Bears at Packers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: manly
Since McCarthy "won" the challenge (spot of the ball), GB shouldn't have been charged a time out.

Now where's John Elway when you need him most? ;)

challenge was not the spot of the balll, it was the challenge of the down. since the down didnt change he lost it

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004

Man................wonder what kinda' return on a $100 bet on this game was???

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Pretty good toss for a jump ball. Donald Driver had decent position, but mis-timed his jump.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Well....that last play was classic favre. Throw it up and SOMEONE will come down with it...but who? It barely even looked like he was looking downfield when he threw that one. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Man, why the heck was Favre taking like 5 seconds snapping the ball?

Are you blind? It wasn't Favre taking forever, it was the center. Favre had to signal like 3 times on every down to get the center to snap the ball. It was ridiculous. Probably lost them at least one play.

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Man, why the heck was Favre taking like 5 seconds snapping the ball?

Are you blind? It wasn't Favre taking forever, it was the center. Favre had to signal like 3 times on every down to get the center to snap the ball. It was ridiculous. Probably lost them at least one play.

Goddamn packers and Goddamn shitty play calling. Credit to the Bears who I HATE...but the won none the less. They aren't that good though...the Packers lost a close one giving the ball up so many times...the Bears should have stomped them into the ground...

And the reason it was taking so long as J. Spitz was in at Center and he doesn't play that position and YES it was taking WAY TO LONG to hike the ball...

well hopefully the Packers and piss on the Bears parade when we come down south to play them in Chicago...

phreaqe

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2004
man the packers really should have won that one. stupid fumbles. and a freaking lot of penalties. i think some of them were crap but still. what was up with the 12 men on the field thing. john madden showed the 12th man on there when they snapped the ball and they even challenged it and then the ref said he was off the field. what was the ref smoking on that one.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Deeko
Well....that last play was classic favre. Throw it up and SOMEONE will come down with it...but who? It barely even looked like he was looking downfield when he threw that one. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
How do you think the Hail Mary play works?

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: phreaqe
man the packers really should have won that one. stupid fumbles. and a freaking lot of penalties. i think some of them were crap but still. what was up with the 12 men on the field thing. john madden showed the 12th man on there when they snapped the ball and they even challenged it and then the ref said he was off the field. what was the ref smoking on that one.

good point...I laugh to myself on things that they replay and review...

somethings that you can look at and say ya...there was 12 men on the field (in TWO seconds)...somehow takes the replay guys 5 Min. to discuss and come to a resolution on...and the funny thing is they get it wrong...

Technically there was 12 players on the field when the ball was snapped...I don't know...maybe he was watching Baywatch re-runs in that booth..

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000

Thats the funny part...Deeko doesn't think he just likes to make comments like that and have people enter e-arguments with him...

Don't worry I have been there and it isn't that entertaining...

Summitdrinker

Golden Member
May 10, 2004
Originally posted by: phreaqe

yep fumbles, later penalties, plus in the scond half, esp later on poor play calling on the GB offense, give up on short passes, keep trying to run the ball, true it worked in the first half, but the game has changed, abandon what the packers are best at offense
in the second half of the game I blame the coaching staff of GB for losing the game, even thou they did great in the first half, failure to adjust
it looks like GB is not ready for prime time yet, they should have won the game, but didn't.
this is what will happened to them in the playoffs if they don't improve

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

That's clever.

I'm not sure if you've ever watched Brett Favre play in the 30+ years he's been in the league, but that's what he does. He throws the ball where he wants, when he wants to, regardless of who is there. And you know what? He's successful with it quite a bit, which is why he's one of the best quarterbacks of all time, but there's games where it bites him in the ass, too. I seem to recall a similar ill-advised throw against the Eagles in the playoffs a few years ago (when they had the momentum in hand and it wasn't necessary) that ended up costing them the game.

It doesn't have to be a hail mary though, the favre-mantra can manifest itself all over the field - like the throw to urlacher, or the shovel to morency. Or the touchdown passes he threw, too.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
It was the LAST play of the game, he had no other choice but to heave it up and hope for the best.

If you're going to criticize him for something, then yes, the completion to Urlacher was idiotic and classic Favre there, among the other things you mentioned--but there was only time for one more play, and it had to be a TD, there was no option to do ANYTHING else..

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Obviously, I didn't expect them to hand the ball to Wynn on a draw. Just that the last play of the game, like earlier plays in the game that I also mentioned, showed what Favre is known to do, namely just throw the ball seemingly without looking. That was a case where they didn't have a choice, but that's just one case.