Battlefield 4 Rumors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Battlefield 3 was a major disappointment to me. Not only did they turn the gameplay into a rat-maze corner-camping fest, but they even screwed up the special items that made Bad Company 2 fun to play - going from mortars with a sniper to that stupid flying bot for example.

Too bad the only other larger shooters out there tend toward (yawn) realism. I'd love to see a BF2 type shooter, with helicopter capping, and rushing with 4 people in a jeep, to (most importantly) spread out flags on a map. No reality, just fun gameplay ftw.

Frankly, BF3 was a complete let down for me. I wish I had not bought it. BF2 was tons of fun. BF2142 even more fun...and then BF3 was a joke. Too much focus on fast gameplay and graphics...I really hope people get over their obsession with graphics soon...

Bobisuruncle54

Oct 19, 2011
The problem with BF3 is that it removed important elements that encouraged team play. BF3 can be fun but in a very light kind of way, it doesn't reward tactics so much as just amassing more vehicles and infantry than the enemy at a given location. Some of the gameplay from past BF games glimmers through and it is fun, but it is misses a lot of the depth the other games had.

IMO the maps are the main problem. They are designed to funnel the locations of fire fights to make it easier for some gamers to get to grips with. Lowest common denominator and all that.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
People criticize but describe no specifics. That is curious. The game lacks "depth"? What do you mean by depth?

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
People criticize but describe no specifics. That is curious. The game lacks "depth"? What do you mean by depth?

A 60 second list.

1. Things move too fast
  2. Commander mode gone
  3. no titan mode
  4. all weapons are virtually identical
  5. Awesomeness of deploying turrets and such from 2142 gone
  6. overall, felt like one gigantic cluster-F in every game I played, BF2 and 2142 actually encouraged teamwork well
  7. map design is uninspired, no BF3 map grabbed me like the BF2 or 2142 maps were able to. I can remember the intricate details of many BF2 maps...no so with BF3
  8. Unlocks in vehicles is pretty stupid
  9. Being able to buy all unlocks really just ruins the system and makes it feel like a cash grab. Which is all BF3 is.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I wish I could say I'm happy people like you aren't involved in Game Development, but I can't. Its those devs that release shit like BF3 and MOH:WF.

Woah woah woah. MoHW is on a completely different planet and should never be in the same conversation as BF3, let alone the same sentence.

It may use the FB2 engine, but it doesn't even feel the same.

DICE knew what to do with the engine. Danger Close seems to be like amateurs trying to put together something wicked after getting a few tips from the professional - it's still a miserable hack job missing just about everything that could be awesome.

If games like MoHW and COD are the guaranteed destination in the future, I think we should have faith in the BF franchise, for it will always offer so much more. Is it going to cater to that same crowd? Sure.

But guess what, DICE isn't entirely catering to the "COD" crowd - rather, they are following the e-sports movement.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Woah woah woah. MoHW is on a completely different planet and should never be in the same conversation as BF3, let alone the same sentence.

It may use the FB2 engine, but it doesn't even feel the same.

DICE knew what to do with the engine. Danger Close seems to be like amateurs trying to put together something wicked after getting a few tips from the professional - it's still a miserable hack job missing just about everything that could be awesome.

If games like MoHW and COD are the guaranteed destination in the future, I think we should have faith in the BF franchise, for it will always offer so much more. Is it going to cater to that same crowd? Sure.

But guess what, DICE isn't entirely catering to the "COD" crowd - rather, they are following the e-sports movement.

This guy is just a troll. Most of his posts for some reason are about how much BF3 sucks and he doesn't even play the game, let alone know anything about it. His anti BF3 trolling comments have been deconstructed a few times in the official BF3 thread.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
This guy is just a troll. Most of his posts for some reason are about how much BF3 sucks and he doesn't even play the game, let alone know anything about it. His anti BF3 trolling comments have been deconstructed a few times in the official BF3 thread.

Oh I know.

Following his antics in the official BF3 thread, it has been more comical than it has any right to be,

Oct 25, 2006

What. I HAVE the game and have put a decent amount of hours into it trying to find some fun. Someone who has blatant issues with a game is not a troll. But of course, because you don't have actual arguments against my points, I'm obviously a troll.

And there has been no deconstruction in the BF3 thread. The responses to my posts are "Well, that' the way Dice made it, and that's the way BF is going to be from now on. The previous BF games were unfun and if you don't like the "new" battlefeld, don't play" No counter arguments. Nothing at all. Just people claiming troll post because they can't refute it.

Well, the issue with the "don't play" argument is that I game them my money. EA could give less of a damn if I didn't play. They have my money. So the only way to fix this is to explain why BF3 is a bad game.

And as you can see from the thread, people agree with me. If you play battlefield 1942, people talk about how much fun 1942 is compared to BF3. But nope. You can only say GOOD things about a game, or you're a troll. Thats definitely how arguments work.

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
A 60 second list.

1. Things move too fast
  2. Commander mode gone
  3. no titan mode
  6. overall, felt like one gigantic cluster-F in every game I played, BF2 and 2142 actually encouraged teamwork well
  7. map design is uninspired, no BF3 map grabbed me like the BF2 or 2142 maps were able to. I can remember the intricate details of many BF2 maps...no so with BF3
  9. Being able to buy all unlocks really just ruins the system and makes it feel like a cash grab. Which is all BF3 is.

OK, so you don't like the game. Do you have a favorite game?

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
A 60 second list.

1. Things move too fast
  2. Commander mode gone
  3. no titan mode
I agree with you on number 9, the rest is total nonsense. Those things removed were removed for good reason.

IMO, 2142 was a horrible game.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
I agree with you on number 9, the rest is total nonsense. Those things removed were removed for good reason.

IMO, 2142 was a horrible game.

Honestly I don't really care if people buy their way to the top or not, I don't think it affects me in BF3 a single bit. If you want to ruin your own game, go for it. I agree it's a complete cash-grab gimmick by EA. Everyone dies just the same when I shoot at them.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

Map design was removed for good reason?

I agree with NikolaeVarius. As much as I enjoy BF3, I gotta admit: BF3's level design sucks ass. And I didn't even play 1942 or 2142.

Bad Company 2 was the first BF game I played, and the maps were excellent. While BC2 wasn't as large as BF3, the design felt much more focused and fun (compared to BF3 which tries to mix a hodgepodge of different playstyles to appeal to the largest audience). The destructible environments in BC2 would change the maps in real-time and force you to adjust your strategy. The game literally evolved as you played, and it was awesome.

Meanwhile, the map designers for BF3 simply drew up some huge expanses, put them on the wall, and threw darts to decide where the capture points would be. Flags are scattered around willy-nilly with no real rhyme or reason.

So why does BC2 - a small scale, spinoff title - have better map design then BF3, which is supposed to be a "real" Battlefield game?

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
Expect Battlefield to have a new release every year....

Also expect a map pack for sale every few months....

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
So because I don't like BF3 I must hate all games? Wow, you're dense.

Your reasons listed for why you don't like BF3 could really be applied to just about any FPS--the reasons you listed are not grounded in anything quantitative or qualitative that could offer up any validity as to why BF3 sucks. Most of your reasons can be summed up to "Since BF3 is nothing like BF2142, I'm going to hate it since I liked BF2142".

"Things move too fast". Seriously, come on...

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
So because I don't like BF3 I must hate all games? Wow, you're dense.

I realize that you can see how much I like BF3, and this makes me a prime target for trolling and I admire your efforts, but you just troll failed. I asked a legit question. I wanted to know what your favorite game was and then I was going to ask why it is your favorite.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Your reasons listed for why you don't like BF3 could really be applied to just about any FPS--the reasons you listed are not grounded in anything quantitative or qualitative that could offer up any validity as to why BF3 sucks. Most of your reasons can be summed up to "Since BF3 is nothing like BF2142, I'm going to hate it since I liked BF2142".

"Things move too fast". Seriously, come on...

BF3 took things towards the whole "more realistic" end where you die more easily. To some, that's great. Titan mode is something I brought up. I also brought up not liking the vehicle unlocks, such as having to unlock things as simple as missiles.

I'm not sure how the quantify the map design, other than that that there is no map that grabs my attention. Every map is just "another map" to me. It isn't like BF2 where I'd happily jump into Wake Island or Karkarand. I can picture in my mind how to run through Karkarand, where the tanks are, the bridge between the russian base and the rest of the city, where the tanks spawn there, the toll house and so forth. There's a lot about the BF2 maps I remember. Nothing in BF3 has done that.

Weapons are identical - that's quantifiable. Quite literally, most weapons within a class do the same damage. Nearly all assault rifles do the same amount of damage, same range, same accuracy and so forth. It really defeats the purpose of the unlocks. The only one on my list that you can really bring issue with is the speed. I listed real reasons, feel free to write them off, but they're still valid reasons.

There's tons of games I like, many games I still could jump into playing 5-10 years later and remember all of it. I can still remember how to get through all of System Shock 2, I remember all of Deus Ex (the original), a lot of the Mass Effect games, a lot of hitman levels, hell even maps out of CS:GO...BF3 just doesn't grab my attention.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
]Map design was removed for good reason?
[/B]
I agree with NikolaeVarius. As much as I enjoy BF3, I gotta admit: BF3's level design sucks ass. And I didn't even play 1942 or 2142.

Bad Company 2 was the first BF game I played, and the maps were excellent. While BC2 wasn't as large as BF3, the design felt much more focused and fun (compared to BF3 which tries to mix a hodgepodge of different playstyles to appeal to the largest audience). The destructible environments in BC2 would change the maps in real-time and force you to adjust your strategy. The game literally evolved as you played, and it was awesome.

Meanwhile, the map designers for BF3 simply drew up some huge expanses, put them on the wall, and threw darts to decide where the capture points would be. Flags are scattered around willy-nilly with no real rhyme or reason.

So why does BC2 - a small scale, spinoff title - have better map design then BF3, which is supposed to be a "real" Battlefield game?
I guess I was foolish to assume that people would realize the "things removed for good reason" would only be the things he listed as gone.........:rolleyes:

Since thats not the case, I list them for ya........from his list they are numbers 2, 3, and 5.

Like you BC2 was my first battlefield game, but unlike you I had mixed feelings about it. Its maps were not all that, in fact a few of them were downright awful. The maps I hated most were the ones with the flags all in a row, once a team capped two of them 90% of the time it quickly became a lame ass spawn rape. Most of BF3's map allow so many ways of attack its much hader to pin one side down like that unless the team is just awful. Also the player movement sucked ass (no strafe, WTF?) and the game to me was unplayable on anything other than hardcore because the weapons were so fricking weak.

I did like its destructibility and the Rush game mode, it was the first I had saw of either in a game.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Err... are you sure your A and D keys aren't broken? There is definitely strafing. :p
No there isnt, you cannot strafe as you run in BC2. You have to be looking in the direction you are running.

The addition of strafe running alone puts BF3 miles ahead of BC2.