Best camcorder from wannabe filmmaker?

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Hi I'm looking for a easy to use camcorder for short films and other youtube-ish capable videos.

I'm also looking for a editing software that can be used with the said camera. To put this in perspective: WMM can be frustrating for me at times. :D

For the budget, I'm including accessories like additional mics (I'd prefer the camcorder have a mic with decent range) and tri-pods or stands.

Remember - I'm a big n00bie. I owned a first generation Sony DVD camcorder which was all right, but I wasn't able to edit the videos with software other than the included crap - which sucked major.

The camcorder was stolen along with my mother's car and other stuff. Since my birthday's on the 25th, my rich relatives might treat me with something nice.

So anandtech Gods, recommend away!

Remember:

Easy to use

Decent range - will be running and moving camera often - durability is key.

Included accessories and necessary extras.

This is very important to me.

thanks so much!!!

edit: I'm a sophomore in high school so you can imagine I won't have a lot of time to fiddle with the camera. A short learning curve is very very important, and low maintenance.

I have no problem sacrificing performance for that.

thanks again!!

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Oh yeah - I'll be doing personal reflections and *ahem* blogging vids (don't laugh XD) at close range.

consider this pretty please. : )

thanks!

Dewayne2

Sep 15, 2007
Do you have the capabilities to edit (a fast enough computer)?

If you want to do video blogging then get a web cam.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Yeah I have an E6420, 2 gigs of ram, 8600GT, vista, 320 gig HD, etc..

I meant short personal videos where I would just tripod the camera and work from there. I'm hoping I'll be able to put it on my desk and just shift my monitor to the side (desk is about 4 1/2 ft. long.)

suggestions?

I'll need to email relatives in the next week or so.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
How 'aspiring' a film maker are you?

Here is the problem, your budget. A fairly good shotgun mic, new, start at around $250. If you are doing film, you can find all the indie sites to make your own boom pole. Camera with that budget, only one I can think of, the Panasonic 320. Good color and has a mic input according to the spec. Most cameras under $600 do not have Mic in. A good tripod is going to be above $200 too. Until you shot with one, you may not know the difference - it is night and day between a fluid head and a $20 Wal-Mart special. But you can do good work with $20 if you plan ahead.

Craigslist might be your friend with a used tripod, even a mic. If you start up the film path, remember that lighting is you next step.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Originally posted by: gsellis
How 'aspiring' a film maker are you?

Here is the problem, your budget. A fairly good shotgun mic, new, start at around $250. If you are doing film, you can find all the indie sites to make your own boom pole. Camera with that budget, only one I can think of, the Panasonic 320. Good color and has a mic input according to the spec. Most cameras under $600 do not have Mic in. A good tripod is going to be above $200 too. Until you shot with one, you may not know the difference - it is night and day between a fluid head and a $20 Wal-Mart special. But you can do good work with $20 if you plan ahead.

Craigslist might be your friend with a used tripod, even a mic. If you start up the film path, remember that lighting is you next step.

No I'm not going to be doing "short" films in that kind of sense. Only little stuff for school and joke-pictures.

This will be youtube specific, so I don't need anything too fancy. Cheaper is better BTW.

Something that can easily sit on top of my desk for self-reflections/commentary but also should have the ability to move around and focus/register objects from a distance (audio too.)

I'm also looking for a digital camera. I like the powershot, but it's too big. I hate the compact ones because of the super slow shutter (my old takes 4 seconds to take a pic) but the size is my only choice.

HElp?

25th is my birthday!

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Get the Pani 320 then.

Recommend starting another thread for a still cam.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Get the Pani 320 then.

Can you link me the Pani 320? I can't find it anywhere.

Also - are you 100% sure this is a good camera for a n00b like me? I used to have a Sony DVD camcorder (first generation) and it was awfully frustrating. Hope that puts some perspective on my situation.

I need to email my relatives by this weekend.

Thanks!!

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Noobtastic
Get the Pani 320 then.

Can you link me the Pani 320? I can't find it anywhere.

Also - are you 100% sure this is a good camera for a n00b like me? I used to have a Sony DVD camcorder (first generation) and it was awfully frustrating. Hope that puts some perspective on my situation.

I need to email my relatives by this weekend.

Thanks!!
It is number 12 on this list

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ratings.php

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
This seems a little too advanced for me -

http://reviews.cnet.com/digita...17.html?tag=prod.txt.1

Any other suggestions?

