Belial's Comprehensive Guide to 7950s!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Slomo4shO

Nov 17, 2008
Read the last sentence in his introduction.

That validates what exactly? It would be proof if it were listed on the OCN thread stating that the guide was posted here but stating the source in the OP does not validate the OPs identity. o_O

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
That validates what exactly? It would be proof if it were listed on the OCN thread stating that the guide was posted here but stating the source in the OP does not validate the OPs identity. o_O
It's his guide.
It was brought up here in other VC&G threads of how useful it was.

So I guess he decided it was worth posting here also.

Atreidin

Mar 31, 2011

If you care so much, you could go to that forum and ask that poster if he's the same person.

Belial88

Feb 25, 2011
That. is. AWESOME!

160 x 1.1 = 176
190 x 1.1 = 209

The core doesn't run directly off the 12v you dolt :D.

I am indeed a dolt.

This guide has been available for months over at OCN and this is nothing more than a copy and paste job with more pictures added. The only question is whether this is the original author or not...

[deleted]

This isn't 4Chan. Use a written response next time.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
LOL, I'm leaving that one alone. :rolleyes:
Slomo4shO, You can't be serious. (at least I hope not)

Nifty Gpu vram info check tool - MemoryInfo+ :)
Can someone elaborate bit more on using this tool?
I run it and get nothing but empty info boxes. (win 8.1)

I'm running dual Sapphire 7950's and already know what my memory is because I checked when I had the heatsinks off.
Just wanted to see how this tool works. ;)

Anyway, mine are....
Elpida - 1.6v
W2032BBBG
-50 -F
123906A1T08
(-50 -f means 5ghz memory chips)

As some suspect, I think some of the Sapphire 2L's use Elpida -60 -F 6ghz memory, since some 2L's overclock really well on the Elpida memory.
Ive seen screenshots of the -60 -F chips on a Sapphire somewhere and of course cannot remember where or I'd post a link.

Last edited:

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000

Last edited:

Belial88

Feb 25, 2011
Edit: I appreciate that the mods go to great lengths to protect content creators. It was a little silly a claim was started, that could have been avoided by a PM. I apologize if my jokes went over someone's head, I thought I was being pretty explicit.

Last edited:

Belial88

Feb 25, 2011
By the way let me remind people, that I've edited the guide to reflect the following:

The +50% power limit fix on 7950s is mandatory. With no power limit fix, or even +20%, your card will run the majority of the time at ~500mhz, NOT 1ghz, 1200mhz, etc. You will see about a 80-120% increase in FPS by doing the +50% power limit fix. These cards are HEAVILY throttled with the stock power tune. Literally, running 900mhz@+50% Power tune is better than 1200mhz@0 power tune. This is because these cards throttle themselves at stock settings, so if you overclock - which consumes more power - your cards will throttle even more. As in, you will on average run at about 500-700mhz despite an overclock of 1200.

ANY 7950 model, including the aftermarket models, WILL HIT over 80* on 100% fan speed at just a stock settings of 925mhz@1.25v (ie boost setting). 1.25v is really only achievable on water.

I repeat, the power limit fix is a necessity. Your card will run hotter clock for clock, of course, but you'll gain almost double the fps. All it means is you need to get better cooling or tune down your overclock (a 'stock' 1050mhz@1.15v at 70-80* should be pretty achievable on +50% power tune, and you won't get near that in gaming).

For proof, just run OCCT or Furmark or heaven or any benchmark, with +50% power limit and +0% power tune. Huge difference. And remember, reviewers didn't use power limits. This card is WAY better than the 660TI or 760.

You know, I just saw that durvelle thread from a week ago, and he had posted this in regards to the 290rx:
t would be very displeasing to release a GPU that throttles all the time. But yes it only throttles above 90C as a safety feature to keep the GPU from getting any hotter. And congrats on the new Purchase.

ALL high end AMD cards throttle.

Can someone elaborate bit more on using this tool?
I run it and get nothing but empty info boxes. (win 8.1)

I'm running dual Sapphire 7950's and already know what my memory is because I checked when I had the heatsinks off.
Just wanted to see how this tool works.

Anyway, mine are....
Elpida - 1.6v
W2032BBBG
-50 -F
123906A1T08
(-50 -f means 5ghz memory chips)

As some suspect, I think some of the Sapphire 2L's use Elpida -60 -F 6ghz memory, since some 2L's overclock really well on the Elpida memory.
Ive seen screenshots of the -60 -F chips on a Sapphire somewhere and of course cannot remember where or I'd post a link.

