Beef/meat suggestions please

Mar 15, 2003
I'm on a low carb diet but I'm currently unemployed.. While I used to enjoy porterhouse steaks I'm going to have to cut back on my food budget now that my mom is paying.. What are some good, low cost cuts of meat... Chicken is the obvious one - I asked my mom to pick up a lot of it.. But what about beef? Here are my questions:

-- I never made a roast before but figure it's a good way to cook a lot of meat in bulk both to save time and money.. What's a good/economical cut to roast?

--I never buy sirloin because it always comes out like rubber - what am I doing wrong? Should I be cooking it for less time than say a porterhouse?

--I don't mind marinating beef - what's a good, affordable steak cut (cheaper than sirloin if possible)?

- Pork: My family never really bought pork.. Whenever I buy pork chops from a restaurant they taste awesome but when I try to cook them they taste gross and have a weird after taste.. is there are particular cut that I should look for?

-Stir frying beef: what's a good, cheap beef to use for stir frys?

thanks so much my fellow carnivores!

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Flank steak is a very cheap and very lean cut of beef. Good for all sorts of cooking, incl. stir fry.

How are you cooking the meat? If your sirloin is coming out rubber you're doing something very wrong.

Also, what are you doing with the pork that's giving it a weird taste?

You might do better to either a) go to the supermarket and see if they have yesterday's meat on sale (ralph's sometimes has still-fresh cuts for 1/2 price) or b) go to Costco/Sams/BJs and buy in bulk. Unpack the meat, wrap it tightly, and freeze.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212

--I never buy sirloin because it always comes out like rubber - what am I doing wrong? Should I be cooking it for less time than say a porterhouse?

A steak can me made very tender by taking a fork and puncturing it many many times, loosening the muscles. This should be done both before and during grilling for a more tender steak.

Also, there is something in the spices and seasonings aisle of grocery stores called "tenderizer". Sprinkle a bit on before punctiuring it while it is on the grill and it will help.

Just make sure to add something to the steak such as worchestershire sauce to keep it from getting dried out.

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: amnesiac
Flank steak is a very cheap and very lean cut of beef. Good for all sorts of cooking, incl. stir fry.

How are you cooking the meat? If your sirloin is coming out rubber you're doing something very wrong.

Also, what are you doing with the pork that's giving it a weird taste?

You might do better to either a) go to the supermarket and see if they have yesterday's meat on sale (ralph's sometimes has still-fresh cuts for 1/2 price) or b) go to Costco/Sams/BJs and buy in bulk. Unpack the meat, wrap it tightly, and freeze.

Well, I usually cook steak on a foreman grill - 5 min or so for medium rare.... When I have the patience to cook the steak right I use a cast iron skillet - brown the steak on each side and then throw the skillet in the oven for a bit.. Porterhouses come out awesome this way but sirloin still comes out kinda rubbery/chewy...

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: ness1469

A steak can me made very tender by taking a fork and puncturing it many many times, loosening the muscles. This should be done both before and during grilling for a more tender steak.

Also, there is something in the spices and seasonings aisle of grocery stores called "tenderizer". Sprinkle a bit on before punctiuring it while it is on the grill and it will help.

Just make sure to add something to the steak such as worchestershire sauce to keep it from getting dried out.

Good tip! I'll try that tonight.. Thanks!

Anymore suggestions for particular cuts? Especially large cuts for roasts.. Thanks!

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Put a roast in a slow cooker with about 1/4" to 1/2" of water on the bottom. Season to taste (anything you like). Sometimes a package of dry onion soup mix is a good option.

Let it cook on low for ~6-8 hours. Should come out very tender.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Actually, chicken breasts (boneless skinless) can be quite expensive unless you can get them on sale. Pork, as in pork chops or ground pork, is probably the cheapest meat for the quality you get. I don't know what you are doing wrong when cooking the pork though... I soak my pork chops in a solution of water, sugar, salt, apple cider vinegar, and liquid smoke. You could also try soaking in straight apple cider (the drink) with some salt mixed in.

As far as beef goes, you can get flank steak for stir fries (or jerky), but for roasts you will want to get a roast. Personally I find roasts to be very uninteresting, but that is just me. I don't know what you are doing wrong with the sirloin. You might be cooking it at too high of a heat and cooking it too fast.

Ryan

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002

I just wanted to confirm this. Tenderizer is great stuff. I usually put quite a bit on the meat. Usually put some on it (don't hestitate on putting plenty on there) then poke it with the fork several times (The more you get it inside the meat the better it will be). Then don't go light on the barbecue sauce either (even if your using the foreman grill), that keeps it from getting dry. Make sure you don't overcook the meat.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Do yourself a favor and ditch the forman grill for cooking your steaks. Have a little respect... I wouldn't do the sirloin in the cast iron pan either. I think when you seer the outside you cause the muscles to tighten up, and as a result your steak gets tough. I would go out and get a $20 Webber charcoal grill and cook your steaks the right way. Or you can try tenderizing your steak as mentioned above. Personally, if I'm going to spend the money on steak, no matter the cut, I want it done right.

