Best Arcade shooter for PC

INGlewood78

Dec 22, 2002
I'm looking for the best graphical side scrolling shooter for the PC (i.e. Raiden, Ikaruga, etc). Are there even any out there??? Does anyone have any in mind that they have played that they can recommend?

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Unfortunately there aren't any console style shmups on the pc. You could always buy PS1 shooters and play it on the pc via an emulator. Thats what I use for my ps1 games and they look miles better.

I'm sure there are pc shmups that are exclusive in japan, but I know of none (except for various pc ports of Darius Gaiden, Rayforce (Layer Section 3) among the very few). I wish they made some quality console style shooters with awesome visuals for the pc, but you best bet is to stick to consoles.

klah

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2002
Have you tried Codename Gordon? It is a free 40MB download using Steam. Looks similar to Contra, but haven't played it personally.

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Codename Gordon is ok.. but its more like the old pc action game Abuse with its mouse aiming. Its not even close to Contra, but its certainly worth a try.

Boy... speaking of Contra, Konami has been doing a really nice job with their console to pc ports like the Silent Hill series, TMNT, Metal Gear Solid 2..etc.. why can't they port the ps2 Contra?? Its quite a nice and very challenging game. Gradius 5 looks fantastic on the PS2 as well.. I pray for a pc port.

INGlewood78

Dec 22, 2002
the reason why i want it on PC is bc I can crank up the resolution so that it look very nice...I saw an Ikaruga emulation on a DC emulator on the PC...wow, it looked nice. Wish I had the emulation and rom..
=(

John P

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Warblade is pretty cool - think Galaga/Galaxian.

I also have an old game (top scrolling shooter) called Raptor that works in Win XP but I haven't been able to find it anywhere to download. I have installed on a couple of older machines but I don't have the installation file any more.

Hadsus

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2003
Duke Nukem Manhatten Project......came out a couple of years ago so you might have trouble finding it. Very decent sidescroller.

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Hadsus
Duke Nukem Manhatten Project......came out a couple of years ago so you might have trouble finding it. Very decent sidescroller.

Thats about as close to contra as you'll get on the PC. Its a fine arcade style shooter with pretty good graphics. Wish it had better bosses, but you should be able to find it for 10 bucks or less now.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Yeah, Warblade is pretty good. There is a 15-level demo on their site that can be downloaded for free. Total, I think it's got 100+ levels with some pretty big bosses. I've been thinking about getting the full versions, as it's only like $15 or so.

John P

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Looks like Raptor and some other arcade shareware is available here:

Downloads

I haven't downloaded from them before, I'll have time to check it out later.....

Hadsus

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2003
Hahah......saw the Wolf 3-D demo and DL'd it. Actually works in XP.....plays like a warm, fuzzy blanket, LOL.

John P

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hahah......saw the Wolf 3-D demo and DL'd it. Actually works in XP.....plays like a warm, fuzzy blanket, LOL.

None of the download links work for me. Did you use the link I posted?

INGlewood78

Dec 22, 2002
just got a DC emulator with Ikaruga. OMG...looks so nice...esp with 6xAA and 16xAF...I'm a happy camper :D

Hadsus

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2003
Originally posted by: John P.

None of the download links work for me. Did you use the link I posted?

No, I just did a google search and found another link. I saw the Wolf 3-d link though which gave me the idea to find a link that worked.

Winchester

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Danget, I was playing Codename Gordon and exited to the menu and WTF, I cant get back to where I was all I could do was create a new game. I was near the end on level 7 .

Anyone know how I can get back to level 7?

Apr 12, 2010
MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198.jpg