Be my neighbor and buy a house for as little as $15,000

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rapier

Jul 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Kato
"FUNBOY'S WAS IN A TORNADO WILL BE OFF-LINE FOR 2 WEEKS!"

He posted in FS/FT so he still seems to be kicking.

Off for two weeks

I AM A FRIEND OF FUNBOY. HE ASKED ME TO COME ON HERE TO TELL EVERYBODY THAT
HE HAS NOT FORGOTTEN ABOUT ANYONE.
HE IS NOT A TROLL.
HE WAS CAUGHT IN ONE OF THE TORNADOS THAT HIT TENNESSEE AND WILL BE WITH OUT POWER FOR ABOUT TO 2 WEEKS. HE'S VERY SORRY, AND WILL BE BACK ON LINE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE....
"PLEASE" DON'T WORRY. AND THANKS FOR UNDERSTANDING.

honkee

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
i watch too many horror flicks and cannot see myself moving into what looks like the amityville horror.
:)

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
IM BACK!!!!! Sort of. What a hell of a scare we got. The power is on for now but I am sure it will go back out, but I hope not. We were hit by the tonado. It skimmed right over my house taking out some shingles off my roof and touched down across the street taking out my neighbors garage and from last I hear 2 horses out of 6. They had 6 but all I can see is four. This is supposed to of been the worst storm in the history of this town and I personnaly dont want to relive that ever again.

As soon as I can I will show pics of the after math in the little section I was able to get around in. Many trees down, poles snapped in half, and homes were destroyed but for some reason we here were spared the worst of it. The next town just less then a mile north (rutherford) was hit badly and soueth west in Dyer Count (next one over from us) was hit really bad. As if the Tornado touched down, pulled up a bit over our town, and then touched down again right across the street. I will never in my life forget the sounds we heard not only from the tornado but my shingles flying off and the debris hitting the house. But wanted to let you all know here that were ok.

Will have pics later.

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
'Be My Neighbor! Be taken out by a tornado!'

lol just kidding. If my entire family didn't live here in Cincinnati I would start looking for jobs in that area and seriously consider buying my first house there. As it is I can't imagine being away from everyone I know.

Rapier

Jul 30, 2000
Originally posted by: funboy42
IM BACK!!!!! Sort of. What a hell of a scare we got. The power is on for now but I am sure it will go back out, but I hope not. We were hit by the tonado. It skimmed right over my house taking out some shingles off my roof and touched down across the street taking out my neighbors garage and from last I hear 2 horses out of 6. They had 6 but all I can see is four. This is supposed to of been the worst storm in the history of this town and I personnaly dont want to relive that ever again.

As soon as I can I will show pics of the after math in the little section I was able to get around in. Many trees down, poles snapped in half, and homes were destroyed but for some reason we here were spared the worst of it. The next town just less then a mile north (rutherford) was hit badly and soueth west in Dyer Count (next one over from us) was hit really bad. As if the Tornado touched down, pulled up a bit over our town, and then touched down again right across the street. I will never in my life forget the sounds we heard not only from the tornado but my shingles flying off and the debris hitting the house. But wanted to let you all know here that were ok.

Will have pics later.

Glad to hear you're ok, Funboy42!

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Story about Floridians moving north (cashing in).

Thought it fit well with this thread. Story will only be linkable for about a week or so when they archive it.

They cashed in on sky-high priced Florida homes, then bought more for less. Mowery, for instance, paid $190,000 for the land and house. He sold his home in the Acreage, in western Palm Beach County, for $410,000 and moved his trucking business with him.

His home insurance: $800 now compared with $3,200. Property taxes: $1,100 compared with $2,500 for a home on 11/4 acres. Nor will he face insurance sticker shock in days to come.

Cheaper for sure. :p

And some drawbacks (if you want to call 'em that):

FAR FROM PERFECT

Though Floridians are coming, the welcome mat isn't out everywhere.

More people mean more roads, more schools and higher taxes. And that doesn't sit well with some locals.

"The way they're taking all our good farm land for housing, it'll be chaos one of these days," says Tommy Boyd, 58, a Tennessee native who participates in Mule Day. "I'd like for Tennessee to stay just like it is."

That's not likely. Change rolled into Columbia 20 years ago when a Saturn plant opened in nearby Spring Hill, bringing "Yankees," the natives grumbled.

Today locals can grab tacos at a Mexican restaurant as well as enjoy the all-you-can-eat chit'lins at Stan's.

An Islamic center, housed in a small concrete building, sits near a Pentecostal church. Black members of a Baptist church march in the Mule Day Parade, as do the Sons of Confederate Veterans, whose organization is headquartered in a former plantation nearby.

"People here have come a long way," says Jesse Cole, 48, a black man who as a child attended segregated schools in Tennessee. "But they still got a long way to go."

