Battlefield 4 Rumors

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
NeoGAF translates rumors from a Chinese website called ChipHell that claims to have details on Battlefield 4 leaked from EA China, as unlikely as that sounds. The details they list seem plausible, which proves nothing, so feel free to take this with a grain of MSG. This goes so far as to include a precise release date, saying the next installment in the military shooter series is due on October 23, 2013 (though the game's beta test is only slated to commence a month before, at the earliest).

:rolleyes:

0___________0

May 5, 2012
If this is true, I bet the part about "easier to pickup the game, to take care of players from CoD" will result in another round of pissed off BF game vets.

Last edited:

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
There needs to be more realism and less bullshit. More fatigue, limited fuel, guns that malfunction, EMP weapons. Make people work for those Helis and Jets - like put them in the middle of the map and firefight for them. Want to fly that Heli ? Team up and go get it. Instead of this magic spawn every round.

Yeah I know, I know. But I can dream can't I ?

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Sweet, diluting of the BF franchise! MILK! MILK! New BF every year!

You must have missed the part where there hasn't been a BF release every year.
So, I'll update you: there hasn't been a BF "proper" every year. I don't expect them to commence with that.

There have been back-to-back years of Battlefield franchise games, but not true Battlefield games. If you ignore titles like 1943, Play for Free, Battlefield Online, etc, the main titles are typically spread out a little bit. BF3 -> BF4 will be the narrowed launch gap between successive BF-proper titles, with two years in-between.

They might be dropping the concept of titles like the Bad Company series now, in favor of working on true Battlefield titles. I wouldn't expect them to even dream of pushing out a BF5 in 2014 (after a 2013 BF4).
EA is working on an annual release cycle to compete against Call of Duty - but CoD even has an on/off pattern. It's one series, then another... both just fall under the same general brand. EA is working on an on/off cycle with two brands, or... a BF/other/BF/other cycle. They are clearly hoping to make something out of the Medal of Honor brand. EA/DICE will make a BF game every other year, and support that with regular paid-content releases, and EA/Danger Close/other will do the same with whatever brand they can turn into a successful product.

We're gonna have to look at numbers in a few months to see how well MoH:W actually sold, and more importantly, how much multiplayer activity it has held onto. If it looks like a sinking ship, I don't know if EA will continue to push that brand, as that will be a second title of a relaunched brand that doesn't perform well. At that point, I would think the negative connotations with the brand will reflect on its value, and they'll need a new approach. Hell, I wouldn't doubt if, in the event they can't re-ignite the MoH flame, they'll turn some dev (possibly Danger Close still) on the Battlefield franchise. Take a true CoD-style, On/Off release cycle: BF4/5/6/etc are DICE titles, and in-between those releases, the other studio(s) release BF: Bad Company 3/4/etc, or BF:Something, possibly even BF:AnotherGenericShooter1/2/3.

My money is on proper Battlefield games releasing, at most, every other year; with expansion packs/DLC releases occurring throughout most of the in-between period.

Regardless, BF proper games are going to be an eccentric mix of play styles. There will continue to be large vehicle-based maps, but death-funnel micromaps are here to stay as well. The market hath spoke. And hell, BF3 gets the most play of anything on my PC - simply due to the fact that all those styles are present in one game. I can play a slow grind across a large map, or I can run around like I'm on crack through funnel after funnel in a small indoor/mini outdoor map like a generic CoD game. I can play with vehicles or play on infantry-only maps.
I just hope they continue to support PC-specific bonuses, like control options (mouse support rocks) and 64 player servers. MoHW really dropped the ball. The mouse feel is horrendous, and you can have at most 20 players on a server. That's simply retarded and backwards.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
We're gonna have to look at numbers in a few months to see how well MoH:W actually sold, and more importantly, how much multiplayer activity it has held onto. If it looks like a sinking ship, I don't know if EA will continue to push that brand, as that will be a second title of a relaunched brand that doesn't perform well. At that point, I would think the negative connotations with the brand will reflect on its value, and they'll need a new approach. Hell, I wouldn't doubt if, in the event they can't re-ignite the MoH flame, they'll turn some dev (possibly Danger Close still) on the Battlefield franchise. Take a true CoD-style, On/Off release cycle: BF4/5/6/etc are DICE titles, and in-between those releases, the other studio(s) release BF: Bad Company 3/4/etc, or BF:Something, possibly even BF:AnotherGenericShooter1/2/3.

