Battlefield 2 Noob

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dudeman007

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
BF2 Special Forces FTW!!!

edit - BF2 got me to play computer games again after 15 years. Got me into TWL and CAL. Too bad the mods came out so late and there were so few good ranked maps. Still best game I've played.

caveman... are you caveman from binary?

What team?

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Acanthus
Most servers only run 3 maps, you know which 3 if you play the game a lot.

I played BF2 until the launch of these 2, clearly better... games.

No, I do searches based upon the maps I want to play. I like Sharqi a lot myself. But I also do searches for Special Forces and Euro as well.

If you are only playing 3 maps it's because those are the only maps you can play. I understand, a lot of people don't like the maps with aircraft on them.

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
I turned my back on the game because after 2 years they still havent patched it to acceptable playability.

The hitboxes still go crazy whenever anyone jumps, crouches, or goes prone. Aircraft still completely dominate the battlefield. (hence why a lot of servers are now no vehicles or simply dont run maps with jets). The server browser works unless you actually care about lag (youd think EA could make a working ping meter by now). Artillery hitting the roof of the tv center in sharqi and killing people on the stairs and the ground level.

That kind of bullshit making it from the alpha quality launch up through all of the patches that get us to where we are today is why i:

1.) never bought the expansions
2.) jumped ship as soon as a game that wasnt coded by retarded monkeys was launched

Its a great concept, and anyone can execute better than EA.

I see the problem, it's because you never adjusted!

All they did was patch the crap out of the game during the first year to please all the whiners. If they didn't fix your complaint then you didn't whine enough it seems.

If you had issues killing people that jumped or went prone then you should have killed them before they did that. Again, it's because you just aren't that good at the game.

Aircraft do not dominate. I have a blast in AA these days. Nothing is more funny than taking out some of the best pilots from AA on the ground. Use it in sync with your team's aircraft and you can dominate.

Never seen arty kill people in the TV station on the stairs. I've played that map the most out of all maps and I've never seen it done.

Pity you didn't buy the expansions. You'd either have more fun or more to whine about. :laugh:

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Jon, does anyone actually play the booster packs? I'm not too keen on buying Special Forces (I find the infantry combat of BF2 lacks compared to the vehicles), but Armored Fury sounds fun. I don't want to spend $10 with no one to play with, though.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: jonmcc33
I turned my back on the game because after 2 years they still havent patched it to acceptable playability.

The hitboxes still go crazy whenever anyone jumps, crouches, or goes prone. Aircraft still completely dominate the battlefield. (hence why a lot of servers are now no vehicles or simply dont run maps with jets). The server browser works unless you actually care about lag (youd think EA could make a working ping meter by now). Artillery hitting the roof of the tv center in sharqi and killing people on the stairs and the ground level.

That kind of bullshit making it from the alpha quality launch up through all of the patches that get us to where we are today is why i:

2.) jumped ship as soon as a game that wasnt coded by retarded monkeys was launched

All they did was patch the crap out of the game during the first year to please all the whiners. If they didn't fix your complaint then you didn't whine enough it seems.

If you had issues killing people that jumped or went prone then you should have killed them before they did that. Again, it's because you just aren't that good at the game.

Aircraft do not dominate. I have a blast in AA these days. Nothing is more funny than taking out some of the best pilots from AA on the ground. Use it in sync with your team's aircraft and you can dominate.

Never seen arty kill people in the TV station on the stairs. I've played that map the most out of all maps and I've never seen it done.

Pity you didn't buy the expansions. You'd either have more fun or more to whine about. :laugh:

Im good at all varietys of shooters, and the hitbox problems in the engine are well documented.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004

Well I didn't have much of a problem killing the spastic idtiots who did this, I just had a problem with game looking as if it were inhabited by spastic idiots! Dolphin diving was a flaw, it just looked completely retarded, and it detracted from the gaming experience. Those who got their panties in a bunch when it was removed are no better than those who get their panties in a bunch when it was still intact.

Yeah right :roll: Aircraft will ALWAYS dominate in BF2 and I wish I knew how to put this more tactfully but I think you're full of shit about the AA.

