Battlefield 1942 free on Origin right now.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 25, 2006
Ok, Ill feed you...troll.

If only you could see my FPS library that goes back to the original Doom.....

I havent touched BF3 since Warfighter released, and I havent even played that in over a week. Been kinda busy with real life other than BS'ing with your dumb ass on these forums.

I merely meant that 1942 is an old game that is showing its age and for me its hard to go back to something that looks like an 8bit atari game. LOL

Oh man, I just love how the only answer to legit criticism to a game is "troll" because you just don't have an answer for any of it.

1942 still has great gameplay. The only reason you don't like it is because you can't run around like in COD or BF3. You actually have to aim and account for recoil.

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007
Oh man, I just love how the only answer to legit criticism to a game is "troll" because you just don't have an answer for any of it.

1942 still has great gameplay. The only reason you don't like it is because you can't run around like in COD or BF3. You actually have to aim and account for recoil.

You're putting words to someone else mouth when he already said that the reason he can't get onto it is

I merely meant that 1942 is an old game that is showing its age and for me its hard to go back to something that looks like an 8bit atari game

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Nik is the very definition of an internet troll. He posts outlandish things just to try to get a rise out of someone and repeats his tired old arguments over and over ad nauseum in the same threads. I occasionally feed him a little, just for my own giggles. :)

BTW Nik, I did just fine running around controlling my recoil in what little I played of both BF2 and 1942. In the 10 minutes I played 1942 last night I killed every guy on foot that I saw. I was 5-0 before being caught in the open by some pussy in a tank. The rest of the time I spent looking over the bland wide open map. If I took the time to learn the maps Id be just as effective there as I am in any other game, but Im not wasting my time playing old outdated games.

Outdated is the reason they are free and 10 years from now when we are playing BF14, BF3 will be free and Ill feel the same way about it.

realjetavenger

Dec 8, 2008
Haven't played this in a long time since I could never resolve a conflict where the game kept constantly crashing on my current rig. DL'd it last night and played for about a half hour.
Man this game is fun. Sure, the graphics suck compared to what's come out since this game was new but it's still fun. For better or worse it is a very different game than the current crop of FPS's.
Of course, I had forgotten all the console commands but it didn't take long to realize spamming Q does absolutely nothing. They sure did load a lot of commands in those F keys and in the short time I played could not figure out/remember which one to hit to warn teammates about a tank/plane/enemy soldier. But it was nice when I shot someone, it actually registered a hit on that person. Got a lot of 1 hit kills with the bolt action rifle the engineer carries.
Sure were a lot of guys who apparently did not forget how to fly in this game. Geez, even the P51's were carpet bombing the uncaps. Still, was easy enough to escape that (just hop in a jeep and drive out of it and go cap a flag the other team was ignoring :ninja: ).

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
The good old days, back when shooters had no bullet drop and snipers actually had an impact. The head shots are still hilarious :D.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Well I downloaded it and gave it try, but after playing BF3, its like jumping out of a new Ferrari and into a Model T. LOL

It was the same when I tried to go back to BF2 a few months ago. Of course, in my mind BF2, 1942 and 2142 all looked like BF3. :biggrin:

I'm gonna grab this, mainly to see if I can use the key to increase my veteran status. Someone used my key for 1942, so its the only Battlefield that I dont get credit for.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Some of the guys in the 'RAW: Rebels at War' clan are playing a mod of BF1942, 'Desert Combat'. They really like it. I may give it a shot.

astrosfan315

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2002
I miss 2142. That game rocked, Titan mode made it SO worth it. Was so awesome to be boarding the enemy titan and fighting to make it to the core, or defending long enough for your team to make to to the other titan's core. IE, real objectives.

+1!!

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
1080p mod is not working for me. It just overwrites my file even though I change permissions and make it read only.

Lifted

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2004
Is this the full version?

Single player works fine, but whenever I try to join a server I get a box that says 'invalid cd key' and when I click OK the game closes.

Anyone else having this problem? Maybe it's just the servers I'm joining.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Is this the full version?

Single player works fine, but whenever I try to join a server I get a box that says 'invalid cd key' and when I click OK the game closes.

Anyone else having this problem? Maybe it's just the servers I'm joining.
Same happened to me. I found this fix on the battlelog forums, it worked for me.

