Besides Detroit, what other cities have decades of Dems in charge?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
And what financial shape is the city in?

i'll start: DC
i say it's in pretty good shape

looked iffy at first when Mayor Grey was elected in an upset.
he was completely not ready and was like a deer in headlights. and some of his staff picks have been indicted. (nothing on him, yet.)

but it looks like he has a grasp on everything right now

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Chicago, not sure about financial but pretty much shit in every other way:whiste:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Most large cities are run by Democrats. Boston has had a democratic mayor since the 1930's and is running very well. Cleveland has had Democratic mayors for the last three decades and is running a significant surplus. That being said, there are plenty of cities run by Democratic mayors that are disaster areas.

It's hard to really look at results in that way when there are so few counter-examples. Large cities tend to elect Democrats.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Chicago, not sure about financial but pretty much shit in every other way:whiste:

yeah chicago, where they morgaged out the parking meters for a short term 1 shot $1B payment.

that mayor just f'd over all future mayors

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
In NJ - most. Including such notable examples as Camden, Newark, and Paterson...

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
A lot. But the issue isn't who is in charge, it's the greater economic situation of the area and it's surroundings that are the issue with Detroit. Lose enough decent jobs related to the major industry in the area and any municipality would be in similar circumstances.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Yeah but Detroit has also been horribly run on top of the disasterous downfall of the auto industry.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yeah chicago, where they morgaged out the parking meters for a short term 1 shot $1B payment.

that mayor just f'd over all future mayors

don't get me started on that. the fucking deal fucked over chicago. the company will make back the 1b in like 8 years (or less if it continues to raise rates like it has). It was a fucking stupid move.

Chicago is ok. mainly because they steal most of the states taxes.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
And what financial shape is the city in?

So long as they don't get federal bailout money, I don't really give a shit what condition the cities are in. That's their problem, not ours. Maybe Detroit will serve as a good object lesson to others that "if you fuck your city up, kiss your pension and city assets goodbye." But somehow I doubt it, others cities will continue to screw over their citizens via embezzlement, waste, and corruption.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
My hometown of New Orleans has been democratically ruled for decades and I would never want to live there.

Nov 8, 2012
Boston
Cleveland
Chicago
DC
Detroit
NYC
Kalifornia
New Orleans

Some of the most SHIT cities - well known to be liberal meccas with horribly run corrupted governments - horrible financial situations (by most accounts) The only thing teetering these cities up are the conservative groups of successful business and the business it brings. When listing the most ghetto cities - which one's are considered? The one's listed above. When listing the most violent cities - which one's are considered? The one's listed above. When listing the most corrupt and poor cities - which one's are considered? The one's listed above.

When the US starts expanding more out towards western regions all of these cities will crumble to the ground faster than Detroit. Mark my words.

Last edited:

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Boston
Cleveland
Chicago
DC
Detroit
NYC
Kalifornia
New Orleans

Some of the most SHIT cities - well known to be liberal meccas with horribly run corrupted governments - horrible financial situations (by most accounts) The only thing teetering these cities up are the conservative groups of successful business and the business it brings. When listing the most ghetto cities - which one's are considered? The one's listed above. When listing the most violent cities - which one's are considered? The one's listed above. When listing the most corrupt and poor cities - which one's are considered? The one's listed above.

When the US starts expanding more out towards western regions all of these cities will crumble to the ground faster than Detroit. Mark my words.

So you're of the opinion that only Democrats are corrupt and only they bankrupt the governments they're in charge of?

Nov 8, 2012
So you're of the opinion that only Democrats are corrupt and only they bankrupt the governments they're in charge of?

Hrrrmm... well... they are democratic cities...... (and states for the most part)... so hmmmm who elects them?

hmmmmmm... :whiste:

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Hrrrmm... well... they are democratic cities...... (and states for the most part)... so hmmmm who elects them?

hmmmmmm... :whiste:

You didn't answer my question. Do you think that only Democrats are corrupt and only Democrats bankrupt the cities/states they run?

ciba

Apr 27, 2004
I think the observation makes for interesting discussion. I hypothesize that democratic leadership is unable to manage cities and states in serious downturns. They seem to do great in an economic rising tide, but have a built-in inability to tighten their belts when times get rough as a direct result of their built-in consituency.

Thoughtful analysis requires much more time than I'm willing to dedicate to the issue.

Of course, this is extremely broad brushstrokes.

Cases in point:
Chicago
Detroit
Oakland
State of Illinois
State of California

Nov 8, 2012
You didn't answer my question. Do you think that only Democrats are corrupt and only Democrats bankrupt the cities/states they run?

NEVER. Everyone can turn corrupt. Corruption aside, the one's that are actually falling are the liberal mecca's though.

Nov 8, 2012
I think the observation makes for interesting discussion. I hypothesize that democratic leadership is unable to manage cities and states in serious downturns. They seem to do great in an economic rising tide, but have a built-in inability to tighten their belts when times get rough as a direct result of their built-in consituency.

Thoughtful analysis requires much more time than I'm willing to dedicate to the issue.

Cases in point:
Chicago
Detroit
Oakland
State of Illinois
State of California

Heh, might just boil down to this:

Conservatives: Glass half empty
Liberals: Glass half full

Conservatives know how to handle layoffs when she goes down hill.
Liberals know how to embrace success better when it comes.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Cases in point:
Chicago
Detroit
Oakland
State of Illinois
State of California

California wouldn't make any sense. First, the cause of the budget deficits in California had little to do with the governor, much more to do with the insane tax structure due to Prop 13. But even more central, the governor (mayor) during the really bad budget deficits was a Republican and the governor who has a balanced budget is a Democrat. So even if they did have something to do with it, it serves as a counter-example.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
2012 Most Dangerous Cities

Rank - City - Party - Control
1 - Detroit - Democrats - 1962
2 - St. Louis - Democrat - 1949
3 - Oakland - Democrat - 1977
4 - Memphis - Democrat - 1940
5 - Birmingham - Democrat - 1979
6 - Atlanta - Democrat - 1942
7 - Baltimore - Democrat - 1967
8 - Stockton - N/A
9 - Cleveland - Democrat - 1990
10 - Buffalo - Democrat - 1966

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010

Have you lived there? Where did you live?

Chicago is a world city. It has good parts and bad parts. There are more good parts than bad in my opinion. This has nothing to do with Democrats (lord knows the Democrats there are ulta corrupt); it has to do with the free market economy which thrives in Chicago.