Question Being gifted this Nvme ssd

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Toshiba THNSN5512GPUK

It should be an OEM take-off. What can u guys tell me about this?

Is it compatible with windows 10 and my Aorus b450 wifi pro?

Its probably not a top performer, but what nvme m.2 would it compare to?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Toshiba THNSN5512GPUK

It should be an OEM take-off. What can u guys tell me about this?

Is it compatible with windows 10 and my Aorus b450 wifi pro?

Its probably not a top performer, but what nvme m.2 would it compare to?
Should be compatible with Win10 and B450, I see em on ebay all of the time, I think that they are only sold OEM.

Check userbenchmark.com, maybe someone has benchmarked one of them.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Sounds like the same thing I did some years ago... it was an OEM Dell SSD, but in reality it was a Plextor M5P or similar. I would be surprised if it didn't work well enough, OP.

One thing about an OEM drive... and I had this with my Dell/Plextor... is it wouldn't give me any SMART readings beyond 3 or 4 basic tabs... hours, cycles, and maybe writes or something. It's been a while. If you are a hardware monitor junkie, that may be a concern... or not.

NewMaxx

Aug 11, 2007
It would be considered low-end by today's standards. Toshiba orients toward client performance which usually means consistency and efficiency.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
1. Plug into m.2 slot
2. Boot into existing os on Samsung 840 Evo.
3. Reformat the Toshiba
4. Restart
5. Image (or is it clone) Samsung 840 to the Toshiba usingacrium reflect
6. Restart and boot into the Toshiba drive and windows should be identical kist faster?

Billy Tallis

Aug 4, 2015
Yeah, that's basically the procedure. You may need to go through the silly process of rebooting a few times before you can get to safe mode, but one boot into safe mode is enough to force Windows to redetect hardware and realize it needs to be loading the NVMe driver in order to boot normally. I would also recommend pulling the 840 out when you're trying to boot to the XG4 for the first time, to make sure you end up booting from the right drive and to prevent anything from happening to your working OS install on the 840.

Reactions: Charlie98

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Great!, will be picking this up tonight and doing the install asap.

My HD options:
-This Toshiba XG4 512gb NVME
-Samsung 840 Evo 2.5" Sata SSD from 2013
-WD Blue 640gb 7200rpm HD from 2010

I typically don't store too much in terms of movies and music since everything is streaming now.

My MB is the Aorus B450 Wifi pro and it has 2x m.2 slots. One slot is longer / and PCI x4 Faster.

What do u guys think I should do considering what I have above and/or can buy something for a good price/performance. I was thinking of using the Toshiba Xg4 NVME as boot, and all games/software. Samsung 840/7200rpm HDD to be used as storage?

Or would u guys consider getting a decent 2020 model 1TB NVME drive (WHICH ONE?) and using the Toshiba in the 2nd m.2 slot as an extra storage drive?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I would use the Toshiba NVMe as boot / OS drive, use the HDD as games storage, and then use the Samsung 840 Evo as a "select" games storage, or as a "Scratch disk" for Photoshop/Lightroom, if you're into that sort of thing.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
I would use the Toshiba NVMe as boot / OS drive, use the HDD as games storage, and then use the Samsung 840 Evo as a "select" games storage, or as a "Scratch disk" for Photoshop/Lightroom, if you're into that sort of thing.
i dont even know what a scratch disc is lol. Yea perhaps i'll put steam and all steam games on the 840 evo.

The nvme is being formatted now and i'll be doing the macrium cloning

Last edited:

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Hm... just cloned the old 120gb Sata SSD drive to the 512gb NVME drive and i hit F12 @ Boot and after a brief windows load screen, monitor just went black, but didn't loose video input and go into power save mode. Had to restart to let it the bios boot into the default #1 boot drive (my current Sata SSD.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
After cloning with macrium reflect free, I absolutely can't boot from the nvme drive. Tried for a few hours.

Tried to mess around with the bios (gigabyte aorus b450 pro wifi)
Pulled all the other sata drives leaving only the nvme in.
Pulling the PSU cord and plugging it back in.

I think it's something either with the way I cloned it and a setting in windows or something with a bios setting since I'm new to nvme drives.

It freezes at a black screen after windows begins to boot. I get a flash of a windows loading screen. Screen goes dark with a single loading circle, circle goes away and screen stays dark until I reset.

After I messed around with the bios, I randomly got a screen (in low res800x600) saying something like windows didn't load correctly, here's your options: continue to windows 10,restart,shut down (iirc)

The drive does work fine when I boot up from my sata ssd, I detect it in windows right away, I even ran as ssd benchmarks and its fast. I also detect it in bios just fine.

Last edited:

Billy Tallis

Aug 4, 2015
saying something like windows didn't load correctly, here's your options: continue to windows 10,restart,shut down (iirc)

I think this is the start of the dance through something like 3 levels of menus before you get to the option to boot into Safe Mode. This shows up after ~3 failed attempts to boot from a drive that's not there. Look for "more options" and "repair" kind of choices to find your way through the menus, which will include a step of rebooting to get to yet another menu.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I've always had better luck cloning from disk... I boot into the Acronis disk outside of Windows, clone the drive... and then it fires right up.

Scratch disk: It's just a spare drive where you dump things to either save space on the OS drive, or to save writes on the OS SSD. I use it to store video transcode files, spreadsheets I'm working on, and other files I need quick access to.

Also, I have used a separate SSD for my game files, it keeps them outside the OS in case of OS drive failure, but anymore I just buy a single drive big enough to hold everything, and then back that drive up to a spinner.

Reactions: corkyg

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Anyone know how to configure the gigabyte bios to allow windows to boot from the nvme drive after macrium reflect? Mine freezes at a grey screen after seeing the windows loading screen

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Go into the BIOS and see if the BIOS sees the drive, first. If it sees it, then boot into it. If it doesn't boot, something is wrong with the image.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
FWIW... my BIOS keeps shuffling my drive boot order, I don't know why. I have to go in every so often and rearrange them and disable my portable HDDs, for example, which are not boot drives but have complete OS images on them.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Go into the BIOS and see if the BIOS sees the drive, first. If it sees it, then boot into it. If it doesn't boot, something is wrong with the image.

the bios and windows def see the drive. i see it there and can even move it into the #1 boot drive. I also saw it in windows right away with all my friends old data on it before i reformatted it in windows and did macrium reflect. i also ran a quick AS SSD benchmark on it. Speeds were good.

When i unplugged my other 2 sata drives, leaving only the NVME drive as the boot drive in bios, the computer would power on, bios works fine, i see a flash of a windows loading screen, then it goes to a dark screen until i restart the computer.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Long Story short... had to "reset this PC" in windows 10 to get the NVME to boot into windows. Had to reinstall a bunch of software, but its a nice fresh start.
How do these benchmarks for the Toshiba XG4 compare? to a modern day mid-range NVME? Should i still be jumping on a deal for the WD Black SN750?

1581875260629.png

Attachments

• 1581874300357.png
    1581874300357.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited: