Benchmarking Application

LarryJoe

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
Man, I have been out of the scene for over 5 years and feel like an idiot asking these questions. I used to used 3DMark way back when to benchmark my graphics and system. I just got a new system and am into it all over again, except I didn't build this one. Just don't have the time. I just ordered a second geforce 8800 GTX to SLI. I want to do a before and after benchmark. Is 3Dmark or whatever they call it now still a decent benchmark?

Thanks,
Joe

bobross419

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2007
I'm not a big OC guy or benchmarker or anything, but when I was playing around with OCing my computer I just found the most recent AnandTech and another site (Tom's Hardware i think) performance articles and used all of the programs they used that are available for free. I think I was using Sisandra or something and a few of the 3DMark Programs (I used 03, 05, and 06 because I'm working with a P4 + 2600Pro). There is a 3DMark Vantage out that I've seen on a bunch of benchmarks.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
PC mark is more of a whole platform benchmark....

It will do a modest graphics subsystem test, but does, cpu, memory, HDD subsystem, etc....More complete as a whole but less thorough as a specific....

3dmark is sufficient, but it seems most sites use fraps and a specific scene in a game....may be difficult to duplicate, but the key for you is keep it similar for the comparison.

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
3DMark 2006 is still a good benchmark especially if your running Windows XP whilst Vantage is only available to Vista users.:)