BeamNG just got a massive update

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012
1000 bucks for a driving sim? Last time I checked the sims we have out are only like 50.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Cool. I'll have to check it out again, it's been awhile since I played.

The damage system in this game is amazing - - every racing game should strive to have this level of physics and realism, but there isn't a single racing game that even comes remotely close. Most just use the "hit an object, bounce the car back in and switch to generic crumple panel #3."

I hope either this game evolves to actually include a racing component (it would need a lot of work to get there) or they're licensed by another developer to use the tech.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Cool. I'll have to check it out again, it's been awhile since I played.

The damage system in this game is amazing - - every racing game should strive to have this level of physics and realism, but there isn't a single racing game that even comes remotely close. Most just use the "hit an object, bounce the car back in and switch to generic crumple panel #3."

I hope either this game evolves to actually include a racing component (it would need a lot of work to get there) or they're licensed by another developer to use the tech.

The car damage in Next Car Game (Now Wreckfest) is pretty impressive, but the physics still need a lot of work. They are trying to go way more sim than I would like though.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Sounds like you haven't played many modern games.

Like what? I've played the new variants of:

Assetto Corsa
Gran Turismo
Forza
Project CARS
Shift: Unleashed
Grid
Dirt

Next Car Game is the only game I've played that tried to get close to that damage model (I didn't mention it because it's not really a "racing" game per se). If I'm missing another one that does...please fill me in.

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
GTA has had realistic body deformation since GTA4 (2007)

GTA has better damage modeling than most racing games, but that's the problem....it's not a racing game. It's also not what I would call realistic. You can smash into pole at 100 mph and it does the kind of damage you might expect if you were actually doing about 30mph. Still though, at least they try - they've put more effort into it than most race developers.

And still not anywhere close to BeamNG though... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2EIYXoI9nE

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Shorty is correct to a point. There are simulators and then there are simulators. Many simulate the experience of driving to one degree or another, while some simulate the nuts and bolts. It is an approximation. The best are the ones that can cheat and still convince players that they are getting a true simulation. The catch is that even the best "simulator" driving games we have today, such as Gran Turismo, simplify the car models to one degree or another. They have a finite pool of processing headroom and they have to strike a balance between the simulation (car modeling) and the experience (graphics, audio, etc). For games like Forza and Gran Turismo, physics processing will generally take a backseat to graphics performance.

The fact that gamers are oblivious to this just shows how good they are at it.

I say he is correct to a point in the sense that BeamNG might be a more robust simulation than your average racing game, it is still being held back by consumer level processing. I've love to see what they can accomplish using the processing hardware that accompany a Level-D simulator.

Still, its pretty cool that gamers have access to this type of software.