1. Click start menu, type regedit in the search field (or hit windows+r if you do not have vista/7)

2. Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Wow6432Node \ Electronic Arts \ Origin\Battlefield 1942 \ergc (FOR 64bit OS)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\Origin\Battlefield 1942\ergc (FOR 32bit OS)

3. On the right side you should see a "registry key" named default, double-click it.

4. Type in your product key (both numbers and letters accepted)
(to find your product key, right click battlefield 1942 in origin, game information/detail, and you should see your product key)

5. Click ok, try launching battlefield 1942 again.
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/en/forum/threadview/2832654625305853820/1/

maevinj

Nov 20, 2004
Man I played about 20 minutes last night. I forgot how much better the airplanes are than the jets! I can actually dogfight and kill people. I think my favorite though, was getting in the submarine and taking out a destroyer!
I wish they would just update the graphics for this game. I would be happy.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
This is easily one of the Best TEAM based shooters ever.. Tribes must be mentioned also.. My question is.. are there enough players? I don't want to join in with all the "current player s don't know how to play a team based game" but after some BF3, COD II and almost anything FPS on LIVE its not a stereo type.. its a FACT.. players are all about kill counts, no teamwork at all. I doubt hardly any of them will see gameplay of this type as fun.. no stats..

Loved BF42 and would even install ORGIN (better know as STEAM is making boatload of cash, EA likes cash, MAKE US A STEAM LIKE CLIENT!) to get it.. that is if there are enough servers and players..

So again.. how is server counts? player counts?

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Im seeing lots of servers with decent population but everyone seems to be doing their own thing and lone wolfing it from what little Ive played.

I gave it another try today mainly just to look over some different maps. Ive played on several different maps now and the terrain is just barren, not even a tree or rock to be seen. Are they all like that?

I was on a dominating team and ended up just spawn camping with a sniper from a mile away, got bored with it pretty quick.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Man I played about 20 minutes last night. I forgot how much better the airplanes are than the jets! I can actually dogfight and kill people. I think my favorite though, was getting in the submarine and taking out a destroyer!
I wish they would just update the graphics for this game. I would be happy.

Yeah man the planes are way cooler and more fun if you ask me. Took actually a good amount of skill to bomb tanks and such too. Even shooting them down was way more fun and satsifying than the crap we have in BF3.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Yeah man the planes are way cooler and more fun if you ask me. Took actually a good amount of skill to bomb tanks and such too. Even shooting them down was way more fun and satsifying than the crap we have in BF3.

And you actually had AA stations that could take down planes.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Think i will give this game a shot.

I have a hard time letting most of my older games go,i still have UT3 installed,BF2 and even tho i play BF3 most of the time,i'm even reinstalling BC2 as we speak then i will download 1942.

My first game on pc was BF2 back in 2006,so i could get interested in the game that started it all.:)

Last edited:

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU....

so
many
clients

Free Bioshock had me adding Gamefly, and now this has me adding Origin.

scooterlibby

Feb 28, 2009
I miss 2142. That game rocked, Titan mode made it SO worth it. Was so awesome to be boarding the enemy titan and fighting to make it to the core, or defending long enough for your team to make to to the other titan's core. IE, real objectives.

Soo true. And while I like BF3, I echo the sentiments of others that it'd be great if teamwork and winning mattered.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Been playing a bit of campaign and for the most part its fantastic.

Looks like conquest for the most part on different maps but still enjoyable,i could see why so many people loved 1942.

Little more time with it and just perhaps i might enjoy it even more then i did BF2.

endlessmike

Jul 24, 2007
Thanks for posting this, made my day yesterday. A few thoughts after an enjoyable afternoon back from a probably 7 year break...

The graphics have actually held up okay considering this is a ten year old game. Nothing amazing but certainly not poor enough to detract from enjoying the game (If you enjoyed it before. New players, maybe not.).

Despite the apparent amount of new players, most people were actually playing for the team and working towards objectives. I suppose when an AT guy only has a bazooka and pistol, there's not much choice.

Sniping is way easier than I remembered it being. Having a computer that can actually keep up now probably helps.

New habits die hard. Couldn't tell you how many times I found myself hitting Q to spot.

Limited ammo in vehicles is still a good idea. So is lack of auto-repair.

Forgot how big some of the maps are. And there's not always a jeep waiting for you. It's never enough to be terribly annoying, but it definitely makes you more cautious knowing you won't be able to spawn right back into the fight.

I enjoy BF3 very much. But this is just still so much fun. More fun? Maybe. Different fun, definitely.