Gee, let's see here; lone little retard is sitting by one of 5-6 KNOWN AA sites around the map which just HAPPENS to beep and glow bright green when occupied. Not that it matters though because all these l33t pilots you say you bring down constantly straffe the area around each of these sites knowing little pissants like you are waiting for them to fly by. EVEN THEN it doesn't matter much because if they get a lock all they have to do is go real fast (Taladega style), turn a little bit, and drop a flare if they reaally feel like it.

No, the only way AA sites are worth a shit in BF2 is against a half blind special olympics runner-up in a chopper assisted by an intoxicated monkey with it's hands bound in a chinese finger trap.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
Jon, does anyone actually play the booster packs? I'm not too keen on buying Special Forces (I find the infantry combat of BF2 lacks compared to the vehicles), but Armored Fury sounds fun. I don't want to spend $10 with no one to play with, though.

Special Forces rocks and I highly recommend it. Vehicles and infantry is well balanced. No jets. Mobile AA to handle helo's. Lots of vehicles to get around the maps. Outdoor and indoor fighting. Grappling hooks and zip-lines to get onto buildings. Nightvision googles, tear-gas, etc.

Armor Combat is fun too. Definitely more vehicle oriented.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: dudeman007
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
BF2 Special Forces FTW!!!

edit - BF2 got me to play computer games again after 15 years. Got me into TWL and CAL. Too bad the mods came out so late and there were so few good ranked maps. Still best game I've played.

caveman... are you caveman from binary?

What team?

My BF2 name is Mojobaggins.
CAL - Critical Limit
TWL - OMG

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: jjzelinski

Well I didn't have much of a problem killing the spastic idtiots who did this, I just had a problem with game looking as if it were inhabited by spastic idiots! Dolphin diving was a flaw, it just looked completely retarded, and it detracted from the gaming experience. Those who got their panties in a bunch when it was removed are no better than those who get their panties in a bunch when it was still intact.

Yeah right :roll: Aircraft will ALWAYS dominate in BF2 and I wish I knew how to put this more tactfully but I think you're full of shit about the AA.

Gee, let's see here; lone little retard is sitting by one of 5-6 KNOWN AA sites around the map which just HAPPENS to beep and glow bright green when occupied. Not that it matters though because all these l33t pilots you say you bring down constantly straffe the area around each of these sites knowing little pissants like you are waiting for them to fly by. EVEN THEN it doesn't matter much because if they get a lock all they have to do is go real fast (Taladega style), turn a little bit, and drop a flare if they reaally feel like it.

No, the only way AA sites are worth a shit in BF2 is against a half blind special olympics runner-up in a chopper assisted by an intoxicated monkey with it's hands bound in a chinese finger trap.

I play BF2 nightly still...and I HAVE to agree with the comments above...

Anyone who says the Aircraft aren't over powered is full of it...and to say that you can actually kill something other than a pigeon with the AA is full of it as well...

Unless Stevie wonder is flying a chopper or jet you get smoked before you can even get a lock on...I can't tell you how many times I had a jet fly over...attempted to get a lock...get the lock and fire....NOT hitting anything of course...

15 seconds later from a 10,000 foot vertical dive...get machine gunned out of the sky by that same jet.

If they wanted to make it more realistic...leave the jets as they may be but give us mobile AA so they can't anticipate where the AA turrents are going to be...THEN it would be at least entertaining to fight the aircraft.

The Hitboxes are still fucked up and a real pain in the ass as far as I am concerned. if you have someone running lateral to you...your chances of actually scoring a hit are about 10%...that isn't a kill it is a hit, then when you actually DO hit them (puff of dust off their body) it doesn't friggin register as an actual hit!!!

I personally go through the roof when I am about to get run over as AT...and shoot my rocket at the on coming vehicle only to watch it go through the grill/windshield like fucking David Copperfield is driving the buggy :D

I still haven't figured out where to aim when a car is coming straight at me...cause I know that hitbox is lagging behind the actual car...

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
BF2 will never die, just like 1942.

yeah, last night there was at least 500 servers. game monitor says 10,000 are online at any given point...

etqw is just a crappy rehash of unreal 04.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
Originally posted by: leeland

I play BF2 nightly still...and I HAVE to agree with the comments above...

Anyone who says the Aircraft aren't over powered is full of it...and to say that you can actually kill something other than a pigeon with the AA is full of it as well...

Unless Stevie wonder is flying a chopper or jet you get smoked before you can even get a lock on...I can't tell you how many times I had a jet fly over...attempted to get a lock...get the lock and fire....NOT hitting anything of course...

15 seconds later from a 10,000 foot vertical dive...get machine gunned out of the sky by that same jet.

If they wanted to make it more realistic...leave the jets as they may be but give us mobile AA so they can't anticipate where the AA turrents are going to be...THEN it would be at least entertaining to fight the aircraft.

The Hitboxes are still fucked up and a real pain in the ass as far as I am concerned. if you have someone running lateral to you...your chances of actually scoring a hit are about 10%...that isn't a kill it is a hit, then when you actually DO hit them (puff of dust off their body) it doesn't friggin register as an actual hit!!!

I personally go through the roof when I am about to get run over as AT...and shoot my rocket at the on coming vehicle only to watch it go through the grill/windshield like fucking David Copperfield is driving the buggy :D

I still haven't figured out where to aim when a car is coming straight at me...cause I know that hitbox is lagging behind the actual car...

I couldn't agree more. That's why karkand is played so much, because it has no aircraft or helicopters. The AA is that game blows so much, mainly due to the fact that the jets can see you on radar, which is just retarded.

This led to Karkand becoming by far the most played map, along with Road to Jalalabad. Why? They had no Aircraft or Helicopters.
Even armored tanks could be countered well with a variety of methods including rockets, mines, C4, or jihad jeeping(strapping C4 to a Vodnik and running into a tank)

I had some fun with Special Forces though, Warlord was a pretty good map.
I got up to First Sergeant on BF2 and called it quits, I'll see how ETQW turns out.

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002

Woah! You know that AA is more than just the stationary points on a map, right? I'm talking about Linebackers and Tunguska. The guns on those tear up an airplane coming right at you. Then there's the aspect of trying to avoid 4 missiles that tend to go through flares most of the time.

Stationary AA are only good if used with other stationary AA. Gulf of Oman is an example at the beaches. But by all means get into a mobile AA and you should have some fun. It doesn't matter how good the pilot is, I can take them out. They are usually stubborn and try to come back at you too.

Doesn't seem like you are too smart with how to play the game...

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Actually, stationary AA works well too. Just wait til the jet/helo drops flares (they always do), get a lock again, and fire. Or just fire at them if they're flying relatively straight.

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
Originally posted by: EvilComputer92
I couldn't agree more. That's why karkand is played so much, because it has no aircraft or helicopters. The AA is that game blows so much, mainly due to the fact that the jets can see you on radar, which is just retarded.

This led to Karkand becoming by far the most played map, along with Road to Jalalabad. Why? They had no Aircraft or Helicopters.
Even armored tanks could be countered well with a variety of methods including rockets, mines, C4, or jihad jeeping(strapping C4 to a Vodnik and running into a tank)

I had some fun with Special Forces though, Warlord was a pretty good map.
I got up to First Sergeant on BF2 and called it quits, I'll see how ETQW turns out.

People play Karkand so much because on pub servers you rarely get cooperation to where your own team's aircraft and mobile AA can work together. You also get people that just want to pad their stats and Karkand is the easiest to do that on.

I enjoy being in mobile AA because you can really dominate the enemy if you know what you are doing.

dudeman007

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2004
Are you guys joking? Jets are a POS in BF2 compared to any of the other BF games, especially considering half of them don't get bombs. It's the helicopters that rape the game, but they've gotten pretty nerfed since the TV guided missiles were limited so much. The hitboxes are completely FUBARed but anyone who believes that they were going to be fixed is off their rocker. It was done on purpose for the whole "cone of fire" effect. I'm still pissed that you can't jump and shoot and how useless c4 is nowadays. The game is still fun to play now and again, but it's slow and aggravating when playing with a bunch of pubnubs. The desert conflict mod was the best thing to happen to BF2, but that mod team managed to fuck a perfectly good mod over by taking 2 months to release a fairly simple patch.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004

Woah! You know that AA is more than just the stationary points on a map, right? I'm talking about Linebackers and Tunguska. The guns on those tear up an airplane coming right at you. Then there's the aspect of trying to avoid 4 missiles that tend to go through flares most of the time.

