Beach Volley Ball

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
I just signed up for a Beach Volley Ball League.

Sound like lots of fun, anyone else try something similar?

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I play indoor for my college, I also play in the sand intramurel leagues.

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
is it a class, or a league?

i took a beach volleyball class at Santa Monica College for the two years I went there. Best college class I ever had. The coach was Holly McPeak's trainer (at the time).

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
I never played in sand but i just wanted to do something in the summer.

Starts in May 19 and runs to july for first session.

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Stark
is it a class, or a league?

i took a beach volleyball class at Santa Monica College for the two years I went there. Best college class I ever had. The coach was Holly McPeak's trainer (at the time).

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
for the last time, stop asking me... I will not play topless volleyball with you !

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Beach volleyball is great! I have a great time getting friend's together for some friendly competitions. I've never joined a league since they don't have one in the area...but we do have several courts.

desk

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2004
i'll be playing some beach volleyball this summer.

haven't played in a couple years, but we won our league last time around.

LordSnailz

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
yeah, it's a lot tougher than it looks, I thought it would fairly easily since I have hoops with bball ... but man the timing is totally different. Loads of fun if you can get a decent set of people playing.

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: LordSnailz
yeah, it's a lot tougher than it looks, I thought it would fairly easily since I have hoops with bball ... but man the timing is totally different. Loads of fun if you can get a decent set of people playing.

Yeah well I signed up for a 6 person team.

Games are played at Jones Beach State park, NY and they are at night time from 6-9pm

The only thing is I want the 8:35pm game so I can get there on time after work and they told me that I would be put in an intermediate team.

I have only played indoor volley ball and it?s been a while, so they asked me if I was athletic and I said yes, so they told me I should be fine.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: spanky
Originally posted by: rh71
for the last time, stop asking me... I will not play topless volleyball with you !

how about bottomless?
perhaps only if your name wasn't spanky.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

are you playing in a recreational league or competitive league??

rec players in a competitive league/competitive players in a rec league = no fun

also rec league=:beer::beer::beer:

playing drunk in a competive league and you will end up with a Wilson or Spalding tattoo on your forehead...

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: spacejamz

rec players in a competitive league/competitive players in a rec league = no fun

playing drunk in a competive league and you will end up with a Wilson or Spalding tattoo on your forehead...

recreational league to have fun. teams referee each other etc. Troophys at the end of the session and party.

Originally posted by: DT4K
Bleh. Sand was made for doubles, not sixes.

they had teams of 4 also but more expensive. There are some 2 team leagues around but thats more expensive and more competative and time consuming.
I just want to have some fun and maybe meet some new people you know.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Jnetty99
Originally posted by: spacejamz

recreational league to have fun. teams referee each other etc. Troophys at the end of the session and party.

Bleh. Sand was made for doubles, not sixes.

they had teams of 4 also but more expensive. There are some 2 team leagues around but thats more expensive and more competative and time consuming.
I just want to have some fun and maybe meet some new people you know.

I was just kidding. For recreational play, I'm sure it will be a lot of fun. But if you move up to more competitive play eventually and start playing doubles, you'll see what I mean.

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003

I was just kidding. For recreational play, I'm sure it will be a lot of fun. But if you move up to more competitive play eventually and start playing doubles, you'll see what I mean.

oh don't worry about it.
yeah i'm sure two team play is probably fun and harder, i see games happening all the time at long beach, ny. I looked into it but it requires lots of extra time to do it unless its just playing with your friends.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
i love playing volleyball. i usually play indoor every summer. i haven't had the chance to play beach yet, though. i really want to give it a try one day.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: iamme
i love playing volleyball. i usually play indoor every summer. i haven't had the chance to play beach yet, though. i really want to give it a try one day.

It's definitely a different game, but also a lot of fun. The bad part is that you can't jump as high, but the good part is that you can dive for the ball without hurting yourself. I actually started playing in the sand about about 15 years ago and I've been playing open gyms and city leagues indoors ever since. The nice thing about playing sand over the summer is when you come back and play indoor in the fall, you'll be amazed at how high you can jump and how well you can hit.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: iamme

It's definitely a different game, but also a lot of fun. The bad part is that you can't jump as high, but the good part is that you can dive for the ball without hurting yourself. I actually started playing in the sand about about 15 years ago and I've been playing open gyms and city leagues indoors ever since. The nice thing about playing sand over the summer is when you come back and play indoor in the fall, you'll be amazed at how high you can jump and how well you can hit.

are beach regulation nets at the same height as indoor nets?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I would if I could find a team here in WI. Played for a few years in a row, then we took a break and the team never got back together. Sucks trying to find a team since most people alreayd have oens put together and don't need extra people.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Jnetty99

Sound like lots of fun, anyone else try something similar?
awesome :thumbsup:

is it co-ed?