Benq XL2730Z or wait ?

shepardh

Jan 6, 2011
Hey,

I am considering purchasing a new monitor, I'm running an R9 290 so QHD is probably the highest I can go.

When I first read about the XL2730Z I noticed it had some bug with overdrive but this was fixed with a new firmware (V002).

Is now a good time to purchase a monitor, or since freesync is realtievly new it's better to wait for upcoming monitor? (Maybe with better implementation of freesync)

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
That monitor has it all right now. While I'm sure things will continue to improve (they always do) that monitor isn't really missing anything. working over drive, strobe blur reduction, and 40Hz-144Hz Freesync range.

Now, Freesync itself has a broader range than that and I'm sure later monitors will have a wider range. Especially on the low end. Or, if you want IPS that tech isn't quit up to speed yet with Freesync. I think you'll need someone like BenQ to come out with an improved IPS screen. I just don't see Asus doing it because they have more expensive Gsync monitors to market and they need to have a benefit to justify the price.

Even the best IPS panels though are not as fast as the TN panel that the 2730Z uses. So, if that's important more than color and viewing angle, stick with the TN models.

shepardh

Jan 6, 2011
Thank you, I'll try and see if I can get it for a good price, I saw it was cut down from around 650$ to 550$.