Battlefront VRAM Limits?

ReignQuake

Dec 8, 2015
Im playing the solo missions in Star Wars Battlefront wishing to do the training missions first. I came across a mission on planet Sullest called Overpower. Protect an AT-AT with an AT-ST. In the introduction scene the animation pauses every four or five seconds. Then piloting the AT-ST makes my game lag for half of a second each stomp or two stomps I make.

Battlefront recommended all ultra settings to me. I tried changing all of the video settings, the only thing that helps was setting Texture Quality to Low which resolves the problem, Medium wont. I checked Afterburner and memory usage is at 3500mb. I wondered if my system is causing this problem. Am I supposed to have this problem?

Intel 5930K @ Stock
32gb 2400mhz DDR4 G.Skill
MSI X99S Sli Plus
2x EVGA Geforce 980 4GB in SLI

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
What resolution? Anything under 4K, no. Vram should not be an issue. Either a game bug or more likely SLI rendering issues.

ReignQuake

Dec 8, 2015
1080p on the 359.06 drivers. I observed memory usage of 3500mb with a yellow line in afterburner, this is why I made the VRAM assumption?

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
How are you getting that much Vram usage @ 1080p? May be a memory leak, but more than likely SLI rendering issues or game bug. The 980 has full access to all 4GB of Vram, so using 3.5GB of Vram is not going to cause stuttering.

index.php

Last edited:

ReignQuake

Dec 8, 2015
The maximum I produced was 3621mb at 60hz with g-sync off. Scaling and FOV default, all settings at ultra. Could Sullest not be an average mission and example for Battlefront. Not had the experience of multiplayer as I wanted to resolve any potential performance issues first.

The issues with texture quality were caused by SLI, you were right thank you. When I turned the second card off I reset the settings to 144hz with g-sync on. All settings at ultra. Works flawlessly with ultra texture quality. 3100mb usage.

Surprising that a game this graphical would run better on a single card. I thought this would be Dice' baby and have all of the boxes checked. A single setting in this case causes performance issues, it worried me there was something badly wrong. I hope they fix this but less heat comes out when playing I guess.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
1080p on the 359.06 drivers. I observed memory usage of 3500mb with a yellow line in afterburner, this is why I made the VRAM assumption?

The yellow line just means that you're using more VRAM than what the graph maxes out at. You should change that.

Grubbernaught

Sep 12, 2012
There was a bug in the previous drivers that caused insane pauses and hitches in sli. Make sure you are fully updated, cant check version as I'm on my phone atm but the fix was in an update just before Xmas.

Not implying you haven't updated, but it caused the exact scenario described for me until the update came out.

There are links on the nv forums about this issue.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/900830/359-06-battlefront-sli-huge-mess/#4761274

Last edited:

Grubbernaught

Sep 12, 2012
Just saw you are using 359.06. Yes, these are the drivers affected by the sli bug.

A driver upgrade will fix your issues.