best card for my pc

guy93

Aug 2, 2008
just wondering, whats the best card i can use at the moment, with a pentium D cpu . 2 gb ram , windows xp. 600 watt psu. currently have 7300 le. i have a pci-e slot , its mostly about the bottleneck. 0WG864 is my motherboard model, can i upgrade to a dual core with this mobo ?

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
if you're using a pentium D i would recommend getting a cheap new mobo/dual core and overclocking it if you want a faster CPU. as for what GPU i would get, what resolution is your monitor and what games do you play?

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
It looks like you may be able to put a C2D/C2Q on that Dell if you like (one of the original 65nm ones, anyway).

As for the card, the sky's the limit. Depends on your needs, price constraints, etc.

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
Isn't a Pentium D a dual core?

Not sure what OP means by "bottleneck"? Are you talking about PCIe, CPU, graphics card or what?

The 7300le was a very weak entry-level graphics card, but it's pointless trying to recommend an upgrade unless OP actually provides some information (e.g. usage pattern (apps/games), display resolution) and what is driving the desire to upgrade (i.e. where extra performance is needed).

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: guy93
just wondering, whats the best card i can use at the moment, with a pentium D cpu . 2 gb ram , windows xp. 600 watt psu. currently have 7300 le. i have a pci-e slot , its mostly about the bottleneck. 0WG864 is my motherboard model, can i upgrade to a dual core with this mobo ?

1. Pentium D is already a dual core.

2. Why would you put a 600W PSU in a budget computer? Transformers have much higher efficiency if you run them closer to their rated value.

3. I would guess that a GeForce 8800 or 9800 would be the limit. That's about what the top of the line card was when the Pentium D was around. The next step up would be something like a GTX280, and you just know that would be a waste of money.