Best 23-24" 1920x1080 LED monitor out there?

wantedSpidy

Nov 16, 2006
So during my move my older 23" Asus monitor got misplaced, and now I'm in the market for a new monitor.

There seem to be so many options, and all of them seem awfully similar. Would you guys just recommend waiting for a deal on of them and getting the best deal? Or are some of them worth the extra $30-$40 premium?

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
LED is just the backlight. They are not automatically batter than the traditional CCFL backlit LCDs, so why limit yourself to them?

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
So during my move my older 23" Asus monitor got misplaced, and now I'm in the market for a new monitor.

There seem to be so many options, and all of them seem awfully similar. Would you guys just recommend waiting for a deal on of them and getting the best deal? Or are some of them worth the extra $30-$40 premium?

I too am interested in this question, especially for IPS-style panels (eIPS or better). I was looking at the EA232WMI by NEC for its Displayport, but it's so heavy and expensive that I'm wondering if I should get the much cheaper ASUS ML239H instead even though it has a comparatively iffy lower bezel and crappy stand, and no Displayport, though I could buy an adapter for that.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I too am interested in this question, especially for IPS-style panels (eIPS or better). I was looking at the EA232WMI by NEC for its Displayport, but it's so heavy and expensive that I'm wondering if I should get the much cheaper ASUS ML239H instead even though it has a comparatively iffy lower bezel and crappy stand, and no Displayport, though I could buy an adapter for that.

I have a MS238H, I think same panel, but suckier stand. That said, the stand hasn't been a problem for me and for the price it has been a great monitor.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
LED backlit displays also do not yellow nearly as bad over time like CCFL displays do. I love my 23" IPS display for image and video work, although it is not the best for gaming due to the poor refresh rate which is an issue with any IPS display.

How much are you wanting to spend?

wantedSpidy

Nov 16, 2006
LED backlit displays also do not yellow nearly as bad over time like CCFL displays do. I love my 23" IPS display for image and video work, although it is not the best for gaming due to the poor refresh rate which is an issue with any IPS display.

How much are you wanting to spend?
I think <$200 would be nice. But I'd be willing to shell an extra $100 for a panel with better viewing angles.

Peroxyde

Nov 2, 2007
Hi,

I just bought an Asus VE247H (LED, 23.6") last week. In my opinion, it is better than the LCD model of the previous generation (Asus VH242H). Brighter, better buttons, better stand, more tilt angle.

I hesitate between this and the Samsung S24A300B. Didn't take Samsung b/c its stand is very awkward to tilt.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I got my 23" e-IPS monitor today:

ASUS ML239H 23-Inch LED

Pros:
- $180 price tag (sometimes a bit lower when on sale)
- Lightweight
- LED backlit to save power
- one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest, 23" 1080p LED-backlit e-IPS monitors out there

Cons:
- input lag and refresh rate mediocre (albeit good enough for gaming; pro gamers will want to keep using their CRTs)
- no VESA mount; you get a cheap mount with no height adjustment and no portrait mode
- e-IPS means giving up a bit of viewing angle
- not true 8-bit color; but it looks great anyway
- comes only with HDMI and VGA connectors; doesn't come with Displayport; does come with a HDMI->DVI cable though and that's fine since the two standards are both digital
- some people object to 1080p and insist on 1920x1200 (I don't care)

I'm impressed at the price/quality ratio. It does very well in my informal test--viewing a particular photo I shot with very fine details and contrast that doesn't display well on TN panels and only really displays well on IPS.

I don't need portrait mode so the VESA mount thing doesn't bother me. I might get 2 more of these for Eyefinity if I get back into gaming, but for now I am happy to have a monitor that can handle photo editing tasks much better than my old 3 x 22" TN monitors could.

Last edited:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
out of curiosity, I googled the ASUS ML239H and that has to be one of the ugliest monitors I have ever seen. o_O

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
out of curiosity, I googled the ASUS ML239H and that has to be one of the ugliest monitors I have ever seen. o_O

Not a problem in landscape mode. It's like a girl pretty girl with ugly feet. Unless you're Marv Albert, you probably won't notice the ugly feet in day-to-day life.

Peroxyde

Nov 2, 2007
Hi,

I just bought an Asus VE247H (LED, 23.6") last week. In my opinion, it is better than the LCD model of the previous generation (Asus VH242H). Brighter, better buttons, better stand, more tilt angle.

I hesitate between this and the Samsung S24A300B. Didn't take Samsung b/c its stand is very awkward to tilt.

Since the post above. I ended up buying two more: Asus VE247H and Asus VE208T. The display quality is really great on these models. Shamefully, I have also learnt something new, the display quality is better when the monitor is connected to the computer via a digital port (DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort).

I have also tested (and returned):

- Asus 27" (VE278Q) but didn't like it: too bright, text looks pixelated, colors a little bit off. The main reason of the return is that I realize the 27" size is too big for desktop use. For the same price I can buy the two monitors above and used in a dual monitor setting.

- Samsung S20A300B, didn't like: annoying touch buttons, especially only 1 year warranty (compared to Asus 3 years). This unit in particular is picky (didn't work at home but worked when I returned to the store). I though Samsung was the best in monitors but based on my limit tests, Asus is a better deal.