Bear Grylles

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
His show is entertaining... so I watch. If you stopped watching a show because the lead was a douche, you'd never watch any tv.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
ROFL! Climbing Everest and serving in the special forces, invalidated because he became a "Presenter" for a T.V. show? GTFO.

If you say "I'm a badass because of this" and then make a TV show where all of this is staged, it does seriously bring said badassery into question.

Robert Irvine projected himself as a cooking badass until it was learned that he lied about a lot of it.

George O'Leary was a college football coaching badass until it was learned that he lied about a lot of it.

And so on.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
If you say "I'm a badass because of this" and then make a TV show where all of this is staged, it does seriously bring said badassery into question.

Robert Irvine projected himself as a cooking badass until it was learned that he lied about a lot of it.

George O'Leary was a college football coaching badass until it was learned that he lied about a lot of it.

And so on.

That's because no one gives a shit about either of those

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I don't doubt the dude is a badass, the thing is he's a clever badass who stages shit on his show to make him appear to be even more badass, which takes away from his original badassery, get it?
Yeah I get it, haters gonna hate.

He is elite, and becoming an "actor" does not nullify any past accomplishment. And name one god damned thing he has done on the show that is even remotely as "badass" as Everest. That's right, none of it even comes close. How the hell you guys come up with this shit, is beyond my own feeble powers of comprehension.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

And so on.

Except none of those examples are pertinent, because Bear has really climbed Everest and been in the Special Air Service. And while he is certainly guilty of misrepresenting what happens on the show, his climbing and other physical skills are clearly displayed. And though he does not actually put himself in the situation like Survivor Dude does, does not mean he is incapable of surviving if he did.

Really, the whole reason everyone has sand in their vaginas, is because he made them feel like fools for taking the show at face value. Hell hath no fury like a viewer scorned, eh?

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Yeah I get it, haters gonna hate.

He is elite, and becoming an "actor" does not nullify any past accomplishment.

Say I was a Navy SEAL. That would make me pretty elite and awesome right? Now say I claimed I was also Delta Force, a spy, and a Ninja when I really wasn't. Would that not make me slightly less awesome?

And sure Les Stroud is whiny. But follow his advice and you'll be hungry but alive. Follow Bear's advice and you'll have vultures plucking out your eyeballs after you paralyze yourself by breaking your neck in some stupid fall.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Say I was a Navy SEAL. That would make me pretty elite and awesome right? Now say I claimed I was also Delta Force, a spy, and a Ninja when I really wasn't. Would that not make me slightly less awesome?

And sure Les Stroud is whiny. But follow his advice and you'll be hungry but alive. Follow Bear's advice and you'll have vultures plucking out your eyeballs after you paralyze yourself by breaking your neck in some stupid fall.
Lying makes you a liar, it does not negate your accomplishments. If you called that SEAL out, he would whup your ass as certainly as if he were any or all those other things. Because while he may have lied, the skills are none-the-less real.

Look, my position is this: You all have every right to be pissed the show misrepresented itself, and does a poor job of providing good survival advice. But, none of that makes Bear any less of a "badass" than he was before he started the gig. It just makes him a liar for not being forthcoming about it from the get go.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
If you lie and are caught doing so that makes everything you say or do subject to greater scrutiny. If you think someone lying doesn't make them less credible then, well, have fun being lied to for the rest of your life.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
If you lie and are caught doing so that makes everything you say or do subject to greater scrutiny. If you think someone lying doesn't make them less credible then, well, have fun being lied to for the rest of your life.

thats not what he is saying at all.

yes lying makes you less credible. Don't trust him or watch his show (wich its fun but don't try the shit he does and really think it will save you..). But HE is a legit badass. a lying badass but a badass none the less.

lying does not take away past accomplishments (expially when they are proven true) but does darken future ones.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
WTF are you even talking about now? You can scrutinize all you like, it will not change the facts. His most notable accomplishments are real, and they are readily verifiable. If they were not, someone would have nailed his ass to the proverbial cross by now.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
thats not what he is saying at all.

yes lying makes you less credible. Don't trust him or watch his show (wich its fun but don't try the shit he does and really think it will save you..). But HE is a legit badass. a lying badass but a badass none the less.

lying does not take away past accomplishments (expially when they are proven true) but does darken future ones.
Thanks for reiterating it in a more succinct way. :thumbsup:

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
If I was left out in the wilderness like Les Stroud (real wilderness, not the wilderness that Brylles is in - complete with 1000ct bedsheet), I'd be a whiny b**** too

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Bear Grylles is entertaining but in no way should he be spouting bull about his show being a survival expert show. He'll get people killed.
If any of us find ourselves in the situations either he or Les are presenting, I surmise not dying will be dependent on far more than our rapt attention to either program.

There are a number of suppositions involved for either show that may not be likely. It presumes we are in BFE hardy and hail with no injuries. Because, I have watched both shows, and either can help you if you are lost in the woods or something like that.

The extreme ones Bear shows, I think most of us are fucked to begin with. And it will be a miracle indeed, if we can unfuck ourselves from it. Bear's crazy climbing skills be damned.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
anyways its patronizing, i think at the very least by the 2nd time u see him eat some outrageous sh*t you get it that its amped up for tv:p if you don't catch on, good chance u were going to die anyways.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
The average Man vs Wild episode has him out there for what, 48 hours or so? It takes more than two days to film that, so yes, he does spend nights in a hotel or real shelter for those days. But the times out there are definitely real.

You don't have to like him or his show but to say he's a pussy or fake is laughable considering everything that he's done.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
And really, back on topic, Grylls doesn't eat anything that probably isn't eaten in the normal course for some indigenous person in a really poor country.

On one episode, he drank water out of a pile of elephant shit. I've never heard of anyone squeezing a turd to get water out of it, no matter how poor they were.