Info Benfotiamine and Grape Seed Extract - Possible potent hypoglycemic combination

Jul 27, 2020
Yesterday, I had 125g of blueberries and grapefruit for lunch. About 7 hours later, I took benfotiamine and grape seed extract (benfi for reducing AGEs and grape seed extract for its various benefits). Around 30 to 35 minutes, just when I was getting ready to have dinner, I felt extremely weak and my brain cells almost blanked out, like they were glucose starved. I've had this happen before to some extent with Alpha Lipoic Acid but this one was pretty extreme. I ate some pineapple pieces, like a person in a daze. Then ate blueberries. Then watermelon and finally, regained some energy and the feeling of weakness went away.

Interestingly, this is what I would have expected from eating Lychees (described to contain a hypoglycemic toxin) but never got that from eating them. Could prove to be useful info for someone facing pretty bad hyperglycemia.

This hypoglycemic event is the second worst ever for me. The first one was from donating blood. That one was so bad that I blacked out three times in a row in quick succession and miraculously, didn't end up on the floor. Or maybe it was hypoxia coupled with hypoglycemia?

• Wow
Reactions: IGBT and killster1
Jul 27, 2020
Are you diabetic or not? If not, it's very abnormal.
Based on my HbA1C last time (5.5), I'm not anymore. But my glucose metabolism is impaired. I utilize Berberine and Phase 2 carb controller to keep my body from dumping too much glucose into my bloodstream. And I always begin my meals with fruit. I've noticed it keeps my body from making me fat.

Jul 27, 2020
Took 1g of grape seed extract today before meal. Can confirm that I'm feeling low blood sugar symptoms. It's not bad but does feel like I haven't eaten in two days.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Doctor's visit would be in order here...fault on the side of safety.

Jul 27, 2020
Doctor's visit would be in order here...fault on the side of safety.
I know what he will say. Don't take Grape Seed Extract. 99% of the doctors I've met had no interest in playing medical detective. Their goal is to see as many patients as they can coz that's how their hospital sees their value.

Reactions: IGBT

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I know what he will say. Don't take Grape Seed Extract. 99% of the doctors I've met had no interest in playing medical detective. Their goal is to see as many patients as they can coz that's how their hospital sees their value.
Or, just, you know, eat a healthy diet and ignore all the nonsense supplements and "superfoods."

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
If that's the case, you've had terrible doctors.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
If that's the case, you've had terrible doctors.
I sincerely doubt that most doctors want to do bio-experimentation/bio-hacking like the OP is trying to do. Good doctors are interested in curing ailments and making sure your body is generally trending the right direction. Very good doctors are interested in preventing ailments by encouraging habit changes and tracking biomarkers (and more than just a lipid panel). Biohacking introduces too much risk because most supplements have almost zero clinical research (some random dude testing things on himself and yielding positive results =/ clinical research).

By all means I encourage the OP to do things and see how he reacts, but coming to conclusions about how his body reacts and broadly applying it to others isn't how it works. In this specific case, he is taking a supplement and yielding a negative result but for some reason continues to do it because of "it's various health benefits". I'd agree with his doctor, stop taking shit that is impairing him.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I sincerely doubt that most doctors want to do bio-experimentation/bio-hacking like the OP is trying to do. Good doctors are interested in curing ailments and making sure your body is generally trending the right direction. Very good doctors are interested in preventing ailments by encouraging habit changes and tracking biomarkers (and more than just a lipid panel). Biohacking introduces too much risk because most supplements have almost zero clinical research (some random dude testing things on himself and yielding positive results =/ clinical research).

By all means I encourage the OP to do things and see how he reacts, but coming to conclusions about how his body reacts and broadly applying it to others isn't how it works. In this specific case, he is taking a supplement and yielding a negative result but for some reason continues to do it because of "it's various health benefits". I'd agree with his doctor, stop taking shit that is impairing him.
Was commenting on this:
Their goal is to see as many patients as they can coz that's how their hospital sees their value.

Reactions: deadlyapp