Before your next PC upgrade.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Colt45
C64 is prehistory, not "many years ago".

Ummm, no. "prehistory" would be the VIC-20 (with datasette tape drive), I had one of those...

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Makes sense complete sense. It's obvious that it's contingent on a two year internet contract.

Ballatician

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2007
Originally posted by: Freshgeardude
i got a laptop from my school that they were gonna throw out. it litterally weighs 10 lbs and only has a 1gb hd.

needless to say, im not going to use it, its going to be a target for my 7 ft long potato gun :D

at least nobody will steal it

ComputerWizKid

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2004
I find it funny how we all diss old technology. Maybe in 10 years when we have one million core processors we will all be saying "heh I remember the core i7 or i5 what a piece of shit compared to today's million core processor

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: biggestmuff

My first PC that I bought was a 486 DX. I still have the CPU somewhere. It ran at 100 MHz. It had about 16 MB of RAM with a 540 MB harddrive. Some dude at the time told me I had a 'screamer'. LOL

My first computer was an Atari 800, but my first IBM PC was 486DX50. I still have it, and it's in 100% working condition with Win3.1 and DOS :^D

thecrecarc

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2004
has anyone tried the upgrade plan for $99? I wonder how long it lasted and show well it worked.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Originally posted by: tasmanian
My gramma used to use one just like that. Was a horrible computer.

Describe "horrible"?? was it slow?, well yea, you get what you pay for, if you buy a 566mhz celly vs a 1.0Ghz P3 it's gonna seem slow. If you compare a V8 Mustang to a 4cyl Focus it's gonna be a bunch faster but cost a bunch more. Does that make a Focus "horrible"?, hardly, it's a fine little car..

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: RedSquirrel
LMAO machines with that many marketting stickers make me laugh, especially when it's an old clunker like that. 566MHz!!!!!

heh-heh...I remember when the Pentium III first came out in the late 90's. OMFG! 500 MHz! WOW!! SCREAMIN! (and Dell, Gateway, Micron, Compaq, and other "better quality retail boxes sold for a couple of thousand...e-machines was never considered "better quality", but that's not the point)
Of course, it wasn't very long before 500 MHz was slow and ancient...

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Originally posted by: BUTCH1
Originally posted by: Joemonkey
heh, my mom had one of those, what a joke

We have an E-machines at work that runs a print station, 486-SX, still runs fine. That processor seems like a joke now but it was a budget model from many years ago, good basic system just not much of a gaming rig..

My first PC that I bought was a 486 DX. I still have the CPU somewhere. It ran at 100 MHz. It had about 16 MB of RAM with a 540 MB harddrive. Some dude at the time told me I had a 'screamer'. LOL

That would be a DX4 wouldn't it? (3x33MHz FSB) :)

Although there might have been a 2x50MHz DX2, now that I think of it.

I almost forgot about that godforsaken VESA bus.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Originally posted by: BoomerD
LMAO machines with that many marketting stickers make me laugh, especially when it's an old clunker like that. 566MHz!!!!!

heh-heh...I remember when the Pentium III first came out in the late 90's. OMFG! 500 MHz! WOW!! SCREAMIN! (and Dell, Gateway, Micron, Compaq, and other "better quality retail boxes sold for a couple of thousand...e-machines was never considered "better quality", but that's not the point)
Of course, it wasn't very long before 500 MHz was slow and ancient...

Yep, my first PC was a P3 with 450Mhz and 128MB of ram. It was considered super top of the line. We had paid 3k for it. Oh, with windows 98. I had seen windows 3.11, and I had seen 95, and I could not wait to see what this incredible new OS would be like, before powering on for the first time. Oh the good old days, when "Giga" was not really used in consumer level computing other then for the hard drive being at 10GB. "I'll never use all that!" Then there's me about 10 years later with 1.8TB of space on my server. :p

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007

Yep, my first PC was a P3 with 450Mhz and 128MB of ram. It was considered super top of the line. We had paid 3k for it.

I think the first PC I bought that was x86 was a 286 with 2MB ram. VGA 16 color graphics and a 20MB hard drive . Win 3.10 !

funkymatt

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2005
those quantum drives were damn near bulltproof. about the only thing that would still be useful out of that machine. lol

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: pontifex

there's only 3 marketing ads, not counting the specs

And now you know why they were able to sell them for so cheap, be selling ad space on the cases.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Freshgeardude
i got a laptop from my school that they were gonna throw out. it litterally weighs 10 lbs and only has a 1gb hd.

needless to say, im not going to use it, its going to be a target for my 7 ft long potato gun :D

You mean you aren't going to fill it with lead so no one will steal that valuable piece of hardware?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

We have an E-machines at work that runs a print station, 486-SX, still runs fine. That processor seems like a joke now but it was a budget model from many years ago, good basic system just not much of a gaming rig..

Are you sure about that? eMachines hasn't been around that long. Wikipedia says eMachines started in 1998, and the Pentium came out in 1993.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs

Are you sure about that? eMachines hasn't been around that long. Wikipedia says eMachines started in 1998, and the Pentium came out in 1993.

I might be mistaken, can can't check until Tuesday, it'd defiantly a 486 though. Point is a lower end machine is not a "joke", it's just gonna suck at gaming..