best brand for ATI 5870

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
Best brand IMO is XFX but Saphire is also good. I really like my 5870, it runs cool, it's very very fast and drivers are rock solid.

lazkataz

Aug 3, 2010
yeah, from what people are saying, i think im gonna go with an XFX 5870. i foound one for $399 off newegg and we're gonna get that one.
heres the link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150476

Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it. Alot of people said that the 5870 is a great card so im happy getting this one. Either way, its still a big upgrade from a 280. Also, anyone here play tf2 or l4d2 alot? Those are the games i play alot (Crysis, SC2, and Bioshock sometimes) I wanna know what kind of framerate u get on those games. cuz with my 280 it was averaging 80-100 FPS, just wondering. Anyways, thanks alot for your advice :)

ebolamonkey3

Dec 2, 2009
I'd say Asus. They do RMA by S/N, so you just tell them the part number on the back, no need for invoice or anything. XFX requires you register your card w/in 30 days of purchase and submit proof of purchase, and if don't have either no lifetime warranty for you :(

netxzero64

May 16, 2009
XFX 5800 series that i saw at overclocker.net created some white marks on the back of the PCB... they were unable to have it warrantied to XFX...

Sapphire is good, but i love powercolor =)

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
My first 5870 was the XXX overclocked version that didn't want to run at the factory overclock. I RMA'd this and XFX returned to me an even faster version card. I've heard some people complain about XFX support but in my opinion they simply want to cover every base and make sure you know what you're talking about before they RMA.
I simply listed everything I had tried and left no doubts to tech support that it WAS the videocard and not some software or power issue. They walked my RMA through quickly.

Also they clearly have a good process for applying the thermal paste as my GPU diod on the OC'ed version idles at 35.

I would definitely buy XFX again.

Last edited:

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
The games you mentioned all run really well, I get 160fps in L4D2 with my setup, but 160 vs 100fps isn't that big of a deal I doubt anyone could notice. I am able to play crysis with very high settings and AA on 2x, not sure of the fps but it runs really well. Bioshock and SC2 run really well, I don't think you'll have to worry about performance really. Mine is a powercolor, I haven't OCed at all and it hasn't given me any major problems (just that annoying mouse enlargement issue but that was fixed a while ago).

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Gtx 470 is a much better deal for the money.
Like Russian said above, why pay 44% more for a card thats 7% faster.
The 5870 is a bad deal.

Can cook eggs at the same time, which of course is why nvidia has had to sell off their remaining stock at fire sale prices.

MangoX

Feb 13, 2001
The only brands i have bought in recent years have been ASUS. They've been good to me.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Hmm that's interesting. I will have to look into that. MSI has been known to use higher quality components than all their competition in the past, so I trusted their claims of using better parts. I'm sure it is partly or mostly marketing, but it was a more sure-fire bet when comparing cards..
especially once I did have a whining noise from my XFX 5870.

what are you smokin'? that is just marketing bs. I've used msi many times for many components before. they're certainly not any better than gigabyte or asus on average, and imho they're typically not even that good. their warranty isn't as good, either.

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
I generally go with Sapphire when I buy ATi.
Sapphire is perhaps the oldest ATi OEM, and it is the largest. They have an excellent reputation.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Of all the ATI cards out there, the one brand I'll never buy again is ASUS. After having two of their video cards die, a 3870 TOP and 4850, and the horrible RMA process (took three returns on each to finally get a working card; the 4850 ended up taking two months in total....the 3870 took 1 1/2 months; both took talking directly to their Level 3 support), I'll never purchase one of theirs again.

If you want to hear the complete sordid stories on both, let me know.....but be aware, ASUS's first RMA cycle for video cards is to just visually inspect the card for obvious damage, if none seen then rebox it and return it. This was admitted by the L3 tech.....supposedly done to weed out the RMA's simply done because of poor OC's and crap.

Their motherboards, on the other hand, have always done well for me, along with the rare RMA I've done with them with a failed mb.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
In no particular order, Asus, MSI, XFX. I'd buy what I felt was the best value from any of these three.

M1A

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
Just got a Gigabyte and love it. Had 4890 Powercolor and hate the CS it took 8 months to get the rebate. I also had Diamond 4890 and liked them. Had a Sapphire 4870 too without any issues. Heard some neg posts about XFX in the last few months about their CS support so I would be careful there. Asus was good to me also with MB's so I would think they would be good also. Kind of a crap shoot you hear both good and bad about them all but you know the old story some people piss at a free beer party.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
I love my Asus cards, they OC like a motherf***er. However, I've heard bad things about their RMA service. Maybe just grab an XFX and then flash with an Asus BIOS.