EDIT: I'm also not a fan of putting tenderizer on the meat, or on smothering it in some kind of sauce. I think the meat should be able to hold up on its own. If it doesn't then you aren't using a good enough cut of meat. I know you are on a budget, so maybe you should make steak a rare occasion and buy yourself a porterhouse. The rest of the time stick with stir-fry, meat loaf, pork chops, etc.

Ryan

TekChik

Jan 15, 2003
Originally posted by: MogulMonster
Put a roast in a slow cooker with about 1/4" to 1/2" of water on the bottom. Season to taste (anything you like). Sometimes a package of dry onion soup mix is a good option.

Let it cook on low for ~6-8 hours. Should come out very tender.

Same for pork chops. I put in white cooking wine. Plus, you could throw in some low-carb veggies in the last couple hours (squash, celery, broccoli, cauliflower)...make a stew. :)

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: TravisT

I just wanted to confirm this. Tenderizer is great stuff. I usually put quite a bit on the meat. Usually put some on it (don't hestitate on putting plenty on there) then poke it with the fork several times (The more you get it inside the meat the better it will be). Then don't go light on the barbecue sauce either (even if your using the foreman grill), that keeps it from getting dry. Make sure you don't overcook the meat.

Quote from my father in law who raised Limousine Beef.

"Never, ever, ever put barbeque sauce on steak. Barbeque sauce is for pork and beef ribs, but definitely not steak of any kind.

The only thing that goes on steak is a marinade or a rub.. not even A-1."

ThaPerculator

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
Yeah man, get a real grill.... Foreman's are nothing like a real grill. Even a gas grill will be a huge difference in taste and cooking quality when it comes to steaks/chicken.

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: ThaPerculator
Yeah man, get a real grill.... Foreman's are nothing like a real grill. Even a gas grill will be a huge difference in taste and cooking quality when it comes to steaks/chicken.

I would love to have a real grill but I live in an apartment building that does not have a balcony and has a tiny fire escape... I've thought about using a real grill indoors but I'm sure that I'd get evicted if someone found out (and my mom would kill me)

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002
many people, especially during the winter, don't have the time or desire to go outside and fire up a grill. Sure, its good for the summer and when you have time, but most people like quick meals, which is why the fast food industry is such a boom right now.

I'm not saying that its impossible, but thats far from realistic to expect someone to go outside and fire up a grill 5 or more days out of the week. Tenderizer may not be theo nly option to save your meat from becoming dry and have a rubber context to it, but it will be the quickest and easiest fix for you (not to mention less expensive (buying a charcoal/gas grill, charcoal itself, lighter fluid, matches, Snow gear for during the winter (lol), ect ect...)

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002

I would love to have a real grill but I live in an apartment building that does not have a balcony and has a tiny fire escape... I've thought about using a real grill indoors but I'm sure that I'd get evicted if someone found out (and my mom would kill me)

If you used a real grill indoors, I think the least of your worries would be getting in trouble.

If, however, you do decide this the best route, for one, I don't think your mother would even get a shot at you, but you should probably call a team of paramedics and the fire department, with a breathing machine waiting nearby.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
We got some Angus steaks B1G1 at Safeway awhile back, they weren't particularly good cuts, ordinary beef they would have been very tough, but were very tender on the grill. We just take the big ole bottle of chile powder from Costco and liberally coat the meat on both sides with it, salt and pepper both sides, then put it on the grill. That's all they need. Not spicy BTW.

Sealy

Platinum Member
Aug 4, 2002
Get some stewing beef. It's cheap and if you make a stew out of it, it comes out so tender it does'nt have to be great quality.

Use a slow cooker or oven. A good stew takes about 8hrs. in the slow cooker and 4 hrs. in the oven. Put whatever veggies you want in it, water, tomatoes sauce, beef broth, seasonings, a little flour to thicken sauce, and the piece de resistance.....Red wine! Yummy!

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
1. Buy in bulk... buy large hunks of meat and slice it into steaks yourself, then freeze.

2. For tougher cuts of meat, use recipes that require longer cooking (stew, slow cooker, etc.)

3. If you've got an extra freezer, learn to hunt. $50-75 for a license, $200 for a gun, and $20 in ammunition, and some good exercise can net you a large supply of organically grown meat. (not those hormone antibiotic laden grown as quickly as possible cows and chickens). Around here, that means up to 3 or 4 deer for the freezer, not to mention rabbits, grouse, etc.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I'd be more worried about the carbon monoxide killing me than my mother.

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Jzero

I'd be more worried about the carbon monoxide killing me than my mother.

Yeah, i wasn't being serious.. I don't plan on getting a grill..