Best browser for Windows?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
I was wondering, which browsers have a sandbox? I believe chrome does
I am hoping all of the major ones have that capability soon...

Chrome and IE both do. IE's can be improved by using the "enhanced protection mode (EPM)" in the advanced tab of internet options (this uses AppContainers on Windows 8+) and the 64-bit processes for EPM. Chrome's sandbox is actually better on linux (chroot + seccomp among other things).

Firefox does not and I am unsure about Opera. Hopefully with the feature to leverage multiple processes Firefox will also add some sort of sandbox although I don't think that's the original intention of using multiple processes (which is stability, e.g. a tab crashes the browser won't).

You can enhance the mitigation in all browsers with EMET (not limited to just browsers). Importing the popular software profile after installing with recommended defaults includes all of the above browsers.

G73S

Mar 14, 2012
how can anyone in their right mind use Chrome when it doesn't have a WYSIWYG editor

like in forums, if you copy/paste a post, it doesn't copy the images, links, formatting, just plain text! such a modern browser missing such a vital feature makes me in no way be able to use that crap

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
That's not Chrome, that's just the forum that isn't well made or well tested.

That said, how can anyone use chrome when it doesn't even have tab overflow. And that's just one of the many MANY features that are sorely missing.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I see this is an older thread but I'll at my two cents. I prefer Chrome on my Windows machine. On my Linux machine Firefox seems to work the best for me.

I don't think there is a best browser though. It depends to much on personal preference and what each individual user needs, expects and wants out of the browser they choose.

G73S

Mar 14, 2012
That's not Chrome, that's just the forum that isn't well made or well tested.

That said, how can anyone use chrome when it doesn't even have tab overflow. And that's just one of the many MANY features that are sorely missing.
no man it's not the forum, it doesn't have a WYSIWG editor. In the past, there was an extension you could add to achieve this, but Google disabled the ability to install it now.

It is on any forum, vBulletin, phpBB, you name it, even when I am copying content from a site onto my WordPress site builder, it just copies plain text, it purely sucks

oh did I forget to mention that if you use a higher scaling DPI on your screen the icons in Chrome look so tiny, like they totally ignore your scaling

I don't understand how anyone uses that browser really and actually be happy with it

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
no man it's not the forum, it doesn't have a WYSIWG editor.
Dude, it's not the browser, it's the forum. No browser has a built in WYSIWYG editor, that's like having a built in Facebook chat or a built in smiley selector.

Anyway, it's not the browser.

G73S

Mar 14, 2012
Dude, it's not the browser, it's the forum. No browser has a built in WYSIWYG editor, that's like having a built in Facebook chat or a built in smiley selector.

Anyway, it's not the browser.
all I know is I copy/paste a post here which has links, formattings, pics, it gets copied WITH everything in Pale Moon. Even Firefox is the same obviously.

Try it with Chrome, and see how it is copied as plain text.

Go ahead, try copy / pasting this in Chrome and Firefox/Pale Moon and see the result:
Test Link

Image test:

eu0mrt.gif

Some BOLD text:

and check this link:

Is there anyway to make the WYSIWYG editor work in chrome without the extension?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I run IE, Chrome, FF, Palemoon under Windows 8.1 and favor Palemoon lately.

I run safari on my mac as well and it sux.

Palemoon and FF are sort of siblings though, the former just a scaled back version.

Browsers are very subjective IMHO though....go with what you like and be done with it.

G73S

Mar 14, 2012
I run IE, Chrome, FF, Palemoon under Windows 8.1 and favor Palemoon lately.

I run safari on my mac as well and it sux.

Palemoon and FF are sort of siblings though, the former just a scaled back version.

Browsers are very subjective IMHO though....go with what you like and be done with it.
I haven't used FF since 1 year since I discovered Pale Moon.

I would like to ask j00, what is your opinion honestly when it comes to FF vs. Pale Moon.

In terms of speed, interface ?

Dude111

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2010
bigrash said:
Internet Explorer. I hate all the other browsers.

I agree with you....... Nothing wrong with IE .. THE END USER DETERMINES HOW GOOD THE BROWSER IS!!! (People are so brainwashed its sad)

inf1nity

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2013
why do we have these threads every month?

Anyways to answer the OP, its all a matter of personal preference. Most people will be okay with chrome, but i personally like firefox, for its customization abilities and interface.

I use PaleMoon, an improved version of firefox.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Pale Moon here too. Ever since I switched to it 1.5 years ago, I could never touch Firefo, Pale Moon's interface and speed rock

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
I agree with you....... Nothing wrong with IE .. THE END USER DETERMINES HOW GOOD THE BROWSER IS!!! (People are so brainwashed its sad)
That just makes no sense whasoever. He just said he hates all other browsers, you just said the end user determines which browser is best, and you say you agree with him?!

IE is fine. Usable. Stable. Proper.

It doesn't mean it's good. A FIAT Punto is fine, usable, stable, proper. Doesn't mean it's better than a Ford Focus. It may be better in some very specific use case, but not to most people it isn't.

Same applies to IE.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I seem to use Chrome no matter what platform I'm on. It's kinda cool that it keeps my bookmarks and history synced on my phone, tablet, laptop, and desktop.

G73S

Mar 14, 2012
I seem to use Chrome no matter what platform I'm on. It's kinda cool that it keeps my bookmarks and history synced on my phone, tablet, laptop, and desktop.
WOW, what a rare feature.

Whatever happened to Xmarks for keeping bookmarks not only on your Chrome, but across all browsers?

that feature is nothing great to talk about

nemesismk2

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
www.ultimatehardware.net
I use Firefox most of the time but only with windows xp and with windows 7 i use internet explorer 11. i try out google chrome sometimes to see if it's improved but wish that google wouldn't concentrate so much on raw speed.

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
I will say Firefox, cause it's more stable than Chrome. But I use Chrome. For two particular reasons,
A: I don't know what the feature is called, but it starts loading a webpage while you're typing it's address. I like that feature very much. By the time you are done typing it, the page is fully loaded.
B: YouTube videos definitely play a lot better in Chrome than in Firefox. I live in a place where I have a mere 2 mbps connection, and I hate it when videos get paused at middle. Not only YouTube but other G related apps respond better in Chrome than Firefox.

IE is also good. Some people keep bashing it without even trying the new versions. The IE we knew back in 06/07, those days are gone, and it's a completely different browser now.

gmaster456

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2011
Have been with Firefox since v.2.0 and haven't looked back. It's the first thing I download on every machine. It's light, powerful, has great extensions, and I actually prefer having the search bar separate from the address bar. Don't ask me why. Don't really have many issues with the others but firefox is what I am comfortable and familiar with. Performance is also fantastic.

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
IE is also good. Some people keep bashing it without even trying the new versions. The IE we knew back in 06/07, those days are gone, and it's a completely different browser now.
Yeah and it's still crap. Good enough. But crap.

To be fair though, I think the people you're referring to are the kind of people who will bash any browser that is not the browser they use. And that's either because they're retards, or because the browser they use is really the only one that's even remotely good by their standards.