Benchmarks for Mental Ray on dual Xeons and dual Opterons? (AMD64 owners requested)

Cat

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'm looking for benchmarks using Mental Ray (distributed with Max, Maya, XSi, etc.) on both dual Xeons and Opterons. I've checked out Firingsquad's dual Opteron workstation benchmarks, since there are some nice scientific apps being used, but I'd like to see some specific Xeon / Opteron tests, if possible. It'd be better if Mental Ray was among the included applications.

I know that Opterons should mop the floor with anything P4-based, when it comes to this kind of work, unless Mental Ray is heavily SSE2 optimized. I'd really like to know what the price/performance ratio is going to be, as I'd like to stick with Intel if dual Xeons are only 10 percent slower.

If anyone has a pair of Opterons and Mental Ray handy, I'd love to get some tests going. I've got a bunch of dual 2.8 Xeons at work with which to compare. Actually, if someone has a single Opteron or Athlon64 processor and Mental Ray, that should give some clue as to how much faster AMD's solution is.

I remember reading an Opteron or Athlon64 article that specifically timed Mental Ray, but I don't think there was a comparison to P4s. There was no downloadable test for me to reproduce, either. Anyone know where this article is?

Thanks.

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
Sorry I can't help but Opterons/Athlon 64's have SSE2 so being heavily SSE2 optimized would make both processors work better.

klah

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2002
Haven't seen any benchmarks but there is a x86-64 version of Mental Ray for Linux. It would be interesting to see that benchmarked against the 32-bit Windows version.

Cat

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
PorBleemo: Yes, AMD processors now have SSE2, but it still isn't as fast as Intel's implementation.
Adul: Yes.
Klah: I wholeheartedly agree.