"Best" budget gaming card for Athlon II X4 / Phenom II X6, and Soul Calibur 6?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Friend's got kind of an older rig running Windows 7, on an Athlon II X4 3.0Ghz quad, with a 120GB SSD, and a GT610.

Was thinking of ordering a 1090T off of ebay, and dropping that in, with one of these cards:
ASRock RX 550 2GB $79.99
ASRock RX 560 4GB $105.99
EVGA GTX 1050 3GB $109.99
ASRock RX 570 4GB $149.99 (after $20 MIR)

He has 4x4GB DDR2, and a decent PSU, though EVGA has some PSU deals, could upgrade his PSU too.

Was kinda leaning in the GTX 1050 3GB direction.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
I would go for the 570, it will be more than 50% faster than the GTX1050 2/3GB

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
My old gtx 960 4gb which is about equal to a 1050ti was slightly bottlenecked by my q9550 at 4.0
1080p res.
My i3 6100 was bottlenecked by the 960.
So if you overclocking you dont need much more than a 1050ti.

My q9550 chokes on the newest games anyway.

1050 3gb seems like a good compromise.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Be aware that the 1090T requires serious juice. Some cheaper mobo's VRM's would puke and die under the load.

ebay gtx 960 or maybe even a 780ti would be fairly cheap and pair well with that vintage computer and Win7 and be faster than most of the cards you listed. The Rx 570 will run similar to a 780ti but the older card should be around $50.- cheaper used.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
RX570 4GB is way faster than GTX780Ti 3GB in new games (with a fast cpu). Not to mention that on ebay the GTX780ti are sold for more than $200.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk8U5FAurSE

Also, just because the Phenom 1090Ti will bottleneck the RX570 it doesnt mean you will not get higher fps than the GTX1050 in the majority of games.

Reactions: f2bnp

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
This thread gives me an opening to ask this.

If we believe that a 1080Ti is around 4X faster than a 1050Ti which can sometimes be bottlenecked by a 1090T. Why do we think that even the fastest CPUs won't bottleneck a 1080Ti or even more so the 2080Ti? Is the fastest CPU 4X faster than a 1090T for gaming? I'm assume proportional scaling here for the CPU-GPU ratio. With the advance of GPUs rapidly outrunning CPUs, have we long passed the point of needing to upgrade to faster GPUs outside of increased resolution?

ey_tony

Oct 6, 2018
Hi guys this is my first post and I just happened to be looking for some info on PSUs and came across this thread and I will add my views for what they are worth if I may.

I'm rather long in the tooth and had a bucket list of things that I wanted to at least try to have a go at before I got too old and PC gaming was one of them.
Currently I'm running a Phenom x 4 955 BE at stock speed and recently as in about 5 or 6 weeks ago, I added a further 4 Gb of DDR3 to bring it up to 8Gb, a new CPU cooler as the old one was terrible and 4 new fans plus a multi-fan controller to my case, two SSDs plus a GTX 1060 3Gb GPU fed into a new 24" 75hz iiyama and amazingly, it runs all of the games I've tried so far, so much so that I'm trying to justify the planned upgrade to a Ryzen 2600 + mobo and DDR4, the combination of which is actually sat at the moment in my 'shopping basket' of the supplier's web site from whom I buy my bits.

I eventually chose the GTX 1060 3Gb model over the 1050 Ti ( which was my original intention to purchase) because of the performance increase relative to price difference...here in the UK depending upon where you shop and the model of GTX 1050 Ti, the price difference was only on average around £20-30 difference with £25 probably the average so it was a better bang for your bucks in real terms as it gives around 40% improvement in performance figures over the 1050 Ti..
In real terms the 1060 3Gb model is only about 5% less efficient due to missing one core than it's 1060 6Gb bigger brother but was getting on for £50 cheaper which made the 1060 6Gb model quite an expensive step up from a 1050 Ti.

