Beer.... Highest alcohol content.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: MichaelD
So many ignorant people tout "Everclear" like it's some great sh1t.

Everclear is about 1/2 step away from Turpentine, people. 180 proof means that 90 percent of it's composition is PURE ALCOHOL. 8oz of it will probably put you at about .25 BAC, no matter what your weight. Any more, and blindness is probably a good bet.

There's no "sipping tradition" or "polite buzz" when it comes to that stuff. Drinking it is the equivalent of being bit in the jugular vein by a venomous snake; 30 seconds later and it's allllll over.

I have had MORE than my share of um...puking on my shoes (not proud) but please be careful with that Everclear stuff...I've seen people laid up in the hospital b/c they thought they were kewl.

151 can cause problems as well.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
EC + club soda + straw = party to your brain

that being said, everclear does taste like I imagine rubbing alcohol would

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Millennium
Originally posted by: MichaelD
So many ignorant people tout "Everclear" like it's some great sh1t.

Everclear is about 1/2 step away from Turpentine, people. 180 proof means that 90 percent of it's composition is PURE ALCOHOL. 8oz of it will probably put you at about .25 BAC, no matter what your weight. Any more, and blindness is probably a good bet.

There's no "sipping tradition" or "polite buzz" when it comes to that stuff. Drinking it is the equivalent of being bit in the jugular vein by a venomous snake; 30 seconds later and it's allllll over.

I have had MORE than my share of um...puking on my shoes (not proud) but please be careful with that Everclear stuff...I've seen people laid up in the hospital b/c they thought they were kewl.

151 can cause problems as well.

My_God do I know that. The very first time I blacked-out...16 years old...party...was drinking beer....I had like a 6-pack and was wasted. THEN they broke out the 151. I chugged a glass of it...don't remember how big. I remember getting dizzy...all of a sudden, the party was too crowded, too noisy, too hot...you get the idea. *room spinnnnnnnnnnnns*

I went to my car and laid down in the backseat (no, I never CONSIDERED driving!) I woke up about8 hours later, lying in my own puke....it was ALL over the backseat, the floor AND the window. No idea how I puked on the window..I didn't even remember puking.

But wait, it gets better. It was WINTER. In NY. My puke had FROZEN my face to the vinyl backseat. I was shivering....a probable outcome being that it was about 20F outside!
rolleye.gif

*sigh* The days of blissful ignorance are loooong gone.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SaigonK
Bah .. beer alcohol content..no one drinks the crap that is that strong here anyway.
I find it funny, I have a few co-workers who swear by the "hippy" beers.

Guniness...Sam Adams...Bass..all the "cool: ones...the always say..why the hell do you drink Bud or Bud Light? That stuff is water!

My usual response is

1. It isnt tar in a glass..I am no officiando on beer nor do I really care to be.
2. Those yahoos only drink one or two of those coffe in a glass beers, at 5.5% at best.
3. I can put down 10-12 buds in no time at all..(no driving of course) and I am still ready to go while they are acting all tipsy on their two beers.
Last i checked BUD was 5% here in my state...so if they drink two or three..and I drink 5-6 I would say I am ahead if they want to boast how strong their beer is.

I loathe beer snobs too. Just give me my Labbat Genuine Draft and leave me alone!

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Um.. your an idiot if you take a shot of everclear. Just drink jungle juice... everclear punch.. whatever, it messes you up fast and cheap and tastes fine. And as soon as you start feeling it, stop. I've never puked or even come close to puking up everclear.

monk3y

Lifer
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: pyonir
Originally posted by: InstincT
Not quite beer but you can get an MD 20/20, I think it's like 13% and it's in most gas stations and stuff in FL.

but then you would have to actually drink that satan developed sh|t

LOL tru dat.

bigdog1218

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
Sam Adams double Bock is 8.5%, first tried it at a beer tour here in Boston, great stuff. Very short season though so i don't know if it's still around.

SaigonK

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
www.robertrivas.com
NOEMAR: not saying bud or guiness is better, it is all about personal taste...what Y-O-U like to drink and nothing else.
I am saying there are too many people out their drinking sh*t they dont really like because it is "cool".

Jan 18, 2001
There is a brand of beer "Dogfish Head" I believe it is brewed on the East Coast, but is widely available.

They have a few labels that exceed 7 %, at least one that exceeds 12%. Their "Rasien d'etet" (spell check it) comes in around 7% i think, and costs about 9.50 here in Wisconsin.

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000

Ummm... that is because ALL of Florida's beer is like less than 4% by volume.
I bought 5.5% and 5.9% there less than 2 months ago.
Maybe the law has changed recently?

freakflag

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2001
I don't know what the alcohol content is, but, one night Molson XXX made me forget to breath.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Delirium Nocturnum is 10% and Arrogant Bastard Ale is 9%...... I'm glad I live in TN and not UT. I was out there and Heineken was 3.2%....sad, sad times for states like that.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Cyberian

Ummm... that is because ALL of Florida's beer is like less than 4% by volume.
I bought 5.5% and 5.9% there less than 2 months ago.
Maybe the law has changed recently?

What brand did you buy. I was down there less than 2 months ago as well and EVERYTHING was limited to less than 4%.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Got back from the aforementioned beer bar today. Some beers they had that I didn't try:
Unibroue Le Fin Du Monde - 9.5%
Belzebuth - 15% :Q

I stuck with a pint of Abita Brewing Amber Ale followed by a pint of Young's Oatmeal Stout. Mmm.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
had one of the local microbrews the other day, it was like 11.7 i think. tasted great, called Hells Boch. For about 8 bucks each, we got 3 1/2 gallons of that and 1/2 gallon of their porter, good night had by all

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
Delirium Nocturnum is 10% and Arrogant Bastard Ale is 9%...... I'm glad I live in TN and not UT. I was out there and Heineken was 3.2%....sad, sad times for states like that.

The levels of persistence and ingenuity necessary to get drunk in Utah make it something that you could almost put on your resume.

Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: FrontlineWarrior
Originally posted by: SaigonK

3. I can put down 10-12 buds in no time at all..
dude, how many calories is that, like 3000?

thats 1800 calories

i heard on Leno today that Sam Adams is making a beer that is 24% alcohol by volume

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Laws vary from state to state.
In NC, beer cannot contain more the 6% alcohol. (Personally I've never seen anything over 5.5% here).

§18B-101(9) and §105-113.68(7)
'Malt beverage' means beer, lager, malt liquor, ale, porter, and any other brewed or fermented beverage containing at least one-half of one percent (0.5%), and not more than six percent (6%), alcohol by volume.