Battlefield 2 demo to have time limit ?

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Isn't there ussually a time limit anyways? It may not be an hour or something probably like 20 minutes. Its for less than a month though so who cares. The full version will be out the 23rd.

Sforsyth

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2005
yeah almost not worth downlaoding that huge file for alittle bit a play if the servers where ever not full or MAXed out.

FluxCap

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2002
It is very worth it, I think the rounds are like 5 minutes but I am freaking have a blast. This game is solid, don't miss out.

Sforsyth

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2005
This demo version of Battlefield 2 has the following limited feature
set:

- Single Player Mode:
Gulf Of Oman, 16 player map
10 minute round time limit

- Multiplayer Mode:
Gulf Of Oman, 16 and 32 player maps
12 minute round time limit

- BFHQ:
Statistics, rankings and awards will not be recorded or awarded

I thought it ment it would work for like 30 minutes then stop working

can anyone send me the demo ?

ryanv12

May 4, 2005
5-10 minutes a round isn't bad...it's good enough to sample the game. It's not like it'll stop working in an hour anyways.

I want to download it, but I'm having big trouble because the servers are overloaded. I'll keep trying.

Sforsyth

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2005
yeah reallyt getting a torrent file but it's slow if I get it I will host it on an ftp tonight

ryanv12

May 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Sforsyth
yeah reallyt getting a torrent file but it's slow if I get it I will host it on an ftp tonight

:thumbsup: keep us posted. I don't see me being able to download this darn game for at least a day

KoolHonda

Sep 24, 2002
I'm getting it right now from Gamershell.com, but it's only running at 80 KB/s instead of the usual 333 KB/s:|

Sforsyth

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2005
Originally posted by: KoolHonda
I'm getting it right now from Gamershell.com, but it's only running at 80 KB/s instead of the usual 333 KB/s:|

that site isn't even loading for me

Sforsyth

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2005
Fileshack I'm getting it from 370 K/sec I waited in line for about 40 minutes almost done in 30 minutes well worth the wait.

KoolHonda

Sep 24, 2002
Took me about an hour and a half, but to me it wasn't worth the wait. Just a little better looking buggier version of Desert Combat from what I've seen so far.

Waylay00

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
As a die hard BF veteran, I was pumped for this game, but as KoolHonda said, it's just DC on steroids. It's alright, but all of this new technology featured in game kind of takes away from the fun of the game that BF1942 had. For instance, the commander tool is kind of useless, from what I've seen. Don't get me wrong, it is still a great game, and I rank it above all others, it just wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Maybe the retail version will be better.

Fokks

Oct 31, 1999
Got this from the Hard OCP boards... some people probably aren't seeing the time limit because they're playing on servers that have the #3 hack below :)

HINTS AND TIPS - Provided by Gamer's Hell

Some Tricks and Cheats for uber-popular Demo
Collected around some tips to enhance your Battlefield 2 demo experience; EA has a winner coming, expect huge ratings and awards around. All the tips below don't require any hacking and can be done by a midly expert user.

1) Intro removal
go to EA GAmes/battlefield 2 demo/mods/bf2/movies and move somewhere else or rename (or even delete) the demo_*.bik EA.Bik and Nvidia.Bik
not really generous versus people that brought the demo but undoubetly saves load time.

2) 1280x1024 resolution
change game shortcut to "bf2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 1024

3) Server Time Limit Removal
Open up the file gpm_cq.py with notepad, it's under \mods\bf2\python\game\gamemodes in your BF2 or BF2 Server Directory.
Locate the line host.registerHandler('TimeLimitReached', onTimeLimitReached, 1)
Place a # in front of it so it appears like (means commenting it out)
#host.registerHandler('TimeLimitReached', onTimeLimitReached, 1)
This will make the 12 minutes timer still appear but once it hits 0:00 the clock will disappear and you will be able to play until the tickets expire.

machstem

Nov 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Fokks
Got this from the Hard OCP boards... some people probably aren't seeing the time limit because they're playing on servers that have the #3 hack below :)

HINTS AND TIPS - Provided by Gamer's Hell

Some Tricks and Cheats for uber-popular Demo
Collected around some tips to enhance your Battlefield 2 demo experience; EA has a winner coming, expect huge ratings and awards around. All the tips below don't require any hacking and can be done by a midly expert user.

1) Intro removal
go to EA GAmes/battlefield 2 demo/mods/bf2/movies and move somewhere else or rename (or even delete) the demo_*.bik EA.Bik and Nvidia.Bik
not really generous versus people that brought the demo but undoubetly saves load time.

2) 1280x1024 resolution
change game shortcut to "bf2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 1024

3) Server Time Limit Removal
Open up the file gpm_cq.py with notepad, it's under \mods\bf2\python\game\gamemodes in your BF2 or BF2 Server Directory.
Locate the line host.registerHandler('TimeLimitReached', onTimeLimitReached, 1)
Place a # in front of it so it appears like (means commenting it out)
#host.registerHandler('TimeLimitReached', onTimeLimitReached, 1)
This will make the 12 minutes timer still appear but once it hits 0:00 the clock will disappear and you will be able to play until the tickets expire.

Awesome!

Thanks, I've been looking for this config since playing online last night without any time limit.

I think as far as a demo goes, this game is great. I have my graphics cranked to 6x, everything on high, and it's one of the funnest times I've had since playing on DC or PoE(BF:vietnam)

I was on a 64person server, with 52 people playing at once, and it was a blast. The commander tool, like the helicopters, takes a couple hours to learn how to operate effectively. If you're the commander, you need to hide out, be the guy on the frontline giving orders to your squad, calling in artillery strikes, using UAV to see which troops are around you. It really brings teamwork into play, and like any BF game, it is nessecary to win the game.

The VoIP is a great thing, and can get very annoying. I turn it off myself.

The only backdraw to the game, but isn't really.. ;)...is that you need a good system to run it. I mean, it looks REAL nice, and I'm sure the retail release will look that much better. I have my AA set to 6x, and it looks beautiful, crisp. The sniper outfits for both the American and MEC are really nice to look at, the jets are fun to fly, the HUDs are very nice and simple, they do the trick.

Having squads and squad leaders is tricky, but very useful when setting up strategies. I'm very excited to see what is to come with the retail. Big maps, lots of vehicles, lots of choices.

I think personally, EA and DICE have done a great job, and I'll be proving that by going to buy the game the day it comes out.

PEACE