No doubt the old Phenom will eventually be overwhelmed by the latest more demanding games and I'll need to upgrade to a more efficient CPU but with the GTX 1060 3Gb model my current set up, I'm playing games such as GTA5 and popular titles like Fortnite, CS:GO etc on highest settings with very good frame rates and with no issues such as stuttering whatsoever. So far, according to some CPU software I've installed I've not even maxed out the CPU and the GPU has barely broken into a sweat during longer playing sessions.
My advice for anyone contemplating purchasing a GTX 1050 Ti would be to seriously consider stretching their budget just a little more, given the increase in performance and going for a 1060 3Gb model even though the 1050 Ti is 4Gb, as my current kit has far exceeded my expectations which I suspect is all down to the GPU.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Hi guys this is my first post and I just happened to be looking for some info on PSUs and came across this thread and I will add my views for what they are worth if I may.

I'm rather long in the tooth and had a bucket list of things that I wanted to at least try to have a go at before I got too old and PC gaming was one of them.
Currently I'm running a Phenom x 4 955 BE at stock speed and recently as in about 5 or 6 weeks ago, I added a further 4 Gb of DDR3 to bring it up to 8Gb, a new CPU cooler as the old one was terrible and 4 new fans plus a multi-fan controller to my case, two SSDs plus a GTX 1060 3Gb GPU fed into a new 24" 75hz iiyama and amazingly, it runs all of the games I've tried so far, so much so that I'm trying to justify the planned upgrade to a Ryzen 2600 + mobo and DDR4, the combination of which is actually sat at the moment in my 'shopping basket' of the supplier's web site from whom I buy my bits.

I eventually chose the GTX 1060 3Gb model over the 1050 Ti ( which was my original intention to purchase) because of the performance increase relative to price difference...here in the UK depending upon where you shop and the model of GTX 1050 Ti, the price difference was only on average around £20-30 difference with £25 probably the average so it was a better bang for your bucks in real terms as it gives around 40% improvement in performance figures over the 1050 Ti..
In real terms the 1060 3Gb model is only about 5% less efficient due to missing one core than it's 1060 6Gb bigger brother but was getting on for £50 cheaper which made the 1060 6Gb model quite an expensive step up from a 1050 Ti.

No doubt the old Phenom will eventually be overwhelmed by the latest more demanding games and I'll need to upgrade to a more efficient CPU but with the GTX 1060 3Gb model my current set up, I'm playing games such as GTA5 and popular titles like Fortnite, CS:GO etc on highest settings with very good frame rates and with no issues such as stuttering whatsoever. So far, according to some CPU software I've installed I've not even maxed out the CPU and the GPU has barely broken into a sweat during longer playing sessions.
My advice for anyone contemplating purchasing a GTX 1050 Ti would be to seriously consider stretching their budget just a little more, given the increase in performance and going for a 1060 3Gb model even though the 1050 Ti is 4Gb, as my current kit has far exceeded my expectations which I suspect is all down to the GPU.
Can you please list the games you tried so far, because my q9550 @4.0 with 1033 memory is faster than your Phenom and games made in the last 2 or 3 year's or so dont do so well.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Can you please list the games you tried so far, because my q9550 @4.0 with 1033 memory is faster than your Phenom and games made in the last 2 or 3 year's or so dont do so well.
What games ? What video card ? and what settings ? If you pick the most demanding games, and ultra settings, of course anything will choke with a 1050TI/1060 and an older CPU

ey_tony

Oct 6, 2018

OK so you've got to accept that I'm not an experienced gamer so I've nothing to compare it with but I am aware of things like stutter, lag, latency etc and all of the popular games I've played so far that I've downloaded from Steam play quite well without the need to reduce settings though I think they will probably be more GPU dependent than CPU dependent.
I think my ram runs at 1600 Mhz if I'm not mistaken.

I don't know which games you play but games like Fortnite I've tried restricting to 60 fps with all settings on 'Epic' but it seems to run just as well capped at 120 fps though the playing average is between 70-90 fps with occasional drops to 50ish according to their counter. With games like CS:GO I don't know the fps but I do know I couldn't play it any faster than what I see on screen with all the textures on high etc. There's certainly no response lag in fact the only lag is in my brain. GTA5 plays well too. World of Tanks is set at 60fps.. For Honour and Vindictus are pretty demanding and they play well enough, in fact any of the FPS or fighting games play really well.

