Bernie's out

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Every Obama policy is better than any Trump policy. Literally all Biden would have to do is return to the status quo and we'd be markedly better off.

Good policy apparently didn't matter in 2016, because Trump didn't have any good ones then and doesn't have any good ones now.

Come November, you'll see.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I don't care for Biden, but I still think he has a reasonable chance to win.
For all the difference it makes I'm still voting for Sanders on my primary ballot.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Come November, you'll see.

Did you see Glenn Greenwald's new show on YouTube? He had Kyle Kulinski on to talk about what went wrong with Sanders's campaign, and they drew an interesting contrast between Trump in the 2016 primary, and Sanders in the 2016 and 2020 primaries. Trump mercilessly attacked his opponents, and painted them as the corrupt dipshits they were, and that made him, ironically enough, credible. Sanders refused to attack Clinton or Biden, and they argued that you can't run an insurgent campaign if you aren't willing to attack your establishment opponents the way Trump did.

Reactions: HurleyBird

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Every Obama policy is better than any Trump policy. Literally all Biden would have to do is return to the status quo and we'd be markedly better off.

Good policy apparently didn't matter in 2016, because Trump didn't have any good ones then and doesn't have any good ones now.

Rabid Bernie Bros raving about Biden is like crooked Hillary all over again. Maybe they can convince themselves to stay home & let Trump have a second term. So much winning.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Did you see Glenn Greenwald's new show on YouTube? He had Kyle Kulinski on to talk about what went wrong with Sanders's campaign, and they drew an interesting contrast between Trump in the 2016 primary, and Sanders in the 2016 and 2020 primaries. Trump mercilessly attacked his opponents, and painted them as the corrupt dipshits they were, and that made him, ironically enough, credible. Sanders refused to attack Clinton or Biden, and they argued that you can't run an insurgent campaign if you aren't willing to attack your establishment opponents the way Trump did.

Ya, I watched it. they are probably correct. Bernie isn't like that though, unfortunately.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Seems bringing tears to moderates is the most important thing for the Bernie supporters. Reminds me of something.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
fixed that for you. I've been saying all along, like it or not...and I do NOT, Trump is going to get reelected. The Dems couldn't field a candidate that had a chance...and all the damned in-fighting between the candidates just ensured that none of them would win.
Funny you say that, when the person you crossed out just schooled Trump on what he needs to be doing during this crisis.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Is he though? People threw a vote at Trump because he shake up vote. That shake up didn't go quite the way a lot of them planned. Some expected a Presidential pivot. That didn't happen. Manufacturing is down, farming got fucked, states that went Trump in narrow margins are getting fucked by him in this pandemic. The unknown commodity is now very well known.
Yes, and despite his bungling, his approval ratings shot up during the pandemic. (I believe they have dropped back somewhat now though.)
The Democrats are sadly deluding themselves if they think that the outrage against Trump is going to drive voters in mass to a candidate who can barely (on his best day) put together a few minutes of coherent speech. For those who say this is not true of Biden, I was hoping they were correct. However, I have only watched one of his responses on the Corona virus, but the response I did see certainly reinforced my misgivings. There were a few moments of clear, concise response at the beginning, but the longer he went on, the more rambling, off topic, and disjointed he became. I finally left the room, because it was just too uncomfortable to watch someone (whom I in fact do admire) present himself so poorly.

Edit: to the topic of Bernie dropping out, I think he had no choice but to do so for the good of the party, and to increase the slim hopes that Biden can win.
I think Bernie's policies were too liberal to get him elected, but his responses I have seen to the current crisis were much more focused and forceful than Biden's, and I think he undoubtedly would have held his own much better in a debate with Trump than Biden will.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Yes, and despite his bungling, his approval ratings shot up during the pandemic. (I believe they have dropped back somewhat now though.)
The Democrats are sadly deluding themselves if they think that the outrage against Trump is going to drive voters in mass to a candidate who can barely (on his best day) put together a few minutes of coherent speech. For those who say this is not true of Biden, I was hoping they were correct. However, I have only watched one of his responses on the Corona virus, but the response I did see certainly reinforced my misgivings. There were a few moments of clear, concise response at the beginning, but the longer he went on, the more rambling, off topic, and disjointed he became. I finally left the room, because it was just too uncomfortable to watch someone whom I in fact do admire present himself so poorly.
History has shown that ALL President's rating go up during a Crisis, including bad ones. However, Bad President's ratings drop once the shock goes away. In another Month, or less you will see Trump's numbers fall even more.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Hopefully someone figures it out.

There's honestly not much hope at this point. It seems pretty unlikely to me that the country can survive another 4 years of Trump or 4 years of Biden without becoming a unrecognizable hellscape. The Sanders platform was sort of a bare minimum of what it would take to pull the country back from the edge, and that political project is dead until at least 2025.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Biden isn't going to win with outrage votes and that's not who he appeals to. Get that through your heads. It's going to be on the backs of middle aged white men that went Obama -- > Trump in Iowa, MI, WI, and PA. It's going to be black votes in WI. It's going to be suburban women in VA and PA. Those are the demographics that reliably turn up to vote and in states where they make a huge difference.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Seems bringing tears to moderates is the most important thing for the Bernie supporters. Reminds me of something.
Trump has no better supporters than he does with the BernieBros.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Instead of the infighting, can we just be happy that the Democrats have settled on a candidate early? Let's focus our energy on the only thing that matters: deposing the Trump regime in November and restoring functional democracy.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Fine, good for him for acknowledging the numbers involved and acting. I'm all for being tenacious, patient, but sometimes you have to read the writing on the wall and make the most of it.

Now, cancel your damn convention Dems. There is no need now. Minimize the risks of infighting and covid-19 as much as possible.

Reactions: soundforbjt