Best Air CPU Cooler for IB Overclock

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Orderd a noctua the other night. Itll save me any more time debating which to get and if its good enough to me. Chances are i wont regret it, and will know im getting the best possible temps.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
Whatever happened to the Godhand? Guess Scythe wasn't confident in the product.

0640f_scythe_godhand.jpg

I want it :D

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Whatever happened to the Godhand? Guess Scythe wasn't confident in the product.

0640f_scythe_godhand.jpg

why not have the fan blow up instead of down at the motherboard?

EDIT: nevermind, more heatsinks below big thing. Stupid design though

Tisca

Apr 15, 2012
Hey!

I tried searching, but couldn't find an exact answer: what is the best air cooler for overclocking an i7 3770K to 4.4 tops. I will only likely OC up to 4.0 or 4.2, but I might go as high as 4.4. What CPU cooler should I look to?

• The 3770k has been clocked to 4.4 with the stock cooler, temps up to 99C and probably high noise.
  • Don't look at those high-end coolers if you don't intend to clock more than that, waste of money. You pay a high premium to squeeze off a few degrees or to get slightly better clocks.
  • Look at value coolers like 212 Evo and HR-02 Macho (off the top of my head), both under 40€ and not much less capable than cooler twice the price.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Orderd a noctua the other night. Itll save me any more time debating which to get and if its good enough to me. Chances are i wont regret it, and will know im getting the best possible temps.

That cooler will definitely not disappoint.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Alpenföhn have some of the best air coolers in the world. Sadly, most tech sites don't even seem to know they exist. I have an Alpenföhn Nordwand in my secondary PC and it's simply amazing. The build quality on that cooler unlike anything I've ever seen - not even on my Noctua NH-D 14.

Damn.
I was forced to pick between something lower end, an Alpenfohn or a Phanteks. In the end I went with the Phanteks because I didn't know anything about the Alpenfohn and the internet wasn't much help either. Would have been nice to know about them earlier.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Damn.
I was forced to pick between something lower end, an Alpenfohn or a Phanteks. In the end I went with the Phanteks because I didn't know anything about the Alpenfohn and the internet wasn't much help either. Would have been nice to know about them earlier.

??? phanteks is one of the best you can buy from what ive been reading...
That cooler will definitely not disappoint.
Thanks again lehtv, i figured spending the extra money would allow me to stop looking up crap and debating over which one to get. So that 50 bucks probably gave me a few hours of at least wasting time on something else.

Also i should mention that when i read anything you write, i hear it in wrex's voice. So thanks again for all the advice, and im sorry about what the the Turians did to you and your people.

Last edited:

DigitalWolf

Feb 3, 2001
yes it will DH-N14 or Phanteks

I have a Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL to more or less go with my Asus P9X79 Pro's color sceme (blue/white). I have really been impressed with it.

It is definitely "monster" sized for those that haven't seen one. I've seen people claim a Hyper 212+ was large... I have both... the Hyper 212+ is tiny in comparison.

It definitely keeps my 3960x cool when I'm working.. or gaming.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Also i should mention that when i read anything you write, i hear it in wrex's voice. So thanks again for all the advice, and im sorry about what the the Turians did to you and your people.

Salarians are the ones responsible for the whole mess. And us Krogans aren't completely innocent either. But thanks to Shepard, my people have a future.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
These 3 lb beasts hanging off the mobo are ridiculous. Go water if you wanna oc an IB.

I kinda worry about that too. If motherboard flexing was possibly a reason why the 360 RRODed, could it be the same for a PC?

I mean think about it, theres definitely more pressure on the side of the chip closer to the floor. If the PC was lying flat, this wouldnt be a problem, but who does that anymore? not many people. Especially after moving the case around and years of it hanging off, doesnt it wear it down at all?