I do admit that I'm not a frames or benchmark junkie...for me as long as the game plays smoothly and comfortably without the need to drop texture levels etc, I'm more than happy which is why I'm somewhat reluctant to put in a new mobo, cpu etc as this one runs like a dream. Apart from the dreadful stock cooler that came with the cpu and a failed HDD from when I built this rig in 2011, I've never had any issues whatsoever.
The 1060 wasn't supposed to even go into this rig as I bought it while I made up my mind on which of the b450 mobos to choose because I preferred a mATX but it needed 6 SATA connectors and the place I buy my gear from was out of stock of the ones I wanted so the 1060 only went into my rig as an experiment and I was really impressed by the performance.

I use an Xbox One controller for some games and a regular wireless mouse and keyboard for the others and I just can't see there being much improvement when I eventually update my mobo etc, at least not with the games I'm playing at present.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
@ey_tony , thanks for the anecdote, that's really re-assuring, that I'm not totally off-track with this upgrade idea for my friend, and that his rig might potentially be able to play semi-modern games @ 60FPS, if I drop in a Phenom II X6 and a 3GB GTX 1050 (I know yours is the 1060). Maybe he'll get 45-50 FPS where you get 60 FPS locked. Or maybe he'll get 60 FPS locked too.

ey_tony

Oct 6, 2018
@ey_tony , thanks for the anecdote, that's really re-assuring, that I'm not totally off-track with this upgrade idea for my friend, and that his rig might potentially be able to play semi-modern games @ 60FPS, if I drop in a Phenom II X6 and a 3GB GTX 1050 (I know yours is the 1060). Maybe he'll get 45-50 FPS where you get 60 FPS locked. Or maybe he'll get 60 FPS locked too.

Hello.
I hadn't realised that the GTX 1050 came in 3Gb size...over here in the UK it's either 2Gb for the regular 1050 or 4Gb for the Ti. The 1060 is available in 3Gb and 6Gb though the 3Gb version has one of its 10 cores disconnected but it only represents a few frames drop in performance in the real world . As I've said, I originally planned on just fitting a 1050 but after looking at performance figures relative to outlay, the 1060 3Gb stood out and was just a bit above my intended budget for a 1050.

I think you might find a fair difference in performance between the 1050 and 1060 3Gb which is why I went for the 1060 though I wouldn't know exactly how this would translate in real time figures. To be fair, in theory my rig shouldn't even begin to attempt to play these games at acceptable frame rates but what convinced me to give it a try was looking at some real-time performances on Youtube with combinations of my old Phenom and different GPUs which was the reason why I popped the card into my mobo in the first place.
Although I'd owned computers since the 1980s, I'd never previously owned a dedicated GPU as having never gamed during that time I'd always just used the onboard graphics to meet my needs.
I wasn't even sure if my mobo etc would accept it or if it would even run acceptably. The results actually took me by surprise to say the least.

My absolutely original intention to have a go at entry level gaming was to go down the Ryzen 2400 G APU route but after looking at the performance, it was clear it would only give an equivalent of roughly a GTX 1030 which while it would have enabled me to try my hand at entry level gaming, I realised that I'd soon need to add a decent GPU if I got into gaming as that APU would only be an entry point and in the end I decided to get the 1060 which is about as good as I'll need for the moment and build around that.
I'll go for a Ryzen 5 2600 + b450 as that is the system build which would give me a few years of future proofing but I'm really in no hurry even though the upgrade cost is not an issue and I could get it all delivered tomorrow.
For the moment, my rig is delivering smooth gaming performance on the popular games though I suspect they are not terribly CPU intensive, otherwise they wouldn't be so popular and any half decent rig should be able to play them. The fact that I'm getting decent performance is I guess all down to the GPU performance though I don't have much confidence that I could play such as Shadow of the Tomb Raider without an upgrade but for most other popular titles, it's more than adequate.

It must also be remembered that CPUs such as the Phenom x 4 which are now old hat to us, are still quite popular in less affluent regions of the world where such as a Phenom based computer is a prized possession. They struggle to afford their parts but most go for a 1050 or 1060 or AMD equivalent and they enjoy their gaming with equipment that many in the affluent West unfairly frown upon.

My advice for what it's worth is that if you're going to use an older CPU then try to find a used 1060 if you don't want to spend the money on a new one...the extra performance from the GPU over the 1050 is well worth the extra expense when combined with such as the 1090Ti and it should give a very satisfactory performance in most popular games and you can transfer it to another rig as you upgrade.