Best 50mm or Bigger Headphone or Headset Recommendations

dragonfin

Apr 18, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am posting here because I need help. I want to upgrade from my HyperX Revolver S headphones, but I am not sure if I should or which ones I should purchase.

My budget is $400.00, I prefer 50mm or bigger headphones or headset. As I find most 40mm headphones to be uncomfortable for my ears.

I keep looking at the Orbit S, but I am under the impression that they require charging, even though they are wired headphones.

Thank you, everyone, for your help in this.

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It appears you are looking for headsets instead of headphones.

What's the difference? Headsets come with a microphone.

dragonfin

Apr 18, 2020
I do not play multiplayer games and have never used the microphone on my Revolver's, I have never even attached it since owning it. So I feel that it is unlikely I would need a microphone. However, I am not objecting to headset recommendations, so I edited the title. Feel free to recommend headsets that are better than the Revolvers S, thank you.

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I own two pair of headphones, the Philips Fidelio X1 (open back) and the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 2.0 (closed back). They both have their strong points, and I change them based on the music I am listening to (closed headphones generally have more bass, while open headphones have a wider soundstage).

Both of those should be better as far as audio goes compared the headsets you mentioned in your first post. I don't use headsets, so I can't recommend any of those. However, Tom's has a "best of" article they published recently, so you can see if any of those would work for your use.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-headsets,5499.html

communistM

Nov 5, 2007
I would recommend ditching the headset and getting separate headphones & mics. From my own experience even the best integrated mics are average at best. I personally ditched my beloved Sennheiser PC360s and have never looked back. Currently pairing HiFiMAN Sundara with a Schiit Hel, and Blue Snowball.

Reactions: Justinus

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
The new stealth magnet version of the Hifiman HE400SE seems to be a smash hit for $149. You probably should get a discrete amplifier to get the most out of planars though.