Beach Bag for Canon 70D

Tencntraze

Aug 7, 2006
I'm going to heading to Turks & Caicos for my honeymoon in about a month. We're definitely going to be taking lots of pictures, but I know we'll have to be careful about sand getting into the camera or scratching the lens. Right now I have the 18-135mm lens, and may get a shorter lens (separate question and open to suggestions), but what would people recommend? Not looking to spend a lot of money, but willing to upgrade from a heavy duty Ziploc bag.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Crumpler
as for scratches get a cheap clear filter to use when storing the lens when on the beach, you can take it off when shooting

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
I don't know how a Crumpler bag would help protect against the beach more than any other regular bag. You could look into some water resistant types of bags, but even with those once you take the camera out of the bag and put it back in you're likely putting sand in with it. The key is cleaning the bag and everything out when you get back to your room.

To protect the camera while using it, check out some disposable rain sleeves. OP/TECH makes them at ~3 bucks a pop so you can use them once and throw them out.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
It's a beach. You don't need a special bag. Just don't change lenses with sand blowing. I think any bag would do. You don't want to be leaving it around on a beach though or it will get stolen.

If all you have is a 70D and an extra lens then just about anything will work. Decide if you want a messenger bag, a backpack, or just to buy some sleeves and bags for the camera and extra lens.

If you're going to be bringing it on boats and into some wet environments then consider getting a diving drybag. You'll still need some kind of sleeve/padding to put the camera in though.

Personally I like fast packs by lowepro. It's the fastest way for me to get my camera out but it's a bit heavier than just taking my messenger bag.

Tencntraze

Aug 7, 2006
Thanks everyone. Going to be looking into these ideas. I agree that I don't need a special bag just for these purposes, just looking to see how everyone handles taking cameras to places like this.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
Really you are only dealing with 4 things

1. Thieves
2. Sand
3. Water
4. Salt

Get a bag that you're comfortable with, don't leave the camera unattended, and keep the camera away from the sand and water. If it starts blowing like crazy protect the lens by turning it towards you and try to put it away until the wind settles down. If you're out long enough, and there's some moisture, you might get a bit of a salty "sticky" camera and you can just clean it off when you get back to the room.