Be careful what you wish for....

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Meet the new acting Secretary of Labor-

{quote]
His appointment is far more consequential than those of the many acting secretaries who have served in President Trump’s patchwork cabinet. The man he succeeds, Mr. Acosta, spent two years battling other White House officials who demanded that he push through a sweeping anti-union agenda and coordinate his actions with the president’s political team.
Mr. Pizzella, who is close to many of the conservatives allied with Mr. Trump’s acting chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, and on Vice President Mike Pence’s staff, is expected to be a significantly more cooperative partner in those efforts, according to administration and industry officials.[/quote]

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/16/business/economy/patrick-pizzella-labor-department.html

Trump! Fightin' for the little guys!

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Meet the new acting Secretary of Labor-

{quote]
His appointment is far more consequential than those of the many acting secretaries who have served in President Trump’s patchwork cabinet. The man he succeeds, Mr. Acosta, spent two years battling other White House officials who demanded that he push through a sweeping anti-union agenda and coordinate his actions with the president’s political team.
Mr. Pizzella, who is close to many of the conservatives allied with Mr. Trump’s acting chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, and on Vice President Mike Pence’s staff, is expected to be a significantly more cooperative partner in those efforts, according to administration and industry officials.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/16/business/economy/patrick-pizzella-labor-department.html

Trump! Fightin' for the little guys![/QUOTE]

Well at least it's actually traditional for Republican administrations to have anti-labor Labor secretaries. No surprise. At least it's unsurprisingly predictable for an Admin that seems to go out of it's way not to be.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
All unions should be eradicated. We don't need them now that we have Trump.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I heard a lot of labor union members voted for Trump. This gonna be good.

He's popular in the trades which is amazing since he's like super famous for not paying trades.

These people never think they'll be the ones fucked over.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
He's popular in the trades which is amazing since he's like super famous for not paying trades.

These people never think they'll be the ones fucked over.
Don't kill their dreams of winning the lottery someday.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Don't kill their dreams of winning the lottery someday.

Basically.

I pay my fucking contractors but I'm a just liberal who doesn't "get" the white working class like a "very successful" business man who's spent a lifetime screwing them over because he knows they can be taken. If somebody gave me a time machine I'd go back to the early oughts and cut the brakes on Mark Burnett's car and the world would be the better for it.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016

I still remember all the union guys that voted for Reagan when I was growing up losing their jobs due to plant closures because Reagan championed the plants moving to where it is cheaper overseas and they still voted to re-elect him. Never underestimate the power of stupidity.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
When I was a union business agent, I knew lots of union guys whose ONLY concern was "the democrats are gonna take my guns!" Never mind that one of the main goals of the (R)'s is to eliminate unions and worker protections...

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I still remember all the union guys that voted for Reagan when I was growing up losing their jobs due to plant closures because Reagan championed the plants moving to where it is cheaper overseas and they still voted to re-elect him. Never underestimate the power of stupidity.
They are going to be automated away anyways. If they vote to. have no safety net when that happens, not my problem.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
When I was a union business agent, I knew lots of union guys whose ONLY concern was "the democrats are gonna take my guns!" Never mind that one of the main goals of the (R)'s is to eliminate unions and worker protections...

It's actually a bit more complicated than that. Prior to the passage of the CRA in '64, Democrats were largely anti-union and Republicans were largely pro union. A better definition of the dividing line was that conservatives were against unions and liberals were for it. Nixon and then Reagan made noises that were attractive to the southern Democrats and they gradually joined the Republican party and running for positions in it. They were referred to as "Reagan Democrats".

The shorter version is that union people in the north were largely Republican and their party leadership invited a bunch of union-hating racists to join and eventually take it over. As the party composition changed, the new leaders got the union members to continue voting Republican and against their best interests.

They continue to do so to this day.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
To the shock and surprise of absolutely no one.

"He's hurting the wrong people"

*Votes Trump in 2020 because anyone else is literally Satan's fiery cock incarnate... somehow*

*Man imagine how bad it would have been if [insert literally anyone else here] would have won!*

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It's actually a bit more complicated than that. Prior to the passage of the CRA in '64, Democrats were largely anti-union and Republicans were largely pro union. A better definition of the dividing line was that conservatives were against unions and liberals were for it. Nixon and then Reagan made noises that were attractive to the southern Democrats and they gradually joined the Republican party and running for positions in it. They were referred to as "Reagan Democrats".

