Best brand of gaming headsets for pc?

Mekeirel Jonas

Apr 8, 2015
everybody have his own opinion but i want to know yours opinion . if you have examples of headsets comment ok :)

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
The best gaming headset is not a headset at all.

You will get far better sound quality for the money out of a regular set of headphones.

My humble opinion is that my current setup is the best bang for the buck (well maybe not cheap) setup you can buy.

PC -> HRT Music Streamer II+ -> FiiO E9 headphone amp -> AKG Q701's

You could obviously spend thousands of dollars and get better than what I have, but this is my favorite setup for under $1000.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
I am currently running DT 990 (600ohm) with Asus Xonar STX (built in amp), you can turn any high and set of headphones into a headset for a measly 10$ http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic...=1428515588&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=zalman+micr

With that being said, for the money, you're not going to get much better (imo) than the SteelSeries Siberia V2 headset for pure gaming.

I seriously cannot say enough about them, and they're just 60$ http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-S...515656&sr=8-3&keywords=steelseries+siberia+v2

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
I've been really happy with my Corsair Vengeance 2100.

These right here are the shit. They sound solid for gaming stuff, they're breathable and light so wearing them for hours at a time is easy, the mic is good sounding, the wireless has good range and lasts easily 10 hours between charges. I've had a pair for about a year now that I use pretty much daily and they work great.

Edit: the one you linked to is an old model, although it's also the one I have, they aren't $150, they're in the $90 range.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Gaming-Wireless-Headset-CA-9011127-NA/dp/B00N803C7W/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

They are good(audio wise), but my experience with Corsair Headphones has not been good. I really liked the sound, but Build quality is poor. I have had 2 HS1s that had the cable break where they connect to the ear cup. My 2100s had a clamping screw pull through the threading causing an ear cup to fall out. I have been so disappointed that I'll probably never buy from them again.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
The best gaming headset is not a headset at all.

You will get far better sound quality for the money out of a regular set of headphones.

My humble opinion is that my current setup is the best bang for the buck (well maybe not cheap) setup you can buy.

PC -> HRT Music Streamer II+ -> FiiO E9 headphone amp -> AKG Q701's

You could obviously spend thousands of dollars and get better than what I have, but this is my favorite setup for under $1000.

For maximum sound stage and positional accuracy, there doesn't seem to be a better headphone on earth than the Q701's without spending $1,500.00 on the Sennheiser HD800's. I was going to go with the Q701's, but I wanted a compromise for more base since I enjoy that, so I went with the Fidelio X2's and they are great.
Anyway, for an actual gaming headset, I enjoyed a Logitech G35 for several years and it was great for $100. If I were to buy an actual gaming headset today, it would be the Sennheiser pc360.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
A good set of cans designed for real audio listening + a ModMic.

Really...the ModMic is awesome.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I bought a set of HyperX Clouds for Christmas and I really like them. Much more comfortable than the turtlebeach set I had previously. They come with two different sets of ear pads.

http://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-...&qid=1428525828&sr=1-2&keywords=hyper+x+cloud

How do these compare for music?

The trouble I'm finding is that headphones seem to be either good at music or gaming. But rarely both.

I'm not looking for studio monitor quality sound. I just want a $100 pair of cans that can do both music AND gaming well while being comfortable.

These are interesting to me in that they come with cloth earpads. My current cans (JVC HARX700s) had this plasti-leather earpads that are now dissolving. So I take them off and my ears/face are covered with these little black specs of flaking plasti-leather.

Time to upgrade.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Astro makes a $100 model I think. Also, check out Skull Candy branded headsets for gaming.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Astro makes a $100 model I think. Also, check out Skull Candy branded headsets for gaming.

Found the Astro A30 for $99 on Amazon.

But I'm skeptical. First marketing point:

"CUSTOMIZABLE SPEAKER TAGS Change-up your style on the A40 or A30 headsets with our magnetic Speaker Tag system. Or, customize your setup by designing your tags at our online Speaker Tag Customizer."

I couldn't care less about style or the way they look.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Found the Astro A30 for $99 on Amazon.

But I'm skeptical. First marketing point:

"CUSTOMIZABLE SPEAKER TAGS Change-up your style on the A40 or A30 headsets with our magnetic Speaker Tag system. Or, customize your setup by designing your tags at our online Speaker Tag Customizer."

I couldn't care less about style or the way they look.

Good at both, but cost $160
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD900X-Open-Back-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B009S331VU

Good at music and legendary at gaming, but cost $120
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...ie=UTF8&qid=1428599787&sr=1-1&keywords=ad700x

Amazing at both and only $100. Popular for gaming.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...ie=UTF8&qid=1428599787&sr=1-3&keywords=ad700x

If you want an actual gaming headset, you will pay for gimmicky stuff and get less sound quality. If you buy something like the above suggestions, you will have very high sound quality with no gimmicky stuff. Use a sound card for 5.1 surround simulation and a cheap clip on mic or a modmic and you're all set.

CropDuster

Jan 2, 2014
How do these compare for music?

The trouble I'm finding is that headphones seem to be either good at music or gaming. But rarely both.

I'm not looking for studio monitor quality sound. I just want a $100 pair of cans that can do both music AND gaming well while being comfortable.

These are interesting to me in that they come with cloth earpads. My current cans (JVC HARX700s) had this plasti-leather earpads that are now dissolving. So I take them off and my ears/face are covered with these little black specs of flaking plasti-leather.

Time to upgrade.

They sound good to me, but I certainly am no audiofiend. I switched to the cloth ear pads now that it has warmed up some, those vinyl ones or whatever they are make my ears sweat. :awe:

A friend on Ventrilo says that the mic doesn't sound as crisp as the old TBs but not bad.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I am currently running DT 990 (600ohm) with Asus Xonar STX (built in amp), you can turn any high and set of headphones into a headset for a measly 10$ http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic...=1428515588&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=zalman+micr

With that being said, for the money, you're not going to get much better (imo) than the SteelSeries Siberia V2 headset for pure gaming.

I seriously cannot say enough about them, and they're just 60$ http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-S...515656&sr=8-3&keywords=steelseries+siberia+v2
I have the SteelSeries Siberia V2 headset and I love it. Got mine on clearance for ~$45 IIRC because they have the CounterStrike Global Offensive logo. Like I care how they look.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Just get good general purpose headphones. Gaming specific audio equipment tends to be overpriced for what you get.

Thats why I use a generic amp with regular spring clip speakers. Dirt cheap, excellent quality.

asteldian

Nov 25, 2013

How is the Mic on this?
I game in the same room as my wife and headsets tend to pick up her voice rather easily, so I am looking for a headset which will cancel her out well while not requiring me to shout down the mic to be heard.

I have been leaning towards the HyperX II as I heard good things about that, but am open to other suggestions

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
After some research, I'm leaning towards:

Superlux 668B headphones ($37)
Asus Xonar amp ($26)
Velour earpads: ($9)
Zalman zm mic ($10)

$82 total

I've been using onboard sound processing forever. Will the Xonar (or any soundcard) really make a big difference like all the reviews say?

I'm looking for improvement in music. For gaming, I've never been held back by bad sound. I don't play competitive FPS so I don't really care if I can hear footsteps behind me more quickly than the other guy......

Edit: After more research, I'm thinking the Superlux may be too cheap for me. But I do want open or semi-open cans.....

Last edited:

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
I wouldn't be scared of the superlux.

If you want an alternative Senn HD 558 is nice. Doesn't really need an amp. Comfy cans you can wear for many hours.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001