Some black people don't participate in Mule Day because it evokes a time when mule-drawn wagons brought slaves into town for auction, Cole says. And though black people find jobs fixing cars and maintaining lawns, he says it's hard to break into business.

"Here, you have to know your place."

WEATHER CHANGES

The Florida transplants must find their way, too.

"It's kinda hard," Joshua says about being the new kid in town. "They've known each other their whole lives."

In Columbia, friendships form over church suppers and through Bible study groups. "They're a little set in their ways," says Tera Gonzalez, 34, Mowery's daughter. "Church is your way in here."

Though she's happy she moved, Gonzalez misses family -- two siblings remain in Florida -- and friends. No more easy shopping, endless restaurants and entertainment. Tennessee also has something these South Floridians haven't seen in a while: winter.

"It gets cold and nasty here," Tom Williams says. "When you get to be 72, things hurt that you didn't even know you had."

But Mowery doesn't mind the weather. He planted new roots in the Tennessee hills and they've taken hold.

Says Mowery: "If I see a palm tree up here, I'll kill it."

gr8snakee

Platinum Member
Jun 26, 2000
I read first few pages of this thread and am convinced that you can have everything you need in one of these real estate goldmines....however what "HE" cant get is someone to play with. He is lonely boys and girls. Some of our computer rigs cost a 4th of the homes mentioned.

There isnt anyone thats wants to "LanParty" with em.

He just wants a buddy. Thats all.

Someone to temp the twisters.

In all seriousness, I hope everything is getting back to normal for you.

j/k

slothman

Aug 17, 2001
That's why you don't want to buy an already built home imho. Just buy the property and build a concrete geodesic dome. Take a look at http://www.aidomes.com and I hope you'll agree. Geodesic construction is superior in every way except for maybe looks, and if you want to have windows. But that can be worked around with external cameras and daylight-spectrum bulbs. Probably some infrared cameras that see thru walls would be cool too :)

At aidomes they warranty the structure against any kind of natural disaster regardless of force. That is practically unheard of in the industry.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: steaming79
i'll admit...those ARE cheap. especially since i'm a bay area native. but isn't TN like racist country?....

Naw, Indiana is actually the headquarters of the KKK these days.

phenderson

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2003
Indiana and Ohio...

Tennessee was the KKK founding place.
Indiana and Ohio have the worse activity. I believe Georgia and Mississippi are right up there too, but US Fed goverment concentrated realllll hard on Mississippi and killed the presence of the KKK there...but you don't have to be KKK to be racist, nor do you have to be Caucasion....

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: ActuaryTm
Ironic this thread was resurrected shortly after this one began.

(Personally, I will not tolerate infestation.)

If I had seen that thread I surely wouldn't have bumped this one with the linkage... I'll stick with hurricanes, at least I get some warning when they are coming. Yikes.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Wow, Funboy, I missed this thread, ages ago. Are housing prices still that cheap around there? I could stand to move. I'm in the Northeast, and services are good, but I consider myself a bit of a mid-westerner myself, having vacationed in those areas when I was growing up, during summers.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Oh yes, silly cheap still, getting on 1gbs internet verry son, for its hanging on the pole out my door, though I have 100mbs right now, but this is faster and cheaper. Spiders are all gone, kicked them all out. Havent had another tornado scare since 2006. More jobs to be had then before for they are doing up some of the major towns, and now its 13 years later and still not a single regret moving here, but has gotten better in some ways. My health has turned to poo, but I have some of the best health care facilities near by and at Vanderbilt in Nashville.

Houses can still be had for under 20K if you go to realtor.com and put in my zip 38330 and see all the crazy homes that can be had. If you got money, need to see what $300k~ will get you, for your mouth will drop :O :p

Still love my home though, and in the last 13 years I been here Ive put 3 caps in my ac unit, and had to replace my water heater, that is it, nothing more at all.

Still anyone can be my neighbor and Ill be happy to go take pics of any house your interested in if you are thinking of coming this way. As far as racist stuff, non exhistant for still what I have seen, I think Ive heard one person use the "n" word, and cracker onces as well. I dont tolarate that kind of stuff or deal with people like that, I can tell you that back up in chicago, Indiana where I mover from has more racist people Ive contacted with then down here, its been freaking wonderful :D

Reactions: pbroussard

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
I'm pretty sure I'm going to be doing a relocation tour of the South in the next few years. Was planning on Northern Alabama (my great-grandparents are from there), but I'll add your area to the list as well. I don't live in an extremely expensive part of California (Sacramento Valley), but those prices are still quite a bit lower than here.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Any coupons, MIR's or price mistakes that I can apply to these?

Wait a sec, what about price matching?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
More listings, and strictly in dyer, again if you put in 38330 in realtor.com

Damn...cheap houses...but you'd have to live in Tinnisee...not worth it to me.

last year, we looked around Memphis...and into northern Miss. :eek: we could have bought a freakin mansion for what we paid for our house here.