Best Bike Chain Oil?

Jahee

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2006
Whats the best stuff to use? What is the stuff they put on it when its new? i've found that with stuff like WD40 it turns black and makes everything look messy...

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2005
I used a product called Phil's Tenacious Oil when I was still actively cycling. But that was 10 years ago, I have no idea whats out there now. I just know that Phil's was awesome stuff.

Thorny

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Originally posted by: mugs
I used to use White Lightning when I was into biking.

If that's the kind that's the wax then it's what I use too. Wax > Oil

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Bicycle or motorcycle?

I've had good luck with Pro Link chain lube.

WD-40 is not a good lube. I wouldn't use it at all. Get a good cleaner/degreaser and a clean the chain off, let it dry and then apply the lube to the inside of the chain and wipe off any excess.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Lots of bike chain lubes will work fine. For oil types, be sure to wipe off the excess after you apply it. Otherwise it'll attact dirt and gunk and make your drivetrain wear out faster.

I like White Lightning because it keeps the chain clean. I don't like it because it doesn't last very long and I have to re-lube.

For the person that asked, they still sell Phil's Tenacious.

My favorite is DuMonde Tech. Expensive, but you rarely have to apply it, and the chain stays clean 'n' quiet. You do have to make sure your chain is very clean before first application. Reviews from mtbr.com: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Lube/product_22251.shtml

crumpet19

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
spray with wd-40 or engine degreaser to clean it, let dry, lube with White Lightning.
Now, if you're doing a lot of riding in sand and stuff you might want to use a dry lube otherwise the wet lube will just turn into gunk.

Jahee

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2006
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Bicycle or motorcycle?

WD-40 is not a good lube. I wouldn't use it at all. Get a good cleaner/degreaser and a clean the chain off, let it dry and then apply the lube to the inside of the chain and wipe off any excess.

Its a BMX, just bought one as a little runabout around town instead of using my car for short journeys... And to keep active!

Just digging through my bike stuff i found something called "Lube It" By "Swisscare Made By MOTOREX" Apparently its based on vegetable oil!

Anyone got any feedback on this product or vegetable oil based products, i don't think i've ever used it before..

Edit: Just smelled it, it smells like cooking oil! :laugh: i'm not too sure about this stuff...

Also what other points would i have to oil on it, bear in mind its a BMX so no gears or setup like that... I know how to fix bikes up but never really learnt about maintenance like this..

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Jahee
Bicycle or motorcycle?

Its a BMX, just bought one as a little runabout around town instead of using my car for short journeys... And to keep active!

Just digging through my bike stuff i found something called "Lube It" By "Swisscare Made By MOTOREX" Apparently its based on vegetable oil!

Anyone got any feedback on this product or vegetable oil based products, i don't think i've ever used it before..

Edit: Just smelled it, it smells like cooking oil! :laugh: i'm not too sure about this stuff...

Also what other points would i have to oil on it, bear in mind its a BMX so no gears or setup like that... I know how to fix bikes up but never really learnt about maintenance like this..

Pro Link is great for bike chains. You can get it for around $6 a bottle at your local bike shop which should last you quite a while on a BMX bike. I've ridden thousands of miles and maybe used half a bottle.

Jahee

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2006
Bicycle or motorcycle?

Pro Link is great for bike chains. You can get it for around $6 a bottle at your local bike shop which should last you quite a while on a BMX bike. I've ridden thousands of miles and maybe used half a bottle.

I'll try and pick some up.. Thanks..

It sounds like the bearings on the rear hub need some oil too, will the same stuff be alright?

Dessert Tears

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2005
I used White Lightning for a while, but it built up crud all over my chain. The chain ran fine, but it was covered in a thick armor of grey wax. It was their short-lived "Next Generation" reformulation, and I was lazy and tried to let the "self-cleaning action" do everything.

I've been using ProLink lately, and it seems good. It's recommended by Lennard Zinn, who writes maintenance books and a tech column for VeloNews.

Tbirdkid

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2002
suggestion, use the wd to clean it, then go over it with some stuff called pj1 for motorcycles and bikes. that stuff is awesome. Just be sparingly since it will sling a little...

If you do it right, put it on, then take a dry rag and kind of work it in with it.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Currently Using The Long Distance version of "Finish Line" (green bottle) 'cause there's only one decent bike store where I am and that's what they were selling.

It's held up surprisingly well though.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Whats the best stuff to use? What is the stuff they put on it when its new? i've found that with stuff like WD40 it turns black and makes everything look messy...

WD-40 is NOT a good chain oil!

The best I have found is Boeshield t-9.

Jahee

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2006
Originally posted by: Flatscan
It sounds like the bearings on the rear hub need some oil too, will the same stuff be alright?
Hub bearings are typically loose balls packed with grease. If you service it yourself, you should disassemble, clean, and repack with fresh grease. You need to either keep the old ball bearings or replace them all.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/hubs.html

Thanks for that link :thumbsup: