Question BCLK OC of ADL non-K models apparently possible.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

GamerMeld video, apparently it requires a fairly high-end Asus mobo. Waiting for the ASRock B660 board that can do this, or a Z690 Pro4 board.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
HWUB testing a new MSI prototype B660 DDR4 board:
Interesting, but one thing that I didn't hear Steve cover, is, if you BCLK the CPU external clock, does the PCI-E frequency change, or does that have a seperate setting to lock it down to 100Mhz external clock? Steve mentions needing an external PCI-E 5.0 clockgen chip to even achieve the BCLK OC, so I'm going to say that's an implied PCI-E lock, but it wasn't explicitly covered.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Interesting, but one thing that I didn't hear Steve cover, is, if you BCLK the CPU external clock, does the PCI-E frequency change, or does that have a seperate setting to lock it down to 100Mhz external clock? Steve mentions needing an external PCI-E 5.0 clockgen chip to even achieve the BCLK OC, so I'm going to say that's an implied PCI-E lock, but it wasn't explicitly covered.

He didn't, but I think there would be significant problems with 30% OC of the PCIe bus, so I'm betting it's independent. In fact that might be why you need the extra clock generator. You run the CPU bus up in speed, while the external clock gen, keeps PCIe at 100MHz.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
View attachment 63216

413W for a non-K 12700. Insane.

BCLK OC is best for i3 and i5. Doesn't seem to benefit the i7 much.
It doesn't matter if it's K or non-K especially since the non-K runs at higher clocks than the "stock" K version...
Also it's full system power not the CPU alone, also also he said he did no Vcore fine tuning at all which could improve things quite a bit.
Also also also, nobody overclocks to run blender, for the thing you would do this O/C, mainly gaming, power consumption would be much much lower.

Jul 27, 2020
Also also also, nobody overclocks to run blender, for the thing you would do this O/C, mainly gaming, power consumption would be much much lower.
Maybe true but in the games benchmarked other than Rainbox Six Siege, 12700@5.1 Ghz isn't able to gain much from the OC. Even with lower gaming power consumption, BCLK OCing the 12700 doesn't make much sense.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Remember that's system power. More telling is the delta between stock and OCed operation: +139W
Have we figured out yet how many components this BCLK thing is overclocking?! Because if it is overclocking the whole mobo and all attached components...

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Have we figured out yet how many components this BCLK thing is overclocking?! Because if it is overclocking the whole mobo and all attached components...

It's overclocking the PCIe bus. Usually that just causes errors in anything attached. I think these builds rely on avoiding too many sensitive components (namely: NVMe drives) being on the PCIe bus, which leaves just the dGPU. Nobody has said anything about what clockspeed the dGPU might be running at or if it even uses the PCIe bus speed as a reference clock.

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
Beyond 2-3mhz out of spec, the NVME drive controllers seem to loose their minds. Most of the recent bclock builds I've seen recently use m.2 SATA drives and raids of 2.5 inch SATA drives. I've seen a few network cards not like a hefty bclock boost as well.