Best App for remote tech support?

mikehende

Sep 15, 2014
Hey guys, I normally would ask a person to install free Teamviewer to remotely take over their pc but sometimes I would come across a person who doesn't know how to install a software. I am seeking the easiest way for the average pc user for me to take over their pc and also one which will allow me to restart their pc and log me back on without them having to be present each time I will need to restart and log back in.

Anything you guys can recommend for this and if possible a free option as I don't do this on a regular basis please?

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
For Windows 10? The built-in Quick Assist has been amazing for family members. You login with an MS account and provide them a code. Has worked across many different router configurations too. No need to open any ports or install software.

If you need to reestablish connection after a reboot, you'll need to enable regular Remote Desktop, IF their Win10 installation is Pro... often it won't. :(

mikehende

Sep 15, 2014
Thanks but I think I will need something universal for whatever pc or mac OS a person should have? Like when dell or HP does screensharing, they seem to have an easy setup.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
There is No magic solution, the computer has to be ready for Remote.

If the remote person knows how to maneuver Win (7/8/10 whatever he/she has) Settings, then RAZEL solution is the simplest one.

Otherwise your TeamViewer Solution is the way the go.

Personally when I have the capacity to install myself I use a portable Version of Ultra-VNC, once installed is the simplest way to go. However, its initial configuration is more complicated than TeamViewer.

:cool:

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Wouldn't you need a VNC to control/restart a remote PC? I've personally never seen any of these free apps let you have that much control. TV doesn't actually have to be installed anymore, you can run it as a 1 time instance.

sonitravel09

Jun 25, 2014
I have been using BeAnywhere. It works in any place, at any time and it's easier to work, simple and secure. I'm very grateful with its performance and it solves any kind of IT problems.

mikehende

Sep 15, 2014
I appreciate the help guys but I am seeking something free with the features mentioned because I don't get remote jobs often, small job maybe once or twice per year to like clean a virus.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I appreciate the help guys but I am seeking something free with the features mentioned because I don't get remote jobs often, small job maybe once or twice per year to like clean a virus.

I am not aware on the surface of something that is both free and easy. As mentioned above, VNC has completely free options. As soon as you get into something that's going to hold someone's hand the whole way, chances are (like TeamViewer) it's not going to be free for business use, which it sounds like you're doing. If you're doing this as a job, you or your employer should look at the licensing costs associated with the software you're evaluating. As far as I'm aware, you're going to have to use something that will require configuration (like VNC) or pay for something (Teamviewer, Logmein, Splashtop, etc.) that does most of it for you.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
AnyDesk is my fav but as part of our N-central licensing Mspanywhere has some really cool features I haven't seen in other remote control tools. Pricey but I wonder if its comparable to team viewer.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
So what's wrong with TeamViewer QS (QuickSupport) that is free and require no installation?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
OP is looking for something that runs as a service, which I don't think TV QS does.

You would need the full version installed with a permanent password, IIRC.