best android set top box?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I was looking at Android set top boxes recently, and was surprised that prices have gone down so much. For a while now I've wanted an Android based set top box so that I could put several of my Humble Bundle games on it, and also so I could watch a variety of video file formats on my TV.

I think I would like something very similar to the Beelink X2, but I'm looking for bluetooth, so I can use a bluetooth game controller as well.

Can anyone recommend an android set top box that will allow me bluetooth wireless gaming, netflix and local video file playback at a decent price? Thanks for any suggestions!

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
I have something similar to this one (mine has 16Gb instead of 8Gb). I've had quite a few different android STB's, but this is by far the fastest I've used! It's tiny & doesn't look like much but is very capable.. Good design & hardware for $59.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161885876472?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

s-l1600.jpg

"Hardware Specifications

Chipset: Amlogic S812 Quad core Cortex A9r4 2GHz

GPU: Octa-core Mali-450MP GPU @ 600MHz

ROM: 8GB NAND FLASH

RAM: 2GB DDR3

Main Features

Bluetooth: Bluetooth V4.0

3D; Hardward 3D graphics acceleration

Support Decoder format: HD MPEG1/2/4,H.265, HD AVC/VC-1,RM/RMVB, Xvid/DivX3/4/5/6 , RealVideo8 /9/10"

I added a Gearhead wireless keyboard w/track pad (not Bluetooth) for a better overall browsing experience. Also, I don't recommend getting one with less than 2Gb ram. I have mine pretty loaded up, and it's using well over 1Gb. Any of these boxes that have 2Gb, and the Cortex A9r4 & Mali-450MP will serve you well. This is the pricier one I have..
s-l1600.jpg

Here's another w/free keyboard..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UHD-4K-KODI...-FREEKEYBOARD-Quad-Core-2GB-8GB-/161813556395

This seller appears to be in the United States, and there's a few others..

http://www.amazon.com/Amlogic-Android-Smart-Vensmile-Phone/dp/B00W4ZN7PE

Last edited:

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
I should add, the main difference between these boxes is support. The DigiXstream has a Wizard that loads the box up really well, and built in "Quick Support" that is actually a Team Viewer session & they can get you fixed up right away. You pay for that tho in price. http://digixstream.com/
The hardware is basically the same.

Last edited:

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Best? Meaning what exactly? Cheapest? Best quality? Do you really prefer Android or do you just think that is the only thing available? Here are a couple I ran across that looked cool (notice the Intel quad core running much faster):

MINIX NEO Z64 Android4.4.4 Quad-Core Smart TV Box Mini PC & Media Streaming Player, 1.8GHz Intel Bay Trail 64 bit Atom Z3735F w/ 2GB RAM, 32GB ROM

http://www.amazon.com/MINIX-Android4-4-4-Quad-Core-Streaming-Player/dp/B00OWT3KPC/

Windows 10 version:

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Bluetooth-Wireless-Touchpad-Keyboard/dp/B00XVYQN26/

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
I know you said decent price, but the nvidia shield tv is an incredible box at $200. I purchased one last week and am very pleased with it. I highly recommend it if you can afford it.
You can use plex to stream your local videos to your TV but this can be done with cheaper devices as well.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Either a FireTV or a Shield.

None of the other brands have a history that you can trust. They will be left behind on some old and hacked up version of Android, requiring a new box when Netflix updates their app to something that won't work with the hack.

AssassinHTPC

Sep 25, 2013
If you can wait a little while. We are having a Android Set Top Box comparison in our 2016 Hardware guide we are hoping to be releasing this week.

We've compared about 20 different android boxes and will have our recommendations listed on it!

-Ben

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
If you can wait a little while. We are having a Android Set Top Box comparison in our 2016 Hardware guide we are hoping to be releasing this week.

We've compared about 20 different android boxes and will have our recommendations listed on it!

-Ben

Cool! Please send me a note when that is up! Either way, I think it is great that prices have come down, and performance has gone up. Nvidia Shield is way out of my price range. I'm looking for something $70 or under, really.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
FYI. Shield tested ok. But not actually in our top pics! Stay tuned I'll let you know.

I don't know how you are testing these boxes then, the Shield is easily the best Android box out right now.

It is the only one I know of that can:

-properly play 24p content with 23.976 Hz display switching
-play certain HEVC and VP9 content
-deinterlace via the hardware
-play VC1 content in hardware

all without some special hacked up video player that will never be updated once the device is being sold.

The only limitations of the Shield that I know about are it can't bitstream HD audio outside of a special player and it can't do full RGB color space (which a lot of TVs can't handle anyway).

It is in a class by itself right now. No other Android device comes close to it for acceptable video playback. Hell it is the only Android device I would even consider switching my Chromeboxes for.

Last edited:

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I don't know how you are testing these boxes then, the Shield is easily the best Android box out right now.

It is the only one I know of that can:

-properly play 24p content with 23.976 Hz display switching
-play certain HEVC and VP9 content
-deinterlace via the hardware
-play VC1 content in hardware

all without some special hacked up video player that will never be updated once the device is being sold.

The only limitations of the Shield that I know about are it can't bitstream HD audio outside of a special player and it can't do full RGB color space (which a lot of TVs can't handle anyway).

It is in a class by itself right now. No other Android device comes close to it for acceptable video playback. Hell it is the only Android device I would even consider switching my Chromeboxes for.

No Full RGB color space is the reason I returned the Shield TV. I'm using a PC monitor for a display for my Xbox One and PC since I don't have a TV nor do I have room for TV in my bedroom so devices I buy must must have full RGB support or they are useless to me. If I had a TV it would be different.