Best Air CPU Cooler for IB Overclock

Discussion in 'Cases & Cooling' started by Cymera, Apr 16, 2012.

1. aaksheytalwar

aaksheytalwar Diamond Member

Evo can't do 4.5 ivy comfy, it can do 4-4.2. 4.5 requires top end air or h80 or h100

2. Nvidiaguy07

Nvidiaguy07 Platinum Member

Orderd a noctua the other night. Itll save me any more time debating which to get and if its good enough to me. Chances are i wont regret it, and will know im getting the best possible temps.

3. Don Karnage

Don Karnage Platinum Member

I want it :D

4. Nvidiaguy07

why not have the fan blow up instead of down at the motherboard?

EDIT: nevermind, more heatsinks below big thing. Stupid design though

5. Tisca

Tisca Junior Member

• The 3770k has been clocked to 4.4 with the stock cooler, temps up to 99C and probably high noise.
    • Don't look at those high-end coolers if you don't intend to clock more than that, waste of money. You pay a high premium to squeeze off a few degrees or to get slightly better clocks.
    • Look at value coolers like 212 Evo and HR-02 Macho (off the top of my head), both under 40€ and not much less capable than cooler twice the price.

6. jacktesterson

jacktesterson Diamond Member

7. lehtv

lehtv Lifer

That cooler will definitely not disappoint.

8. T_Yamamoto

T_Yamamoto Lifer

I want

9. Lonyo

Lonyo Lifer

Damn.
    I was forced to pick between something lower end, an Alpenfohn or a Phanteks. In the end I went with the Phanteks because I didn't know anything about the Alpenfohn and the internet wasn't much help either. Would have been nice to know about them earlier.

10. Nvidiaguy07

??? phanteks is one of the best you can buy from what ive been reading...
    Thanks again lehtv, i figured spending the extra money would allow me to stop looking up crap and debating over which one to get. So that 50 bucks probably gave me a few hours of at least wasting time on something else.

Also i should mention that when i read anything you write, i hear it in wrex's voice. So thanks again for all the advice, and im sorry about what the the Turians did to you and your people.

#35 Nvidiaguy07, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  11. DigitalWolf

DigitalWolf Member

I have a Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL to more or less go with my Asus P9X79 Pro's color sceme (blue/white). I have really been impressed with it.

It is definitely "monster" sized for those that haven't seen one. I've seen people claim a Hyper 212+ was large... I have both... the Hyper 212+ is tiny in comparison.

It definitely keeps my 3960x cool when I'm working.. or gaming.

12. lehtv

lehtv Lifer

Salarians are the ones responsible for the whole mess. And us Krogans aren't completely innocent either. But thanks to Shepard, my people have a future.

13. Upgrade_Itch

Upgrade_Itch Senior member

These 3 lb beasts hanging off the mobo are ridiculous. Go water if you wanna oc an IB.

14. lehtv

lehtv Lifer

The vast majority of the weight is carried by the case because the motherboard is securely attached to it.

How much would it cost to have a water cooling setup (that outperforms a D14)?

15. Nvidiaguy07

I kinda worry about that too. If motherboard flexing was possibly a reason why the 360 RRODed, could it be the same for a PC?

I mean think about it, theres definitely more pressure on the side of the chip closer to the floor. If the PC was lying flat, this wouldnt be a problem, but who does that anymore? not many people. Especially after moving the case around and years of it hanging off, doesnt it wear it down at all?