Best Budget 5.1 Surround Sound System (around $100)

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
I'm looking for a decent 5.1 surround sound system for my Xbox, which I'll be using for games and movies, not really for music, although that doesn't matter.

I have the X-530 now and the bass is too boomy for my situation, even when the bass is at the lowest setting. The bass is acceptable when I turn the master volume way down to the point where I can barely hear anything.

These seem like they would be quite a bit a better for roughly $15 more than the X-530: T5400 My dad might purchase these so than I can compare them first hand.

I may also consider a higher quality 2.1 setup instead, but I might as well get 5.1 since surround sound is nice to have. Keep in mind these are going to be used for gaming and movies (not music) through my xbox. So a decent 5.1 system may be best.

What ya'll think? I added a poll just for kicks and giggles. I'm guessing most people will probably vote Logitech just cause of the brand name and popularity of that system.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
It has a tweeter...that's a huge upgrade in itself.

Creative has a reputation of cleaner bass than Logitech (as do all companies apparently).

I think a quality 2.1 setup beats a cheap 5.1 setup anyday for looks and sound quality, but there are always those who like to pan and hear sounds go round in a circle, although in a real competitive gaming situation you really don't have the luxury of enjoying or appreciating that.

antsct

Sep 22, 2005
I was going to get the X-530s but ended up getting the Logitech Z-2300 2.1s and all I can say is WOW! Awesome system, definetly reccomended.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
well the choice is between surround fx and sound that doesn't make u want to hurl.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Originally posted by: antsct
I was going to get the X-530s but ended up getting the Logitech Z-2300 2.1s and all I can say is WOW! Awesome system, definetly reccomended.

Connected to you PC? Through what source?

EDIT: I would have recommended the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. Since they ARE better, but roughly $30 more.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
well the choice is between surround fx and sound that doesn't make u want to hurl.

:laugh: Hard choice, I know. I tested out my Klipsch Promedia 5.1 via SB Audigy comparing 5.1 to 2.1 and they both sound good, but 5.1 just adds so much more immersion it seems. Especially for games and movies. I will do further comparisons later today.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
How are you hooking up now?

You're not getting true surround right? Since the Xbox only outputs 5.1 via digital?

EDIT: If Amazon had these on sale again, these would be a good deal for around your range that would give you real 5.1 surround sound
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...hreadid=1333213&enterthread=y&arctab=y

That's a really old topic and the price is $199 now. And I don't know about true surround sound, not really sure what you mean. Perhaps you mean that the Xbox supports Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound, and the X-530 does not support Dolby Digital. So no I'd guess they're not "true" surround sound. Although sound is coming from all 5 speakers.

And my Xbox is connected directly to the Logitech Game Adapter which is connected directly to the X-530.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Well it seems apparent, based on the votes, that no one has the T5400, or like I said before, everyone thinks, "It's Logitech, it must be better."

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Patrick Wolf

You're not getting true surround right? Since the Xbox only outputs 5.1 via digital?

EDIT: If Amazon had these on sale again, these would be a good deal for around your range that would give you real 5.1 surround sound
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...hreadid=1333213&enterthread=y&arctab=y

That's a really old topic and the price is $199 now. And I don't know about true surround sound, not really sure what you mean. Perhaps you mean that the Xbox supports Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound, and the X-530 does not support Dolby Digital. So no I'd guess they're not "true" surround sound. Although sound is coming from all 5 speakers.

And my Xbox is connected directly to the Logitech Game Adapter which is connected directly to the X-530.

By true surround I mean you're not just playing the stereo signal on all the speakers.

Things happening behind you would actually sound like they were behind you. The center would be a dedicated track rather than just a mix of left and right.

By true surround I mean channels actually represent directional audio and not just stereo playing all around you.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
I realize the thread is old and that's why I mentioned "If Amazon had these on sale again"

There's a few sets on ebay. You might be able to find a set
http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-GMX-5-1_W0Q...2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A set of Logitech z-680s would also give you true surround, but you're going to run into the sub issue with that set again especially.

I'll have to check into those one's linked, thanks. But the Z-680 is like $3xx, way too much.

EDIT: The $3xx is from pricegrabber. It may be inaccurate, or a rip-off.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005

By true surround I mean you're not just playing the stereo signal on all the speakers.

Things happening behind you would actually sound like they were behind you. The center would be a dedicated track rather than just a mix of left and right.

By true surround I mean channels actually represent directional audio and not just stereo playing all around you.

Oh yeah, I see. Yup the X-530 does play the stereo signal on all the speakers. It's not true surround sound, so it kinda defeats the purpose of having a 5.1 system. The Z-5300e has true surround sound for about $140. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
I realize the thread is old and that's why I mentioned "If Amazon had these on sale again"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-GMX-5-1_W0Q...2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A set of Logitech z-680s would also give you true surround, but you're going to run into the sub issue with that set again especially.

I'll have to check into those one's linked, thanks. But the Z-680 is like $3xx, way too much.

I don't think the z-680s were ever $300+ even when they came out, but I could be wrong.

z-5500 can be had for around $225 and the z-680s have always been cheaper than that.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001

Oh yeah, I see. Yup the X-530 does play the stereo signal on all the speakers. It's not true surround sound, so it kinda defeats the purpose of having a 5.1 system.

Yeah, so unless you really like the stereo surround, maybe get a decent 2.1 system or get a DD decoding 5.1 set.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005

I don't think the z-680s were ever $300+ even when they came out, but I could be wrong.

z-5500 can be had for around $225 and the z-680s have always been cheaper than that.

The Z-680 isn't even listed on Logitech's website. What's going on there?

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001

The Z-680 isn't even listed on Logitech's website. What's going on there?

It's an older model. It's like a 5.1 version of the z-560s with a decoder box.