You have to be careful of overclock figures on the net. Often times people will post an overclock as 'stable' when in reality it isn't. Remember, most people don't even stress test, they just run a game and think it's good or something. You need clarification of how stability was determined.

I really doubt 2L's used 60Fs. It's possible, but I don't think so since 60F is newer. I'm not sure what you mean by really well overclocks? No elpida is going to go past 2000mhz, much less even 1800mhz.

Last edited:

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
By the way let me remind people, that I've edited the guide to reflect the following:

The +50% power limit fix on 7950s is mandatory. With no power limit fix, or even +20%, your card will run the majority of the time at ~500mhz, NOT 1ghz, 1200mhz, etc. You will see about a 80-120% increase in FPS by doing the +50% power limit fix. These cards are HEAVILY throttled with the stock power tune. Literally, running 900mhz@+50% Power tune is better than 1200mhz@0 power tune. This is because these cards throttle themselves at stock settings, so if you overclock - which consumes more power - your cards will throttle even more. As in, you will on average run at about 500-700mhz despite an overclock of 1200.

I am not seeing the above throttling ( using Trixx) in the two games I have on my computer now and playing using +20%. I just tested a level in each game after reading the above just now.

Crysis 3 below (per in gaming graph screenshots on 2nd monitor)) settings 1100/1500 @ I saw a couple small quick drops in clocks for seconds but that was it (a second or 2) in C3 otherwise a steady 1100/1500

ms8l.jpg

BF4 below stock settings 925/1250 I didn't see any clock drop in BF4.

hrjc.jpg

Last edited:

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001

ANY 7950 model, including the aftermarket models, WILL HIT over 80* on 100% fan speed at just a stock settings of 925mhz@1.25v (ie boost setting). 1.25v is really only achievable on water.

Where do you get this crap? Stop posting this misinformation.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
I too was scratching my head on that, but also my 8+6 has Hynix whereas my 6+6 does not (both TF3) so there is some good info mixed with some strong opinion without much substance to back it up.

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
Also just wanted to mention below (7950 Boost) my temps in CFX running Crysis 3, stock clocks, stock fan profile and closed mid-tower case w/3 120mm.

GPU 1 67-71c
GPU 2 runs about 5c lower per above card temps.

Last edited:

Belial88

Feb 25, 2011
I am not seeing the above throttling ( using Trixx) in the two games I have on my computer now and playing using +20%. I just tested a level in each game after reading the above just now.

Crysis 3 below (per in gaming graph screenshots on 2nd monitor)) settings 1100/1500 @ I saw a couple small quick drops in clocks for seconds but that was it (a second or 2) in C3 otherwise a steady 1100/1500

ms8l.jpg

BF4 below stock settings 925/1250 I didn't see any clock drop in BF4.

hrjc.jpg

Gaming is hardly intensive. The performance hit may not be as large in gaming, but it's still there, especially in those moments when we need the performance the most.

Where do you get this crap? Stop posting this misinformation.

It is not misinformation. Feel free to check out the linked +50% power limit fix in the guide to see discussion on it, or talk to anyone who's done it. I've always seen a 50%+ performance increase over various 7950s and models that I've had, and I've tested quite a few.

Glad I wasn't the only one scratching their head. My 7950 can run overclocked at +20% power setting without throttling.

I'm not sure how you definitively state that, because that's not true. If by 'without throttling' you mean you dont get noticeable throttling in a game that the 7950 manhandles easily and you wouldn't know throttling if it happened anyways, then sure.

It's pretty simple. Run OCCT Error test (or furmark, kombustor, etc), and you'll see your core clock and GPU utilization peak and rise rather than flat at max under HWinfo or any other reliable, high refresh hardware monitor.

Also just wanted to mention below (7950 Boost) my temps in CFX running Crysis 3, stock clocks, stock fan profile and closed mid-tower case w/3 120mm.

GPU 1 67-71c
GPU 2 runs about 5c lower per above card temps.

Boost varies from card to make to revision. What clocks, what voltages (i assume 1.25v but not all boost are 1.25v)? What fan speed? This information doesn't really tell us much. Did you use the +50% power limit? What model are you even using?

People generally dont use games as benchmarks. They use benchmarks are benchmarks. Run a stress test for a heat test comparison, game to game varies so much and games, relatively, do not push hardware at all. You'll likely see a good +20*C with +50% power limit and on a proper stress test, whatever card that is.

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
Boost varies from card to make to revision. What clocks, what voltages (i assume 1.25v but not all boost are 1.25v)? What fan speed? This information doesn't really tell us much. Did you use the +50% power limit? What model are you even using?

