Feb 19, 2005
specs:
amd 64 3200+ winchester (939)
msi k8n neo4 platinum/dfi lanparty ut nf4 pci-e
leadtek 6600gt pci-e
80 gig HDD
floppy disk
cdr/rw/dvd combo optical drive

i'm tired of finding stuff and asking, so i decided to ask what you would do if you had to buy the best case w/psu for around $100-120 (keep in mind that if it's newegg, it would be under $110, since i get taxed 8.25% for living in LA)

draco947

Nov 9, 2004
I really like the Thermaltake Tsunami... http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-133-141&depa=1 -- comes in black and silver. you can also get one with a window side panel. It has one 120cm fan in rear, and one in front. if you get the window side panel, it also has a 90cm fan on the side. Mostly toolless design (except for the HDD module, which is removable for easier swapping of drives.)

the antec sonata's are well build, good looking, and quiet, but hot as efficient at releasing heat as other cases.

All depends on what you are looking for in a case....

imported_yetti

Sep 17, 2004
i agree with draco947. i have the antec sonata and his remark about the heat dissapation is spot on. the finish also smudges really easy and your fingerprints are on the case as soon as you touch it. if that's an issue with you.

i'll probably be getting the case he linked.

edelbrock

Nov 12, 2004
I have the Thermaltake Tsunami and love it, except for the fans that came with it. I just finished replacing a 120mm and the 92mm on the side panel. Thermaltake fans died after only 6 months. Replaced them with Panaflo's and had to drill new holes for the 120 because they used a bracket to make changing fans easier. Panaflo wouldn't fit in the bracket because it is 38mm deep instead of the typical 25mm. But otherwise excelent case.

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The OP'er is looking for a case with power supply for less than $120, and the Tsuami does not fit that description. In fact it doesn't even come with a power supply. :p

I agree w/ the Sonata.

edelbrock

Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: John
The OP'er is looking for a case with power supply for less than $120, and the Tsuami does not fit that description. In fact it doesn't even come with a power supply. :p

I agree w/ the Sonata.

I beg to dffer. The Tsunami can be had with a power supply. Here is an example. It is $129. Didn't have time to search around but I bet you can find one for $120.

Newegg has it for $121 but it is $16 shipping.

Edit: Missed the part about Newegg and tax. ZipZoomFly has it for $123

Reiniku

Dec 6, 2004
coolmaster centurion 5
praetorian (no psu :x)
tsunami (id recommend wm, but it the tsunami really is better in a number of ways)
antec SLB (40 AR at compusa - buy a psu after :b)
sonata

... late and i cant think of any more

draco947

Nov 9, 2004

I agree w/ the Sonata.

if you'd look at the link i posted, it is the tsunami WITH the power supply.

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: draco947

I agree w/ the Sonata.

if you'd look at the link i posted, it is the tsunami WITH the power supply.

Oops, I must have missed that part about the Tsunami w/ psu. I was so used to seeing it w/out one. :eek: However the TT psu that it comes with only has 17A on the +12v and is rather weak. Not to mention the case still exceeds the OP's budget.

The Antec TP 380w in the Sonata has 24A on the +12v (Newegg's pic is outdated). Here's the updated specs from Antec. :)

Nessism

Golden Member
Dec 2, 1999
I own a Sonata and while it's a nice case, it really lacks in air flow from the front. I'm either going to get rid of mine or take a dremmel to it. Another thing is that most common pre-packaged case/ps combos come with a 20 pin ATX plug. Why get one of these if you need 24 pin mb plug? It's better to just go with a seperate 24 pin ps in my opinion.

My recommendation is to get either a Compucase LX-6A19 or the slightly larger 6919. Compucase is the OEM that makes many of the popular Antec cases - Antec just has a new front bezel added to the existing Compucase chassis.

These cases use 120mm fans in the backboard and either a 120 or 80 in the front. The front fan is not as important as the back so using an 80 is not really a problem. Some other nice features of these cases is a USABLE AIR FILTER, good airflow from the front, rubber grommets on the hard drive screws, and above average build quality.

Oh, and their cheap :)

Compucase 6A19 for $36 + shipping.

Compucase 6919 for $50 + shipping. Severcase's site seems to be down at the moment but hopefully it will come up later today. Click to "entry level server cases" to find it.

I own the 6919 and like it a lot. It has thick 1mm steel and is heavy as a tank. With a 120 in the back and one slow moving 80 in the front blowing directly on my hard drives the case temps are only a few degrees over ambient. No worry about using a more powerful fan in the front although there's room for an additional fan there.

Good stuff.

Of course, you will need to add a powersupply. See the excellent PS recommendation for that!

diabloII

Banned
Feb 19, 2005
http://www.servercase.com/miva/miva?/Me...=6919&Category_Code=Entry-Level+Server

what are the psus that they give u a choice to select but doesn't have a name (under 20+4pin)

edit: also, will directron install the psu if i order it in addition to the case and what psu would u recommend me to choose from the list in there (24pin recommended, although 20pin will do)

http://directron.com/cslx6a19bl.html

if i don't select a power supply from their site and order it from newegg instead:
1.) will it be hard to install the psu?
2.) is this good? http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-123&depa=0

Nessism

Golden Member
Dec 2, 1999
For help choosing a power supply please read the excellent Power Supply Selection thread posted in this forum. Installing a power supply is the easiest thing you will do during your computer build up :)

Enjoy.

Ed

draco947

Nov 9, 2004
Oops, I must have missed that part about the Tsunami w/ psu. I was so used to seeing it w/out one. :eek: However the TT psu that it comes with only has 17A on the +12v and is rather weak. Not to mention the case still exceeds the OP's budget.

The Antec TP 380w in the Sonata has 24A on the +12v (Newegg's pic is outdated). Here's the updated specs from Antec. :)

yeah, the TT PSU is VERY lacking. i have a TT 480, and I HATE it. getting an Antec Neopower soon.

I think the best thing to do is get a cheaper case with good airflow and buy the PSU seperate; a good psu. ;)

acivick

Jun 16, 2004
Yeah, you're probably better off getting the case and PSU separate. Spend 40-60 on a case and at least 50-60 on the PSU and you should be fine. Just make sure whatever PSU (I'd recommend Antec or Enermax and maybe Super Flower if you're on a budget) has a) at least 20A on the 12V rail and b) a 24 pin connector. My roommate made the mistake of getting a decent PSU but with only a 20pin connector and the adaptor he needed to get hurt his stability.