Best Buy replacement plan

minus1972

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2000
hey,

When I first bought my iPod last summer the battery didn't charge right and I never got more then thirty minutes out of it. Thankfully I got it back to Best Buy in a week or so and they just swapped it out. Deciding it was worth it, I dropped the forty bucks on a product replacement plan just in case I wasn't so lucky the second time. Now it's about a year and a half later and I'm getting some similar problems, so I went and dug up the papers and it turns out I have to call, get a reference number, ship out my iPod, and then they determine if it's defective or not. I'm wondering if I should send it in or not, since it technically works, but is prone to frequent crashing and the battery life is very short. Any help?

Apr 21, 2004
That's incorrect...if you purchased the PRP (replacement) you can swap it out in store for a comparable unit. If you purchased the PSP (service), then you'll need to go through the process you described. Ipods are one of those lovely items that can have either type of service. If you got the PSP, to make sure they detect the problem, I'd suggest frying it. Otherwise you might have to go through 2 or 3 rounds with them verifying the issues since it can be intermittent. If it was just the battery, then they'd swap it out the battery without much verification but since it's crashing from time to time they most likely won't play with it enough to verify the issue and will disregard it.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: GiggityGiggity
That's incorrect...if you purchased the PRP (replacement) you can swap it out in store for a comparable unit. If you purchased the PSP (service), then you'll need to go through the process you described. Ipods are one of those lovely items that can have either type of service. If you got the PSP, to make sure they detect the problem, I'd suggest frying it. Otherwise you might have to go through 2 or 3 rounds with them verifying the issues since it can be intermittent. If it was just the battery, then they'd swap it out the battery without much verification but since it's crashing from time to time they most likely won't play with it enough to verify the issue and will disregard it.

Nice scam suggestion troll :roll: die please

Apr 21, 2004
Originally posted by: AnyMal

I love ATOT's lifers...this is always their first reaction to anything not within their righteous skew of morality. If you paid for a service plan, have a genuine issue with the item, and they don't recognize it because of their lack of quality control why not make it more obvious? I work for best buy maybe 2 days a month and I see no less then 5 items in those 2 days that have a genuine service issue, but aren't fixed or recognized by their technicians. I've seen some people who have their item for less time then the service dept because they have to keep sending it back. So please stop insisting I die when it is in the interest of customer service.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: AnyMal

I love ATOT's lifers...this is always their first reaction to anything not within their righteous skew of morality. If you paid for a service plan, have a genuine issue with the item, and they don't recognize it because of their lack of quality control why not make it more obvious? I work for best buy maybe 2 days a month and I see no less then 5 items in those 2 days that have a genuine service issue, but aren't fixed or recognized by their technicians. I've seen some people who have their item for less time then the service dept because they have to keep sending it back. So please stop insisting I die when it is in the interest of customer service.

1. AnyMal's not a Lifer.
2. What you're proposing is fraud.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002

Nice fraudulent activities.

Go3iverson

Apr 16, 2000
I'll give you some advice...

Stick to your guns with Best Buy!

I purchased an iPod, 15GB, at Best Buy about 8 months ago. I don't remember why, but I got $30 off on the price, so I paid $269 instead of $299 for a full, complete, iPod. About 5 months after she received it, the unit became defective. It wouldn't load on any PC or Mac and eventually the batter failed. I've had a few iPods myself, but I've never had any troubles like this. I had purchased the replacement plan and we took it in for service. We get a call from Best Buy to say that the unit is being replaced. Great! After three attempts to claim our new iPod, since they kept calling me despite being out of stock, we finally were given a new 20GB iPod, since the 15GB was no longer made. Best Buy refused to allow me the 20GB iPod. They said they could only give me a 15GB iPod in exchange. After arguing, they "allowed" me to pay the $30 difference, for getting mine on sale previously, to equal the $299 of the new 20GB, but they also voided out my warranty, saying that once you have a unit in for service, or replaced, your contract is void.

After about an hour of arguing, I was able to get the 20GB iPod without cost. I bought the AppleCare for it. They've always been great to work with. Just beware of what the CSR offer you as a fair exchange.

Not trying to make this into a moan fest, which isn't my intent, I just want to share this as it may become useful in your situation as well! :)