Best Air Solution?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hytek369

Lifer
Mar 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Jojo1971
Originally posted by: RussianSensation
SP-94 vs SP-97 vs. SLK-900U vs. Zalman 7000A-AlCu vs. 7000A-Cu

SilentPCReview

its pretty clear that when Thermalright's heatsinks are coupled with a panaflo fan, regardless of rpm speed, the Zalman's beat out the best from Thermalright. Unless you have a smart fan, or fan that pushes a lot of CFMs (--> read loud) then it's better to stick with the Zalman due to its compatibility with all 3 sockets, slightly better performance, and lower price level.

my sp-94 beats my zalman cnps7000 at the same noise level...im using a panaflo L1A

both are made of great quality. i guess the zalman is a better deal since it comes with a fan already.

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
I'm still using an alpha pal8045 with good temp readings... best hs I ever bought. Might not be as good as some of the newer ones, but it works just fine!

Big Lar

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
I've got an Alpha Pal on my second box, and it runs D2ol and dosn;t go over 40c ever, I like it, I got it at www.2cooltek.com and it has a Panaflo on it, it is quiet, yet efficient.

DeRailur

Banned
Dec 7, 2003
Word. I think my question has been answered. Its between the Zalman and the Thermalright.

The zalman: quiet, sleek, relatively low priced.

The thermalright: big, bulky, expensive, gotta buy a fan. But the heatpipes are SO FRIGGIN COOL!

Has anyone had any problems lapping either of these two?

If not, I think Ima flip a coin and get on with it!

DeRailur

Banned
Dec 7, 2003
Originally posted by: DeRailur
Word. I think my question has been answered. Its between the Zalman and the Thermalright.

The zalman: quiet, sleek, relatively low priced.

The thermalright: big, bulky, expensive, gotta buy a fan. But the heatpipes are SO FRIGGIN COOL!

Has anyone had any problems lapping either of these two?

If not, I think Ima flip a coin and get on with it!

??????

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
No reason to lap either one. All reviews show the heatsink base to be nearly mirror like finish for both. Besides, that is what the TIM is for. It fills in any minute cracks, or irregularities between the heatsink and processor.

DeRailur

Banned
Dec 7, 2003
Ive lapped heatsinks that looked nice and shiny before i started and Ive ended up with some nasty looking coating coming off (probably something used to make it 'look' nice and shiny) and the surfaces were warped to some degree, i.e. high spots, low spots, etc. The only thing Im asking is is there any portion of either of these that protrudes below the actual mating surface on the sides.