The shorter version is that union people in the north were largely Republican and their party leadership invited a bunch of union-hating racists to join and eventually take it over. As the party composition changed, the new leaders got the union members to continue voting Republican and against their best interests.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Labor_Relations_Act_of_1935

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014

Yup, that was the start of the end for the Democrats. LBJ delivered the finishing blow. Why do you think FDR is so reviled among the conservatives of today? The problem for southern Democrats was that their party was slowly changing and they really had nowhere to go until Nixon and Reagan invited them to join the party. They both knew that the only way they could beat the Democrats was to get some of them to vote for them, which they were able to do. It was a craven political calculation on their part to win at all costs but I doubt they really cared that the monsters they courted would poison and eventually take over the party.

Years of promising them results and delivering nothing led to the revolt and overthrow of the old Republican guard.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Yup, that was the start of the end for the Democrats. LBJ delivered the finishing blow. Why do you think FDR is so reviled among the conservatives of today? The problem for southern Democrats was that their party was slowly changing and they really had nowhere to go until Nixon and Reagan invited them to join the party. They both knew that the only way they could beat the Democrats was to get some of them to vote for them, which they were able to do. It was a craven political calculation on their part to win at all costs but I doubt they really cared that the monsters they courted would poison and eventually take over the party.

Years of promising them results and delivering nothing led to the revolt and overthrow of the old Republican guard.

First off, the Wagner Act which is the NLRB was a Democrat-supported law...in 1935.
FDR was far from conservative. He was ultra-liberal.

I know the two parties have more-or-less swapped positions during my lifetime, yet my grandfather (born in 1895) was a die-hard Democrat and union man nearly all his life.
I guess I'm an "old school" conservative Democrat. I'm not liberal about many things at all.
I support the death penalty and might actually support its use being expanded to other crimes.
I'm pro national defense and military, BUT, don't support our troops being used as the world's police force or for corporate benefit.
I'm VERY anti-illegal immigration.
I'm pro-labor
I'm pro-single-payer health care. (obamacare is a fucking abomination...yet slightly better than nothing)

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Remember that votes were rarely along party lines back then. There were conservative Democrats and Republicans, just like there were liberal Republicans and Democrats. Both sides crossed lines all of the time, it was the way the game was played then. While it is true that the Republicans were largely opposed to the NLRB, it would be more accurate to say that conservatives were against it. This pattern of cross-party line support continued all the way up to NAFTA, which was a conservative cause that a Democratic president pushed to completion with conservative votes from both parties.

And yes, you are an old school conservative Democrat. My Mom and father were old school Republicans, with him a union worker (truck driver). He remained a Republican to the end, voting against his best interests, and my Mom became a Democrat in 1967 when Nixon entered the fray again.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Don't worry, all changes will be Obama's fault. I've worked with many hardcore republican union members that honestly think Republicans are pro-union and Democrats are the ones trying to undermine them. The brain rot is real.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Don't worry, all changes will be Obama's fault. I've worked with many hardcore republican union members that honestly think Republicans are pro-union and Democrats are the ones trying to undermine them. The brain rot is real.

There seems to be a near universal disbelief among those people that Republican anti-labor policies would apply to them personally since they are culturally in sync with the party.

LOL.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Dead wrong. The GOP has been anti-union since the Great Depression.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Remember that votes were rarely along party lines back then. There were conservative Democrats and Republicans, just like there were liberal Republicans and Democrats. Both sides crossed lines all of the time, it was the way the game was played then. While it is true that the Republicans were largely opposed to the NLRB, it would be more accurate to say that conservatives were against it. This pattern of cross-party line support continued all the way up to NAFTA, which was a conservative cause that a Democratic president pushed to completion with conservative votes from both parties.

And yes, you are an old school conservative Democrat. My Mom and father were old school Republicans, with him a union worker (truck driver). He remained a Republican to the end, voting against his best interests, and my Mom became a Democrat in 1967 when Nixon entered the fray again.

Yes to be clear the Democrats achieved their Congressional majorities back in the day through a bargain where southern Democrats agreed to go along with northern Democrats' economic policy agenda in exchange for northern Democrats protecting southern Democrats' efforts at perpetuating a racist apartheid regime. As the power and number of the northern liberals increased, they eventually didn't need to support the southern Democrats' racism anymore and ditched it. Then the racist southern Democrats switched to the Republican Party, which welcomed their racism.