Stationary AA are only good if used with other stationary AA. Gulf of Oman is an example at the beaches. But by all means get into a mobile AA and you should have some fun. It doesn't matter how good the pilot is, I can take them out. They are usually stubborn and try to come back at you too.

Doesn't seem like you are too smart with how to play the game...

haha, I'll concede that I'm dumb if we can both agree we're talking about the same game. The one I play contains mobile AA (which you were correct in pointing out that I didn't refer to it) that has 4 AA missiles with AA guns. Now, this is the same AA that travels at a blazing 5mph, possesses useless guns against half competent pilots (the ones that don't fly straight for the 10-15 seconds of constant firing it takes to bring them down), and has missiles that go right through an aircraft when it's flying head on. Ok, MAYBE you're right; maybe there are those pilots that ignore the reaaally loud siren that goes off when there's a lock. Maybe there are pilots who don't instinctively bolt for terrain masking while deploying a flare, and MAYBE there are pilots that, having easily evaded the only barrage that you should be getting off in your Tunguska, forget you're there on their impending return to the battlefield and thereby forget to take your minimally armored pea shooter out with their perfectly accurate nose canon before continuing on with their multi-hour death-from-above ass rape.

Yep, the game I play has a map called Kubra Dam that has F-15's and SU-27's which, in any round I've EVER seen, completely and utterly dominate the map since all their fodder is conveniently situated in a canyon that prevents ANYTHING from locking on more than the 3 seconds it takes for an aircraft to fly across the valley of raining death for 5 or 6 kills at a time.

The game I play also has a map called Gulf of Oman that could possibly be characterized as the LEAST favorable map towards pilots since there's not a whole lot of terrain masking available. Luckily for the half-competent pilots out there, that also means you have 30 or 40 miles of unobscured sight with which to see every possible GLOWING GREEN SQUARE on the battlefield. Hmm... from which angle of the 360 available should he approach from? Ahh doesn't matter anyways since he probably can't see through the building he's hiding next to anyways. After all, it would be sort of foolish of him to sit out in the open where he can be seen as a glowing green square from 40 miles away. But then again, does Gulf of Oman even have mobile AA?

Boy, i wish I knew where to find this game of yours where the AA missiles don't fly slower than the aircraft they're locked onto (and that's assuming the lock function even works correctly!) And to think there aren't people in that game who fly the perfect death machines at 400mph that can stop on a dime, slow down to 50mph to drop a bomb or two, then turn on a dime and rocket off again without a scratch. And WOW, the pilots in that game are dumb enough to let a slow moving, lightly armored, BRIGHT GLOWING GREEN, vehicle kill them not just once, but over and over!

Actually, even if I did know where to find this game of yours I probably wouldn't play it anyways; it's too much fun blowing up people who think they're somehow invisible in their mobile AA.

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
Wow, do you know what you use in joint effort with the AA on Kubra Dam? The F-18 and MiG-29 will destroy the F-15 or Su-34 (the Su-27 is the Chinese version).

I'm not saying that mobile AA are invincible but they work very well in deterring the threat of air support. Use them with some good pilots on your own side and you can practically eliminate the enemy aircraft. Yesterday I was on a Euro map and had a prime example of a bad pilot. The F-15 was dominating the entire time and I was in a MEC AA. The F-15 pilot was smart enough to pop flares and get away every time he flew over me. I killed him a couple times but he killed me a few times too. I got tired of the poor pilots on our side so the next time I spawned I got into the MiG-29 and took the F-15 out every time it was in the air.

It's a team effort in BF2. No one person can control a game. But I guarantee you that if you are in a scrim and have good pilots on both sides you will need AA to win the battle. I was always the mobile AA person when my clan scrimmed. I enjoyed it because as good as the other pilots were they couldn't get a chance to fly in ground targeting mode because our planes were always hunting them. You gotta work as a team and unfortunately on most pub servers you aren't going to get that. But it does show how effective AA can be. I've won my share of gold stars just by using mobile AA. I've also been called a cheater and hacker many times while using that as well.

FYI, Armored Fury booster is a prime example. AA missiles go right through flares and always hit.