Benefits of U.S. Third World Status thread: VW plans to open U.S. plant to sell to Rich 12-3-04

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
VW plans to open U.S. plant to sell to Rich because of weak dollar they can't make a profit on SUV sales when have to ship them in.

12-3-2004 VW Considers Building Cars in U.S.

FRANKFURT - Continued depreciation in the dollar is forcing Europe's largest carmaker Volkswagen to consider building VW and Audi brand cars in the United States, the company's sales and marketing head said.

We are thinking about manufacturing those models there that for the most part are also sold in the U.S.," Georg Flandorfer told German daily Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung in an interview published on Friday, adding that the planned Audi Q7 sports utility vehicle could be a candidate.

The weak dollar is a major reason why VW expects to book a 1 billion euro ($1.34 billion) operating loss in North American operations this year.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
maybe this would boost their reliability :)
Thats a big reason why they're losing money.

Why don't they just expand their plants in Mexico? My friend's Mexican made VW only breaks down every 6 months :p

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
did i read this thread title correctly? Benefits of the U.S. being a third world country? Last I checked we still have the highest GDP of any country, and we are in the top 5 for GDP per capita, ahead of all countries except extremely small ones. Europe would drop to their knees to have 5.4% unemployment, specifically France and Germany that have ~10% unemployment.

Now, on the article, the weak dollar has it's benefits and weaknesses. In my opinion, it's not hurting us right now, but it will in the future. That's why I think the fed needs to raise rates a bit to decrease the money supply, but more importantly, the federal governemtn needs to get its debt down, fast. I'm afraid of what is going to happen if we keep raking up the debt we are now.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
lol, this is amusing.

You complain when jobs are moved out of the U.S. because that means the country is losing jobs. But you also complain when jobs are potentially relocated to the U.S. because poor VW can't afford to stay as they are and sell to the "rich"?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: yllus
lol, this is amusing.

You complain when jobs are moved out of the U.S. because that means the country is losing jobs. But you also complain when jobs are potentially relocated to the U.S. because poor VW can't afford to stay as they are and sell to the "rich"?

Did I say I was complaining??? Last I checked "benefit" is a positive word.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Topic Title: Benefits of U.S. Third World Status thread: VW plans to open U.S. plant to sell to Rich 12-3-04
You have an interesting way to packaging your good news.

Anyways, Canada has been using a devalued dollar to export to the States at an improved margin for years. It's hardly turned us into the Third World.