best cold air intake for rsx? (ricer jokes welcome)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
I'm sure all the tuner companies are working on iVTEC controllers if no one has one yet ;) Are you *sure* fuel mods would be unnecessary? Since he's staying NA I'm more likely to believe you but a 25% increase in HP generally would warrant fuel upgrades on most cars...

I figure they are as well, but the fact it changes cam timing/phasing as well as profiles makes it far more complex. I believe it also changes depending on how hard you drive and such. Anyway, I don't think he'd need to upgrade fuel components. However, I think an APEXi SAFC or similar would be needed.

I'd say an SAFC and an adjustable FPR as the bare minimums. You never can be too safe :)

efript

Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: efript
why would you ask this question on anandtech... the people here are mostly idiots and know nothing about cars. go to clubrsx.com, they have a lot of info. o, and im a big fan of the rsx-s, great cars for the price.

Did you actually read the thread, or are you just making an ass-umption, asshat?
rolleye.gif

yeah i read it, and you guys dont know sh!t.... the idiot who said he makes more hp than 18.5 with simpler mods is the stupidest out of all of you... you have a turbo, no sh!t it's cheaper to make more hp. dont question me on cars, especially rsx-s, because you don't know sh!t.

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
why would you ask this question on anandtech... the people here are mostly idiots and know nothing about cars. go to clubrsx.com, they have a lot of info. o, and im a big fan of the rsx-s, great cars for the price.

Did you actually read the thread, or are you just making an ass-umption, asshat?
rolleye.gif

yeah i read it, and you guys dont know sh!t.... the idiot who said he makes more hp than 18.5 with simpler mods is the stupidest out of all of you... you have a turbo, no sh!t it's cheaper to make more hp. dont question me on cars, especially rsx-s, because you don't know sh!t.
Go find another forum to troll you elitist prick

efript

Aug 17, 2002
whats funny is you guys are just using this as an excuse to get more posts... nerds.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003

rolleye.gif

That was me
rolleye.gif

You really are a troll. Keep working on that ban.
I don't know sh!t about cars
rolleye.gif
keep making those assumptions while you're at it, asshat.
Typical ricer response, btw. "it's not fair your car makes more power, it's got a turbo! that's cheating!"
rolleye.gif
We're talking about modifying stock vehicles to make more power - my comment was totally relevant.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Originally posted by: Vic
Since when is a CAI rice?
Rice is ugly body kits, big ugly parkbench wings, altezzas, and/or 20"+ wheels.
A CAI is an an actual performance mod, and an RSX-S is a car with respectable performance numbers.

All the recommendations here are good. I just put an Injen CAI on my GF's 2.5RS, and my sensitive butt-dyno says it was a good improvement.
18"+ wheels .

Why would you buy one of those intakes? Can't you get the same results from a home made one?
I got an excellent condition used one for dirt cheap. And generally no.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000

rolleye.gif

Right. So dyno numbers lie? Go look on AEM's site. Nice dyno of that V2 intake making that power on that car. And what makes you the fvckin authority on the RSX-S?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
whats funny is you guys are just using this as an excuse to get more posts... nerds.
And I thought I was in a bitchy mood today!

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001

rolleye.gif

That was me
rolleye.gif

You really are a troll. Keep working on that ban.
I don't know sh!t about cars
rolleye.gif
keep making those assumptions while you're at it, asshat.
Typical ricer response, btw. "it's not fair your car makes more power, it's got a turbo! that's cheating!"
rolleye.gif
We're talking about modifying stock vehicles to make more power - my comment was totally relevant.

where do these people come from?!

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
If you are gonna mod the car at all, on an RSX-S in particular, I definitely wouldn't stop at just the intake. Hondata is the best known name in honda ECU tuning and their RSX-S application is what put their name on the map;

link

Even better, in my opinion, are the results on modified cars. On my Dynapack, a stock RSX-S produces approximately 170-171 axle hp (vs. 160 or so on a Dynojet). With a simple cold air intake, those numbers jump into the mid-high 180's (188 in the case of the test car I worked with). Based on past history with Honda engines, you wouldn't expect to be able to get much more without internal changes, and certainly not with ECU maps. But you'd be very, very wrong. The owner of the 188 hp car purchased one of the first Hondata ECUs and came back to my dyno. The results? 202 axle hp and a torque curve that made over 90% of peak torque from 2000 to 7000 rpm. Just for reference, a stock S2000 produces 210-214 hp on my dyno, so that would mean that the RSX-S, with just a CAI and Hondata ECU, is producing just 10 hp less than the 240 hp S2000! That is very, very impressive.

also, another link on intakes for RSX