Bay Trail's not so bad... (N2830)

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
My guess is that the Windows 8.1 with Bing found on the tablets has less of the performance eating options on by default.

Makes sense. I suppose we could disable some of those even on desktop Win 8.1. I haven't optimized services and such like that since the 98/2000/XP days though.

Aug 11, 2008
We have a bunch of older core 2 duo machines in our lab, and they ran Office very well until they updated to Office 2013. Now they are extremely slow. I dont really know what the problem is, whether it is the online features or the programs themselves or some kind of poor implementation.

386DX

Feb 11, 2010
We have a bunch of older core 2 duo machines in our lab, and they ran Office very well until they updated to Office 2013. Now they are extremely slow. I dont really know what the problem is, whether it is the online features or the programs themselves or some kind of poor implementation.

Office after 2010 has a new "animation" feature that is suppose to smooth out cursor movement, font displaying, etc. But in reality it just made things feel slow. Keystrokes have a noticeable delay before they show up, pasting is slow, etc. If those sound like your problem try turning off animations in the settings.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Office after 2010 has a new "animation" feature that is suppose to smooth out cursor movement, font displaying, etc. But in reality it just made things feel slow. Keystrokes have a noticeable delay before they show up, pasting is slow, etc. If those sound like your problem try turning off animations in the settings.
From what I understand there is no straightforward way of disabling that unless a registry key is being used.

One funny way of doing it is by using Ease of Acces center to disable all animations within Windows. It disables Office animations as well. Source here.

1.Open the Ease of Access Center by pressing the Windows logo key + U. 2.Under Explore all settings, click Use the computer without a display.
3.Under Adjust time limits and flashing visuals, click Turn off all unnecessary animations (when possible).
4.Click OK."
One should also check other Office settings under Options > Advanced > Display, like subpixel rendering or disable hardware acceleration (considering there might be a bug somewhere).

Aug 11, 2008

Interesting. That sounds like exactly what is happening.

SammichPG

Aug 16, 2012
I think most of the blame is to place on the software side and the abuse of jscript by web developers without any added value to the user experience. II have a lenovo thinkpad x200s (low voltage 1.6ghz core2duo) with an SSD and browsing+office work (office 2010) runs absolutely fine on this machine.

I'm using linux with xfce (very light on resources) and heavily customized firefox with noscript, adblock, viewtube (no flash needed, it decodes through the vlc plugin 15% cpu vs 50-60%), both the cache and the browser profile are stored directly on the ram (synced every 30 mins or so).
It has a slight lag while loading a web page, but it doesn't feel frustrating or SLOW by any means, you wouldn't say that this machine was running such a slow cpu.
To make matters worse for the poor cpu I'm even using full disk encryption (getting your laptop stolen with dozens of passwords on it is a hassle).

Baytrail/Cherrytrail would be a significant upgrade for me since on top of single threaded performance increases I'd get another couple of cores, encryption instructions (baytrail has them right?) and even hardware accelerated h264 decoding!

TLDR the right software and system tweaks can go a long way in ensuring you can use your hardware for many years after your purchase, BTW turning off jscript on most of the pages I visit improves my experience further.

Last edited:

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
$299.99 now.
"Limited Time: Additional $50 off Included in Price." I'm not sure if it's $249.99 deducted at checkout or it's $299.99 already factored in. Dell makes shopping confusing for us. :whiste:

Regardless of the outcome, if one can score a Celeron Broadwell 15.6" with touchscreen for $219.99 or less during Black Friday, go get it. My experience with Black Friday in the past is Walmart and HP are the #1 most influential, best-selling, and highest satisfaction brand in America. Greediness at HP is worse than Dell, so most likely it will be Braswell Celeron N3150 for them. :eek:

Last edited:

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Having several days with mine, these low-end laptops have gotten significantly better since the old Bonnell-based netbook days (and also better than the Bobcat-based mini-notebooks). Better performance and fanless is definitely the way to go. It's better than the Samsung ARM Chromebook.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I have a Tablet with the Z3795 Atom Bay Trail Chip. I believe its the highest end Atom chip for Bay Trail, or at least it was when I purchased the tablet.

I primarily use it as a consumption device, and I also have a tiny HTPC in a bedroom with a Celeron 1007U chip in it, and I don't really see much difference between the two for day to day use. Both can play 1080p videos over HDMI to a TV just fine. (Tried a 20GB MKV file, no prob on either.)

They are fine for casual use, everyday use. (Which is what most people want)

Mind you I do have 4GB of Ram in both systems.

Last edited: