Best Buy computer SSD issue

swarmer

May 23, 2018
I never use Best Buy myself, because in the distant past when I did use them on occasion, the prices were way too high and the techs and salespeople not only didn't know very much, but made stuff up.

But I do know a guy who is buying a desktop from them, despite my trying to talk him out of it. I'd like opinions on something.

The machine's storage is a 4TB HDD. The one thing I felt strongly about is that he should have the OS on a SSD. He didn't want to do that, because of the added cost. Well, yesterday I saw that Best Buy itself was selling a 240GB SSD for $70. I told him that adding that drive would be really easy, because he could just tell them to add the SSD and slap Windows 10 on it. Everybody would win, including Best Buy, since they'd make a little extra money.

The friend seemed receptive to that, so he called Best Buy. I didn't hear the conversation, but when it was over he said that the Best Buy guy he talked to said that he shouldn't get it, because the machine would already have all the disk drive he needed. So now he's back to not getting an SSD, which drives me crazy, since he's never even experienced the performance improvement that an SSD provides. He says that speed is simply not important to him. That's very frustrating.

So does anyone have any ideas on what else I can say to him? Or should I say nothing, because it's his computer, and he can screw up its performance any way he wants?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Since it's his PC (and money), let him do / don't do whatever he wants with it.

What is common sense to many, there's always some who are set in their ways.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I told him that adding that drive would be really easy, because he could just tell them to add the SSD and slap Windows 10 on it. Everybody would win, including Best Buy, since they'd make a little extra money.
That's not how that works. BB will charge him hundreds of dollars for hardware and OS install. Almost certainly less expensive to choose a system that already features an SSD, than have BB upgrade it.

If you are not going to be performing the upgrade for him, then you need to chillax. The only other reasonable course of help, is to hunt down a better system with a SSD, for less, and link it for him. If he is the instant gratification type, then just stay out of it.

Reactions: PliotronX

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Just get a good dig in when he complains about it being slow for being so new in the near future. Depending on how solid the relationship, this is a good ball busting opportunity. Bring over a laptop and show how fast it boots and opens software for bonus points.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Smoove910

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2006
Why not be a 'good' friend and eat the $70 cost for him. Once he gets the machine from Best Buy, you can download/install a disc clone software and move the Windows installation to the SSD. A 'real' friend will do this. :) LOL

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Why not be a 'good' friend and eat the $70 cost for him. Once he gets the machine from Best Buy, you can download/install a disc clone software and move the Windows installation to the SSD. A 'real' friend will do this. :) LOL
Do that after he's had it a month...

Reactions: PliotronX

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
A customer of mine just bought a new Dell from Costco with an i7 8700, 16GB DDR4, GTX 1050Ti, and a 2TB 7200RPM Drive. Such a fast computer but still very sluggish due to the mechanical drive. We upgraded him to a new 1TB SSD and made the 2TB drive a 'Storage' drive and the system is night and day faster.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
A customer of mine just bought a new Dell from Costco with an i7 8700, 16GB DDR4, GTX 1050Ti, and a 2TB 7200RPM Drive. Such a fast computer but still very sluggish due to the mechanical drive. We upgraded him to a new 1TB SSD and made the 2TB drive a 'Storage' drive and the system is night and day faster.
Shoot, I helped an office with an HP Envy BB "speshul" that had a 7700 (newest gen at the time) 16GB DDR4 with a 1TB... 5400 RPM 2.5". Thing felt as slow as a decade old laptop :(

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
i wouldn't fight too much, let people decide for themselves unless you're their CEO

geek squad is only $100 with the purchase of a new computer (as of this post), which covers security software subscription and three computers or devices for A+ tech support, for phone, remote and in-store support (for one whole year, and renewal is $100), no deductibles or extra service charges, except for class sessions or data transfer.
one time someone asked geek squad to get their iphone messages onto their windows laptop, and geek squad spent seven hours trying to figure out to do that, imagine the frustration, but it got done, somehow.
another time, someone asked geek squad how to install software from a CD onto a new macbook pro, and geek squad hung up on that individual?
the level of service and support is kind of random, but they can install SSD's with recovery media.

just give him a copy of windows 10 x64 - latest season-build on USB.

when and if his computer slows down and he needs more speed, Geek Squad will install the SSD for him and configure his 4TB drive as DATA access, disabling the boot to the UEFI HDD.

on systems with
win7 OS on Samsung 950 EVO's, we're talking like several year old, original never restored-OS environments, cloned from the original HDD's that shipped with the desktops in workstation environments, even when the physical drive was dying?
...extremely amazing speed difference, and seemed to perform better than some win8.1 and win10 SSD configurations.