Best beater sports car?

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
One day, I'd love to have a fun car to absolutely abuse. Hit shopping carts in parking lots, obliterate autocross cones, eat dirt in rallycross, and never wash it. The only thing that matters is fun driving dynamics and CHEAP to own. Cheap parts, cheap insurance, cheap cheap cheap. Paint and curb appeal is for chumps.

Mods are fine.

The first thing that comes to mind is Miata, since Miata Is Always The Answer.

The next idea is maybe a CRX or Civic? But seriously, another fart can Civic....

What do you think? I think this could be a fun thread. ;)

satyajitmenon

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2008
911 GT3 of course. :-D

Serious answer - depends on budget. Still think my old Miata was the most cheap fun car I've ever owned. 3k car + 3k in suspension and wheels/tires and it cornered on rails. No power, but who cares when you're wringing the piss out of the engine and it just keeps running.

EG/ EK civics are fun too.

You could also consider old Celica GTs. JDM BEAMS engines for those things are surprisingly affordable and easy to drop in.

Last edited:

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
The miatas and mazdaspeed mazda3s are probably best, but an older accord with a v6 and the manual might be a bit of fun. You'd need some stiffer springs and some frame reinforcements but the transmissions in those things are a dream.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I am in the same boat and nothing seems to beat the miata once you factor in cost of ownership.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Skip the Fox body Mustang.

Get a '94 or '95 5.0L Mustang in the SN95 body style. Better brakes, 5-lug wheels, much nicer interior, better suspension, 1" longer wheelbase, much quieter interior.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
One day, I'd love to have a fun car to absolutely abuse. Hit shopping carts in parking lots, obliterate autocross cones, eat dirt in rallycross, and never wash it. The only thing that matters is fun driving dynamics and CHEAP to own. Cheap parts, cheap insurance, cheap cheap cheap. Paint and curb appeal is for chumps.

Mods are fine.

The first thing that comes to mind is Miata, since Miata Is Always The Answer.

The next idea is maybe a CRX or Civic? But seriously, another fart can Civic....

What do you think? I think this could be a fun thread. ;)

Miata is the answer because it's just about the only cheap legit "sports car" old enough, rather than a passenger car made to look sporty. It also has the benefit of being slow enough to drive fast.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Fox body Mustang. Nothing ever beats it for availability of cheap parts.

I'm a sucker for a 91-93 coupe. I've owned a 92 vert and a 93 hatch. Loved them both.

5c3f7b2266a4f9954ac2387a67d79788.jpg

Not my car...sadly

Reactions: HitAnyKey

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Some of the most fun I've ever had behind the wheel was a string of older cop cars. Bought on the cheap at auction, abused beyond belief, then sold at a profit.

One particular black crown vic survived numerous 100 fogger shots of NOS at the local drag strip with nothing more than colder plugs and 93 octane. No tune, no additional fuel, just a single jet ahead of the MAF. Stupid but fun.

Another did many passes thru ATV trails and fire roads at speed. Intentional destruction was desired but not achieved on that one either.

After I learned all sorts of tips and tricks for the ford 2v 4.6 I bought my current 2003 mustang. It's too pretty and nice to hoon it hard. I've taken it to the track but don't want to blow it up. It's tuned conservatively. I've never taken it on a dirt road.

There have been lots of other fun cars in my stable both expensive and cheap. The more beater the car is the more fun I seem to have in it.

Reactions: angminas

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I guess you ballin if you buy a 6k car to do this

Hit shopping carts in parking lots, obliterate autocross cones, eat dirt in rallycross, and never wash it.

Tylanner

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2004
Focus SVT is the answer...the premium over a base Focus is minimal and there are plenty of fine examples to choose from.

Otherwise Miata but you'll pay for RWD and will likely hate the ragtop.

S2000 legend status is so far out of the bag to get a decent deal on one.

E36 BMW would be fun but not exactly cheap to work on.

Cobalt SS...the usual suspects...wouldn't call it that interesting.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Focus SVT is the answer...the premium over a base Focus is minimal and there are plenty of fine examples to choose from.

Otherwise Miata but you'll pay for RWD and will likely hate the ragtop.

S2000 legend status is so far out of the bag to get a decent deal on one.

E36 BMW would be fun but not exactly cheap to work on.

Cobalt SS...the usual suspects...wouldn't call it that interesting.

How so?