Bernanke is INSANE

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That is not true, either. As a whole seniors are not terribly off; they are not mostly all living check to check trying to choose between ramen noodles and their heating bill. Many of them are in fact very wealthy.

Actually as a whole there is no segment of our society that is less well off than seniors.

Were it not for Social Security you would have a pretty staggering rate of the elderly living in poverty, many times the national average.

An interesting link on the relationship:http://www.nber.org/aginghealth/summer04/w10466.html

Also of note: http://cbs2.com/cbsnational/senior.citizens.poverty.2.1164568.html

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The more wealthy people are getting over on SS compared to the lower wage earner because of the SS Cap. Once you reach the cap for the year, you no longer have to keep paying SS that year. Some overly wealthy individuals could reach that in a month or two. Meanwhile the poor sucker making minimum wage has to pay into SS all year long. How is that fair? I think the CAP is a joke. SS should just be a straight percentage of pay whether you make $10,000 per year or 10,000,000,000 per year. Whoever, came up with the cap must have been a rich guy, because that is the only type of person it favors. Get rid of the SS Cap and use a straight percentage. Either that or get rid of SS tax and just raise the Federal Tax and be honest about it.

There is no SS trust fund. Every year it is emptied out and put in the general revenue fund. It is all a lie and there is no cake. Congress steals the people's money every year. I think it is time to pay it all back with interest.

After Congress has raped the public like this why do you want to trust them with health care? Are you just stupid? The government is the problem not the solution. Congress probably does not even pay SS. The reason why the government is against using SS as an individual retirement account, is that they would not be able to steal it. Even putting money in an account and earning interest would be better than the current system.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-
I went to my dads for thanksgiving and found they had almost no food in the refrigerator , my sister was bringing all the food . I asked when was the last time they went shopping and was told that it was last week and they couldn't afford to go again till after the 3rd. I got upset...

I help out with a number of non-profits in my community.

Might be quite helpful to all involved (your parents, yourself) if you'd consider signing them up for Meals on Wheels" etc. Quite likely there are many resources avaiable for the elderly in their area.

Fern

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
The reason I am against social security is that it is not a seperate entitlement program. It is just a tax that goes into the general fund, which is often stolen by the people in Washington DC for their pet projects. As long as it is run this way, I am against it. This is also why I would be against government run health care. Health care dollars would be considered part of the general fund and not managed separately. The people in congress would steal every dime of the health care money and then would allow benefits to be denied and then delay all the payments till they were trillions of dollars behind. This is how the government works.

Yeap, you hit the fundamental issues with all these programs. Seperately they can be useful and the society needs some safety net. But the problem is politicians take these programs and use it as their political capital and give out blank checks to gain favors of voters. That's why all these programs are not cost effective and close to bankrupt.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yeap, you hit the fundamental issues with all these programs. Seperately they can be useful and the society needs some safety net. But the problem is politicians take these programs and use it as their political capital and give out blank checks to gain favors of voters. That's why all these programs are not cost effective and close to bankrupt.

"Lockbox"

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Bens lips been quivering, on national television. Pay attention girls SATHTF.