Beat 'em up action RPG's suggestions

-Slacker-

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2010
2D, 3D PC, console, old, new - doesn't mater.

The reason I'm posting in the PC gaming forum is because I'm probably going to end up playing whatever is recommended on PC, even if I have to use an emulator, because all my other consoles bit the dust months to years ago, respectively.

Basically I'm tired of point and click and all the other rpg types that have been released lately (I won't hear anything of turn-based gameplay *barfs*). I just want some key masher (preferably where you can press combo keys to activate an attack) with RPG elements (preferably more, rather than less).

Ala "Tales of the Abyss", but without a dissociation between the open world and the fight locations. and with less pointless JRPG chatter (preferably).

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
good luck finding that on PC...
I can only think of one like that and it was fairly recent - on Steam - Garshasp or something like that.

You need to go to console or console emulators for that type of game.

Cadash on TG16 was pretty cool back in the day.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Thats not even an RPG. You're thinking of action games with stats, which some fucknut started calling RPG's a long time ago.

I like Titan Quest more than the others. Has all the best elements of the hack n slash genre.

Also there are some more traditional consolized games of that style available on Steam.
Like Magicka, Death Spank, Dimensity and another one I cant think of.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
If you don't mind "real-time" action "RPG"'s then yeah try Titan Quest's, Torchlight, Dungeon Siege Series, Diablo 2, Magicka etc..

Edit: Maybe look at Darksiders for the PC. You can use a controller for that if you don't like using the keyboard and mouse combo.

Last edited:

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Silverfall with the Earth Awakening expansion installed. If I remember correctly you can attack and move with buttons instead of just clicking once and letting the game fight for you. I may be remembering this wrong, however.. so maybe check it out for yourself first.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
he said NOT click fests.

Sounds like he is looking for games like God of War but have RPG elements.

I don't think they exist.

I forgot about Darksiders.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
If you don't mind "real-time" action "RPG"'s then yeah try Titan Quest's, Torchlight, Dungeon Siege Series, Diablo 2, Magicka etc..

Edit: Maybe look at Darksiders for the PC. You can use a controller for that if you don't like using the keyboard and mouse combo.

Does Magicka actually have a story or is it all combat? i looked at Wikipedia and it doesn't give a plot synopsis like it does for most games...

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
Icewind Dale I&II. They are like Baldur's Gate, except more action oriented. Not exactly "beat them up" games, though.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Icewind Dale I&II. They are like Baldur's Gate, except more action oriented. Not exactly "beat them up" games, though.

Actually thats not a bad selection at all.
They give you all the fun of BG combat without the story slowing you down.

Good job, lad!

smartpatrol

Mar 8, 2006
I wanna get ahold of this and its' predecessor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj1cVWpaQtY

I have Odin Sphere. It's a good game, but IMO didn't live up to the hype. There is basically nothing at all to explore. Every level is a flat, looping "fighting arena". The core gameplay mechanics just aren't very fun.

The sound and visuals are freaking amazing. The gameplay, on the other hand, is nothing special.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Might not be your cup of tea (but really what PC game doesn't involve lots of clicking?) but you might want to check out League of Legends, sure at the start there's lots of clicking to get money via creep kills but during team fights you are going to be pressing spell keys and item keys for success at a high multi-player level.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shank_(video_game)

Sidescroller beatemup, bloody but not overdone "shock gore", very fluid animations, cool albeit cliche characters and multiple viable styles of play. Co-op available too.

Plus it's like $10 on Steam, bit short though, can beat it in one or two nights without much trouble. I thought it was awesome though.