Pleeaaase? I'm beyond desperate!

Dude, it is point and shoot with advance features if you want them. Put tape in, record about 15 seconds, stop. Now, just point and record. If you want to fix white balance, it will let you, but you can ignore it and everything will be orange under sodium vapor lights.

You can grow into the camera or just ignore the advanced features. It takes better than 2MP pics too.

For video, just use firewire, rewind, press record, have a sammich (sandwich), and play some solitare.

This one looks pretty nice -

Can I edit using WMM and other editing software?

http://reviews.cnet.com/digita...31288272-.html?tag=sub

When I had my other sony handicam, I was unable to upload the vids to WMM. The included software sucked monkey bawls.
No WMM for you with this one. Requires an editor that can do MPEG and VOB reads.

also can someone recommend me a tripod? (in the $20 - $30 range.)
Get one at Wal-Mart. For $20, they are pretty much the same.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
This seems a little too advanced for me -

http://reviews.cnet.com/digita...17.html?tag=prod.txt.1

Any other suggestions?

Pleeaaase? I'm beyond desperate!

Dude, it is point and shoot with advance features if you want them. Put tape in, record about 15 seconds, stop. Now, just point and record. If you want to fix white balance, it will let you, but you can ignore it and everything will be orange under sodium vapor lights.

You can grow into the camera or just ignore the advanced features. It takes better than 2MP pics too.

For video, just use firewire, rewind, press record, have a sammich (sandwich), and play some solitare.

This one looks pretty nice -

Can I edit using WMM and other editing software?

http://reviews.cnet.com/digita...31288272-.html?tag=sub

When I had my other sony handicam, I was unable to upload the vids to WMM. The included software sucked monkey bawls.
No WMM for you with this one. Requires an editor that can do MPEG and VOB reads.

also can someone recommend me a tripod? (in the $20 - $30 range.)
Get one at Wal-Mart. For $20, they are pretty much the same.

I'll be using the camcorder solely for video, I could careless about pictures. Tape seems kind of old - isn't mini DV the new it?

I need a camera compatible with WMM, and then maybe iMovie and other Apple editing crap.

This is a youtube-ish, so I really don't want to have to jump through hoops just to upload a video.

I need the tripod from online (preferably the same site I'm ordering the stuff) since I'm not paying for it.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003

I'll be using the camcorder solely for video, I could careless about pictures. Tape seems kind of old - isn't mini DV the new it?

I need a camera compatible with WMM, and then maybe iMovie and other Apple editing crap.

This is a youtube-ish, so I really don't want to have to jump through hoops just to upload a video.

I need the tripod from online (preferably the same site I'm ordering the stuff) since I'm not paying for it.

MiniDV is tape. The only other consumer tape formats are VHS, VHS-C, and 8mm (Digital 8 is on the same tape).

WMM and iMovie are firewire ingesters. Also known as iLink.

Youtube is pretty forgiving. MPEG4 is considered their best, but I have seen better from WMV imports.

Same deal with whereever you order it. Look for a leveling bubble if you can with a quick release. After that, the heads are all about equally as bad/good. Remember that thin legs twist when you pan.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005

MiniDV is tape. The only other consumer tape formats are VHS, VHS-C, and 8mm (Digital 8 is on the same tape).

WMM and iMovie are firewire ingesters. Also known as iLink.

Youtube is pretty forgiving. MPEG4 is considered their best, but I have seen better from WMV imports.

Same deal with whereever you order it. Look for a leveling bubble if you can with a quick release. After that, the heads are all about equally as bad/good. Remember that thin legs twist when you pan.

I have no idea what you just said.

What camera do you recommend that is compatible with WMM and iMovie etc.?

Preferabbly >$300

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
? The Panasonic PVR-GS320.
He won't listen.
Nothing is ever powerful enough, yet simple enough and at the same time being cheap enough for Noobtastic. :laugh:

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Originally posted by: Blain
? The Panasonic PVR-GS320.
He won't listen.
Nothing is ever powerful enough, yet simple enough and at the same time being cheap enough for Noobtastic. :laugh:

Well I've been researching the GS and it looks likes it's been having major issues with vista (my OS) and I don't think it's compatible with WMM?

Any other suggestions less than $300?

Only requirements right now are WMM editing compatible...

MiniDV is nice too...more compact.

thx!