People generally dont use games as benchmarks. They use benchmarks are benchmarks. Run a stress test for a heat test comparison, game to game varies so much and games, relatively, do not push hardware at all. You'll likely see a good +20*C with +50% power limit and on a proper stress test, whatever card that is.

Sapphire 3L Boost
Stock Voltage (1.25v)
Stock Clocks 925/1250
Stock Fan Profile
+20

Just for reference below are 2 previous BM's I ran awhile back per UH 4 Extreme benchmarks @ 1150/1600 +20. I also ran a UH 4.0 Extreme BM (stock settings per above) along with MSI AB opened on my second monitor to monitor it during the test yesterday after reading your post along with the gaming test yesterday. I did not see any throttling in the clocks in MSI AB while monitoring it on the second monitor during the whole test it stayed at 925/1250 though out that test in UH 4.0 Extreme yesterday.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2341362&page=2

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2341362&page=18

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
I'm not sure how you definitively state that, because that's not true. If by 'without throttling' you mean you dont get noticeable throttling in a game that the 7950 manhandles easily and you wouldn't know throttling if it happened anyways, then sure.

It didn't throttle when bitcoin mining so it wasn't just with "manhandled" games. Perhaps folding@home projects? Are they closer to power ramping programs like Furmark and OCCT than the GPU bitcoin client was?

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
You don't always need a shim for the "red mod". My Powercolor 7950 Boost worked fine with no shim, just some Fujipoly Premium thermal pad in-between the die and the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro copper block. It's zip-tied on. Also get zero throttling during Heaven with +20% power limit and saw no boost from going higher. YMMV.

Belial88

Feb 25, 2011
You don't always need a shim for the "red mod". My Powercolor 7950 Boost worked fine with no shim, just some Fujipoly Premium thermal pad in-between the die and the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro copper block. It's zip-tied on. Also get zero throttling during Heaven with +20% power limit and saw no boost from going higher. YMMV.

You do need a shim. You will still see a significant performance boost not using one, but foregoing a $1 shipped shim is ridiculous. And using a thermal pad is a really bad idea for IHS to heatsink contact. You use them for adhesion like for small mosfet or vram heatsinks.

Heaven is not really a stress test, so I'm not so sure you can say you didn't see throttling. Heaven is meant to simulate a game, which has uneven load requests. You need to use something like Furmark or OCCT, which will constantly and consistently strain your GPU to 99-100%.

I'm sure your card throttled during heaven, just only during crucial moments. To you, it just seemed like your card was dipping to 500mhz just like it does during the slow moments, because you can't discern what is hard for the card or not.

Come back with your heaven score with +20 vs +50.

It didn't throttle when bitcoin mining so it wasn't just with "manhandled" games. Perhaps folding@home projects? Are they closer to power ramping programs like Furmark and OCCT than the GPU bitcoin client was?

Depends on your mining settings, but you will see throttling with -i 20 full utilization mining.

Sapphire 3L Boost
Stock Voltage (1.25v)
Stock Clocks 925/1250
Stock Fan Profile
+20

Just for reference below are 2 previous BM's I ran awhile back per UH 4 Extreme benchmarks @ 1150/1600 +20. I also ran a UH 4.0 Extreme BM (stock settings per above) along with MSI AB opened on my second monitor to monitor it during the test yesterday after reading your post along with the gaming test yesterday. I did not see any throttling in the clocks in MSI AB while monitoring it on the second monitor during the whole test it stayed at 925/1250 though out that test in UH 4.0 Extreme yesterday.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2341362&page=2

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2341362&page=18

Showing me heaven scores doesn't tell me anything (heaven scores that are actually a lot lower than the heavens I usually get, and I've seen on other users with +50 power limit, but overclocks, etc come into play there too).

I mean if you bother reading my posts, you'll see that saying SEE LOOK HIGH GAMEPLAY/HEAVEN SCORES doesn't mean anything. Maybe if you do heaven or gameplay with +20 vs +50, you'll notice the difference.

Like I said, the best and most noticeable way to see throttling is load up Furmark or OCCT, a A GPU Stress Test, not a benchmark or game, with +0 or +20 power limit, and then again at +50 power limit.

It also stands to logic and reason that it's best to use +50 power limit. Why would you not do it? The card request what is requests (and it requests more at higher temps and higher overclocks and higher voltages), if you use +50 power limit and the card never requests 375w+, then so be it. if it does, you dont get throttled. But it does.