Unfortunately the rushed release schedule coupled with using a brand new engine cause MOH:W to not live up to expectations. Don't get me wrong, the multiplayer is actually pretty except for a few glaringly bad design decisions (i'm looking at you red outline wallhack after getting a kill.) Given a little time to listen to what the community wants for MOH:W in a few patches the game could be really good. Unfortunately sucking from the get go is a death knell for any game that doesn't have the brand recognition that COD does. I may still pick up BLOP2 regardless of my hate for Activision just because I love Treyarch.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
EA China?

I guess with BF3 and all the expansions they'd need a boat load of people working on these games to have a 4th available in a year...

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
EA China?

I guess with BF3 and all the expansions they'd need a boat load of people working on these games to have a 4th available in a year...

There's EA studios everywhere.

• BioWare in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and Montreal, Quebec, Canada and Austin, Texas, founded in February 1995, acquired October 2007 from Elevation Partners. Also includes BioWare Victory which was integrated into BioWare in December 2011.
  • Criterion Games in Guildford, England, founded as Criterion Software in 1993, acquired in August 2004.
  • EA Black Box in Burnaby, British Columbia, founded as Black Box Games in 1998, acquired June 2002.
  • EA Canada in Burnaby, British Columbia, started in January 1983.
  • EA Casual Entertainment
  • EA China in Shanghai, China
  • EA Deutschland in Cologne, Germany
  • EA Digital Illusions CE in Stockholm, Sweden
  • EA France in Lyon, France
  • EA Freestyle in San Francisco, California, founded as EA Sports BIG.
  • EIS (European Integration Studio) in Madrid, Spain
  • EA India, Noida, India
  • EA Brazil, São Paulo, Brazil
  • EA Korea in Seoul, South Korea, started in 1998.
  • Danger Close Games in Los Angeles, California (includes Medal of Honor team, Danger Close), founded as DreamWorks Interactive LLC in 1995, acquired in 2000.
  • EA Romania in Bucharest, Romania, founded as JAMDAT Mobile Romania in 2005, acquired in 2006.
  • EA Russia in Moscow, Russia, translate in Russian
  • EA Mobile in Hyderabad, India
  • EA Mobile in São Paulo, Brazil
  • EA Montreal in Montreal, Quebec, Canada started in 2004.
  • EA North Carolina in Morrisville, North Carolina
  • EA Phenomic in Ingelheim, Germany, founded as Phenomic Game Development in 1997, acquired August 2006.
  • EA Salt Lake in Salt Lake City, Utah, founded as Headgate Studios, founded in 1992, acquired December 2006.
  • EA Singapore in Singapore
  • EA Sports in Vancouver, Canada and Redwood City, California, publisher of EA's sports franchise games
  • EA Tiburon in Maitland, Florida, founded as Tiburon Entertainment in 1994, acquired in 1998.
  • Easy Studios in Stockholm, Sweden. Founded in 2008 developing PC games for EA's new Play4Free series.
  • Maxis in Emeryville, California.
  • Mythic Entertainment in Fairfax, Virginia, founded as Interworld Productions in 1995, acquired in June 2006.
  • North American Testing Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, opened in September 2008.
  • Playfish in London, England acquired in 2009.
  • PopCap Games in Seattle, Washington acquired in 2011.
  • The Sims Studio in Redwood City, California founded in 2006.
  • Visceral Games in Redwood City, California, also has offices in Montreal, Canada and Shanghai, China; founded as EA Redwood Shores in 1998.

Oct 25, 2006
If this is true, I bet the part about "easier to pickup the game, to take care of players from CoD" will result in another round of pissed off BF game vets.

It's too late for that. We BF2 vets have laid the BF franchise to peaceful rest. Its obvious that EA is going to appeal to the lowest common denominator with battlefield even more now, now that MOH was a complete flop and so they need to capitalize even more on the BF brand

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
It's too late for that. We BF2 vets have laid the BF franchise to peaceful rest. Its obvious that EA is going to appeal to the lowest common denominator with battlefield even more now, now that MOH was a complete flop and so they need to capitalize even more on the BF brand

Hear, Hear.

BF3 Continues to piss me off even though I refuse to play it anymore.

Battlefield died after BF2, and even BF2 never lived up to BF1942/Desert Combat.

Remember the ranking system in BF2 when it was first released? How hard it was to rank up? I think the jump in XP from Corporal to Sergeant was about 10,000XP when you'd get at most 125XP a round. They then tweaked it to perfection after Special forces where the ranks actually made sense....

What the fuck is this Lance Corporal gold 2 garbage?

Also, Woohoo on the female characters in game. I mean I know we have legit women gamers but we DEFINITELY need more men using the excuse "if I'm going to stare at an ass all day it may as well be a woman's" while playing a female character a la MMOs & predominately FPS games like Skyrim.

Last edited:

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Is DICE going to make it where if you play as a female soldier, your weapon accuracy takes a dive but you can heal people much quicker with your field sandwiches?

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Is DICE going to make it where if you play as a female soldier, your weapon accuracy takes a dive but you can heal people much quicker with your field sandwiches?

:awe:

To be fair, there have been a few female medics receiving high accolades in the Middle East. (presence of sandwiches unknown)

Female still aren't permitted in the Infantry positions, so they don't find themselves in combat, but some are hardened enough to react to ambushes well enough.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
There's EA studios everywhere.

WOW!

Some of them are obvious developers from bought out studios. I'm surprised Mythic is still there, have they done anything in the last 10 years?

Then there's Maxis and The Sims Studio. Seems a little redundant.

I'm kind of curious about the China, Russia, Singapore, India, etc. types. I wonder if they are just for support or if they contribute to development or the like.

At any rate that's a massive amount of locations for what is mainly a software publisher.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Battlefield 3 was a major disappointment to me. Not only did they turn the gameplay into a rat-maze corner-camping fest, but they even screwed up the special items that made Bad Company 2 fun to play - going from mortars with a sniper to that stupid flying bot for example.

Too bad the only other larger shooters out there tend toward (yawn) realism. I'd love to see a BF2 type shooter, with helicopter capping, and rushing with 4 people in a jeep, to (most importantly) spread out flags on a map. No reality, just fun gameplay ftw.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Battlefield 3 was a major disappointment to me. Not only did they turn the gameplay into a rat-maze corner-camping fest, but they even screwed up the special items that made Bad Company 2 fun to play - going from mortars with a sniper to that stupid flying bot for example.

Too bad the only other larger shooters out there tend toward (yawn) realism. I'd love to see a BF2 type shooter, with helicopter capping, and rushing with 4 people in a jeep, to (most importantly) spread out flags on a map. No reality, just fun gameplay ftw.

BF3 would be better with some of the things BF2 had, like the ability to destroy team assets...oh wait, there are no team assets in BF3. Artillery is missed. The radar station and commander mode was great. Other than that, I think BF3 is great. I could only dream of a badass BF2143 release with epic MECH walkers etc. I think they should add a jet powered flying wing to the recon class, like that french guy who flies around with his winged thingy. That would be just great. Would be amazing to have small battle boats with bombardment capability and then have subs to counter them. The subs could even have cruise missile capability where it launches out of the water to attack land targets. Damn, those things right there would make the game so sick.

Oct 25, 2006
BF3 is missing tons of other stuff aside from that.

Also, the gunplay is too freaking easy and fast. Catered toward the ADD COD player.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
For anyone who's interested. You can get BF 1942 for free on Origin right now.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
There needs to be more realism and less bullshit. More fatigue, limited fuel, guns that malfunction, EMP weapons. Make people work for those Helis and Jets - like put them in the middle of the map and firefight for them. Want to fly that Heli ? Team up and go get it. Instead of this magic spawn every round.

Yeah I know, I know. But I can dream can't I ?

Go play America's Army...

Being that I own a nice collection of guns...the rifles I have, when used with spec parts, don't malfunction that often. In fact, my Mk14 and AR15 once properly cleaned up and mated with good magazines don't malfunction.

On the flip side of that coin, the AR15 can malfunction in such a way that it cannot be fixed without a gunsmith - the bolt carrier can become jammed inside the buffer tube. To unjam it you must remove the buffer tube needed specialized tools. Would you like to experience that in game? Suddenly your gun jams and you just have to drop it on the field and find something else. I sure don't want that.