Best / Cheapest site to buy eyeglasses?

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I used to use GlassesShop but now they seem to be charging way more. $20 extra for a single vision lens package with a standard-index lens on top of the price of the frame and shipping.

Zenni Optical still looks ok.

Any other ones?

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I went ahead and made a quick spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/136GlnC2MOa34kFHm-WMy5hP-zhykdhhPXm_ff5MuIrY/edit?usp=sharing

I ommitted GlassesUSA because I'm not looking for designer glasses. Prices in spreadsheet are for standard single-vision lenses.

It looks like if you've got time to wait for shipping, Zenni Optical is still the cheapest. If you want glasses within a week, 39DollarGlasses is your only option.

Do those include any coupons you can get? We've generally been able to use things like the Eyebuydirect 15% off + free shipping codes

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Do those include any coupons you can get? We've generally been able to use things like the Eyebuydirect 15% off + free shipping codes

No, prices on the spreadsheet are just list prices. I can't account for random coupon codes. The other places frequently have BOGO or B2GO offers as well.

Basically, with 39DollarGlasses, you're committed to spending at least $64 for a single pair ($39 + $25 anti-reflective, which IMO is mandatory for cutting down on internal reflections).

With Zenni, you can get away with $12 ($7 cheapest frames + $5 anti-reflective). Both merchants have frequent free shipping and BOGO deals. And if you buy three pairs at once with Zenni the shipping cost isn't going to increase by much. Buy three pairs with 39Dollar and your costs will actually be $64 in triplicate.

Last edited:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I'd like to get some prescription sunglasses so I was gonna go into Lenscrafters, where I got my eyeglasses (I get a pair discounted every year through insurance), but I think I'll check out that Zenni site. Should I measure the dimensions of my eyeglasses and find frames that are the same size, in order to get something that actually fits my face?

That's the advantage you have going in-person somewhere. I don't mind paying a little extra to get something I'll be fully happy with.

But fricking a, the fact that Luxotica owns so much of the glasses industry is bullshit. I'm definitely a capitalism fanboy but to me they're a fricking monopoly. Anyway, I guess that's a discussion for another forum.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I'd like to get some prescription sunglasses so I was gonna go into Lenscrafters, where I got my eyeglasses (I get a pair discounted every year through insurance), but I think I'll check out that Zenni site. Should I measure the dimensions of my eyeglasses and find frames that are the same size, in order to get something that actually fits my face?

That's the advantage you have going in-person somewhere. I don't mind paying a little extra to get something I'll be fully happy with.

But fricking a, the fact that Luxotica owns so much of the glasses industry is bullshit. I'm definitely a capitalism fanboy but to me they're a fricking monopoly. Anyway, I guess that's a discussion for another forum.

I checked out that Zenni site and filtered by the size of my current eyeglasses and there were only two sunglasses results, lol. That kinda sucks that they can make your lenses to order (based on your prescription), but you're SOL when it comes to frames and just gotta hope to find something that matches your eyeglasses that you know fit you.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I checked out that Zenni site and filtered by the size of my current eyeglasses and there were only two sunglasses results, lol. That kinda sucks that they can make your lenses to order (based on your prescription), but you're SOL when it comes to frames and just gotta hope to find something that matches your eyeglasses that you know fit you.
Pick a regular frame and add the sunglass tint.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Pick a regular frame and add the sunglass tint.
Hmmm. You still gotta just filter by the size and hope they have something that's close to your size, although they do have more regular glasses frames to choose from than specific sunglasses. I hope I have my prescription at home somewhere, I'll give it a shot later. Thanks!

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Hmmm. You still gotta just filter by the size and hope they have something that's close to your size, although they do have more regular glasses frames to choose from than specific sunglasses. I hope I have my prescription at home somewhere, I'll give it a shot later. Thanks!

Just look into a mirror with a straight ruler over your eyes to determine your PD (pupillary distance).

Then measure the dimensions of your current glasses (lens height, lens width, bridge width, frame width, temple arm length) and you'll be able to find a ton of frames with similar specs. Doesn't have to be exact.

The biggest thing is to get generally the right frame width. Optical shops like in Walmart will be happy to bend the temple frames to curl around your ear for free.

Then just add either a permanent tint or transitions (photo chromatic) tints to your glasses. Their generic photo chromatic tint is only $30 I think. So you get, say, $15 frames + $5 anti-reflective coating + free scratch and UV coatings + $30 transition tint = a prescription eyeglass with transition lenses for $50. That's pretty damn good.

Reactions: DanTMWTMP